Small Marketplace issue/mention

DesignzShop

I spent almost 4 hours creating a detailed html page (image screens/instructions) showing how to create a links system in IPContent, put it in a zip file and submitted it to marketplace so people would have a choice for free vs paid apps. Not to mention this would show your customers how easy it is to use Content and possibly change some minds on people giving it a shot that fear it may be too much for them. My file was rejected because it was not a modification. Instead, I was told to stick it in a lessons section. Wherever that is.. I wasted my time I feel and I do not want to take more time out relocating this information to some dark dank corner that I have never seen here. This should be a viable option against paid and should get the exposure paid does imo. If it's not in the marketplace it doesn't get the type of recognition it needs imo. Maybe in the future someone could add a section to Marketplace for these types of things so others have a choice, especially in content. I'm really being drained of wanting to help with content. I had a classifieds system I was working on releasing too. No way I will finish that now.

Regards

I spent almost 4 hours creating a detailed html page (image screens/instructions) showing how to create a links system in IPContent, put it in a zip file and submitted it to marketplace so people would have a choice for free vs paid apps. Not to mention this would show your customers how easy it is to use Content and possibly change some minds on people giving it a shot that fear it may be too much for them. My file was rejected because it was not a modification. Instead, I was told to stick it in a lessons section. Wherever that is.. I wasted my time I feel and I do not want to take more time out relocating this information to some dark dank corner that I have never seen here. This should be a viable option against paid and should get the exposure paid does imo. If it's not in the marketplace it doesn't get the type of recognition it needs imo. Maybe in the future someone could add a section to Marketplace for these types of things so others have a choice, especially in content. I'm really being drained of wanting to help with content. I had a classifieds system I was working on releasing too. No way I will finish that now.

Regards

... did said .zip contain a usable installable file?
does it contain code to ... do something? sometimes, the the proper place for an item is in a how-to section.... just saying....also... you ARE aware you CAN actually package up a fully functional database independent IPC template set? again... just saying...mayhap that 4 hrs was better spent templating and exporting with an included readme.... I can guarantee that would incur results, EG acceptance in MP... a readme.html file by itself is... well, a "How-To" without the standing code to back it up.

The Marketplace Guidelines do cover this:

IPS will review all submissions into the IPS Marketplace to be sure they work as described, work within the IP.Board framework, and do not create issues (such as conflict with other function or are so inefficient they create server performance problems). This means that we will only accept submissions that are designed to work as IP.Board would intend: hooks, language packs, skin packs, IP.Content blocks/templates, etc. Pretty much anything that can be imported via the AdminCP.

Full applications will also be allowed if they use IP.Board's application framework. We will not accept code-level modifications. Code-level modifications or submissions that do not fit into the description above cannot be in the IPS Marketplace. Those type of resource can of course still be offered on your own web sites.

As it states there, we do not accept code-level modifications in the Marketplace, we only accept submissions that can be added to your site via the tools built into the Admin CP. Granted, these guidelines are not very visible (I'm looking at you, IPS), but there are actual guidelines that we do go by for this.

I'd love to hear good constructive feedback on how we can improve the Marketplace and get any kind of resource the publicity it deserves, but I think that should be discussed a bit more maturely than this. I certainly do give a rats behind when it comes to this community.

It did not really qualify as a Marketplace file as it was a readme.htm file with linked images :) , I do appreciate the time you have taken to write it (as per the reply I sent to you) and pointed out where it could be posted so its of value to others, complete with a link.

Forgive me, but I am surprised at your response to the PM I sent you explaining why we could not accept it as we could not have the Marketplace full of readme files. The Articles section is the ideal place for it.

I will agree the Community Contributed Articles do not enjoy the same exposure currently as they have done in the past, but I believe that is being discussed.

Seriously... I offered a links directory, the same as the paid links directory. Difference here is someone else made it for others and is charging for it while I give others the opportunity to do it on their own and it doesn't cost them a red cent, much time to create, the ability to not relay on a developer that says he'll do something then takes months to do it or up date it etc... etc.... Plus it's not a third party script and IPB supported because it's all their own script at work.. Again, it's a link directory, so it's a read me file, it's still a links directory for IPContent. It is what it is and how you look at what I had to offer imo is wrong. One thing for sure is I do not loose here, IPB does in more ways than 1 and so does its customers wanting/needing more choice and options. I still love IPB, great software and Customer support, community and marketplace however just isn't my cup o tea I guess. Unless these products are offered side by side with the others then there's really no use to it because the people looking for options usually will head to the market place. I've been with content since around the beginning I think and that community has suffered somewhat for resources. I guess though.. Just trying to help out and don't really feel good about that choice now. Wasted my time for sure

regards

The IPS Resources search also searches the resources system - we introduced this recently to give such areas greater exposure :smile:

Whatever happened to the Resources section? The user-contributed articles were great, but since the site was updated I can't even find them anymore, and I spent a good 20 minutes looking for it, as I had something I wanted to submit. At the very least, can the link please be made a little more visible - like maybe in the Resources bar?

Seriously... I offered a links directory, the same as the paid links directory. Difference here is someone else made it for others and is charging for it while I give others the opportunity to do it on their own and it doesn't cost them a red cent...

The difference is, Brandon's submission was an IP.Board application he was the old author of, and his submission fits the guidelines of what is allowed in the Marketplace, and yours was a guide you wrote that does not fit into the Marketplace guidelines. Andy explained to you in the PM the proper place for it to be submitted, and you've chosen to not do that. Instead you decided to make this public outcry about how you feel you've been wronged.

I'm sorry you felt you wasted your time, but I looked at the guide you offered and it was actually quite nice; I wish you would submit it as a guide for others to use as you were directed to do. But it seems to me that you just want to complain instead of giving constructive feedback on how submissions like yours should be handled. As we've stated above, we'd love to hear from folks as to what they'd like to see changed to help the resources community, but I'm not actually seeing you do this.

It kind of sucks being in the position Andy and I are in in cases like this. We don't get any praise for the free work we do for the community, but any time we have to enforce the guidelines we've been asked to enforce by IPS, we come off as the bad guys. Sigh...

I do not believe "anyone" at IPS is a bad guy. :) Just the opposite. I've had nothing but praise for the people and software anywhere I've posted, even at my own forum which I made a post about the updates on my site just a couple of days ago and again praised IPB and their awesome support. Making a public post allows others to add their thoughts. It wasn't a public grilling. I do think it's wrong, but I understand your position. The pm's we exchanged had no mention or ask on how IPB could improve issues like this. Frankly, I'm more than likely not smart enough to figure it out either so it's probably best no one asked my opinion anyhow. The community however contributes to IPB and they may however be able to better come up with an idea over myself.

we'd love to hear from folks as to what they'd like to see changed to help the resources community, but I'm not actually seeing you do this.

I believe my suggestion was mentioned however, you seemed to not see that which is ok. So that's why the community is a better place for this issue, They can help and suggest.

Andy explained to you in the PM the proper place for it to be submitted, and you've chosen to not do that

Why should i spend hours making something only to have it stuffed somewhere no one sees it? That's a waste of time. There it is Michael, I'm complaining again but I am answering your comment also. Even though I do not see my comment as a complaint being poured onto you. However since I'm that offensive to you Michael I will not bring issues like this to light again. Then maybe when no one else provides feedback either you can have a part of your site die off into no where and become literally useless lost in space like modifications/resources like mine have gone into.

Now, when or IF IPB decides to make my modification even Steven to compete with others then I will release it. That's not asking too much or being harsh. Then maybe I will release a classifieds, some unique blocks and another set-up program or 2 or 3.. Until you treat my work as an equal to others that offer the same thing, I do not want to put it out there. Just my personal preference because no one will find it where you want to stick it now where it will not be used/appreciated/competitive imo.

I do not ask for a link back, money, donations. nothing, not even a thank you. I have nothing at all to gain from this, but you do. Honestly. to me that's about as frustrating as creating the file and having it dumped into a area that is not even recognized.

Lessons like this is what sells product. When you can show what a product can do and how easily it can be done it's a winner imo. However, I'm not here to be a marketing consultant or salesman and have apparently overstepped my boundaries mentioning this. So I will leave it at that :)

Regards

Archived