Post Edit History - REALLY NEED THIS

connorhawke

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

My opinion is that it sounds like a nice feature, but could cause large databases to grow in size greatly. This (database size) can be a real problem for very large boards.

So make it a toggle option, an ability to prune histories after X days, and honestly disk space is cheap anyway. The benefit outweighs the cons. We use the post history mod and it honestly doesn't impact disk space as much as you'd think.

UDPATE: Damn.. didn't notice this thread was already 6 pages.. just read the OP. Nevermind!

My main concern is also similar with bfarber. It is a good option but for any big board , this will be a server killer option.

Let the forum owner kill his/her server...or clean the history...or disable the function.

My main concern is also similar with bfarber. It is a good option but for any big board , this will be a server killer option.

Hi...

I have built and run some large sites. AVSForum.com is one of them. It was never an issue and is a major plus to have.

Lets face it, disk space is cheep and this really is not even close to a server killer.

David Bott

Founder - AVSForum.com, DBSTalk.com, TiVoCommunity.com, IPTVConnection.com, Home Theater Cruise, LLC, DBNet Consulting, LLC

Connecting to Over 5 Million Unique Enthusiasts a Month

Hi...

I have built and run some large sites. AVSForum.com is one of them. It was never an issue and is a major plus to have.

Lets face it, disk space is cheep and this really is not even close to a server killer.

David Bott

Founder - AVSForum.com, DBSTalk.com, TiVoCommunity.com, IPTVConnection.com, Home Theater Cruise, LLC, DBNet Consulting, LLC

Connecting to Over 5 Million Unique Enthusiasts a Month

Congrats on your big boards however it is clear that you have no idea what my and bfarbers concerns are related to. It has nothing to do with disk space.

Not saying I did...just saying that it had not been an issue for us at all. Hey as long as you an turn it off, it will be your choice to use or not use. So no matter really.

After all, you did say "It is a good option but for any big board, this will be a server killer option." And it clearly is not ANY BIG BOARD. :smile:

If something as simple as a post edit history function is enough to kill your forum, even if it is a "big board," my opinion is there's something else wrong here. You're running on hardeware that is literally only barely capable of sustaining your traffic, and that is not a good thing.

I would have it set so that only staff members can view a posts edit history, so it shouldn't waste an additional query on every topic view for regular members, as they will have no need to check a post for its edit history. It should only require an additional query for staff members and for when regular members submit an edited version of their posts.

Is there any talk about making this even as an option for board owners to select it?

I think this is a very popular feature request and one that we should be able to accommodate in a future update. It's too late for 3.4.0 but I'll keep this in mind for 4.0.

I think IPB is aware by now that this is a feature in fairly high demand.

Archived