Post Edit History - REALLY NEED THIS

connorhawke

It's a very good idea to have this feature in IPB.

My opinion is that it sounds like a nice feature, but could cause large databases to grow in size greatly. This (database size) can be a real problem for very large boards.

You are right.
But.. of course a feature like will have an on/off switch.
You might as well warn users when they are trying to enable this feature that it may make their databases bigger.
Because there are who won't care about that, because they do large space plans for their DB, and there are others who will prefer to use it because they have small space for their DB.

I think that's a good idea.

Edit:
Plus, I have an awosme idea that can solve that anyways.
You might also add a setting that will say how much time a post history record will be saved.
Let's say for example I set it to 1 month, so after 1 month it'll be removed. And there will be a cron job process that will check every time and remove all the old records.
That way you always keep your DB smaller then expected.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My suggestion was for the sake of avoiding useless clutter as well as cutting back on database space.

It should be a confgurable option. Those worried about DB space could disable it, while others who dont have this constraint could enable it.

It should be a confgurable option. Those worried about DB space could disable it, while others who dont have this constraint could enable it.

My suggestion was for the sake of avoiding useless clutter as well as cutting back on database space.

"This post has 6 edits logged from the last 10 minutes"

I don't consider database space a real dramatic constraint, but it's pointless to log edits made within such a short time span, since it's (almost always) just quick edits to fix typos and grammatical errors.

10 minutes may be too long for some larger boards, and some may simply not want it, which is why I also support it being a definable setting regardless.

I think this is a very popular feature request and one that we should be able to accommodate in a future update. It's too late for 3.4.0 but I'll keep this in mind for 4.0.

Feels like such a long, long way away. :unsure:

But it's great to have confirmation.

But it's great to have confirmation.

Keep it in your mind. :smile:
Just as I keep in my mind reply in an email to a tread.
That will be in 5.0 but the latest in 6.0 (Provided still will be a need for forum software that time.)

I think the main reason why it would be nice is that it's very easy for admin accidentally to edit a post instead of quote it (which is pretty embarrassing).

Never happened to me :unsure:

But, I'm sure it'd be helpful for you in that sense as well!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived