No Pre-Installed Avatars?

IPB2050

So... did I just purchase a forum that doesn't allow you to set up some pre-installed avatars? I see this was an option in older versions of IPB but is it true that the option no longer exists? I don't care if they can't have an avatar link to some off-site picture. But I would like users to quickly be able to choose from a list of pre-installed avatars/photos to help make the forum look less bland.

This is a basic feature of almost all forum software.

Think of it this way.. it can take a long time for a lazy forum member to find/make an avatar for themselves. But if you have some pre-installed ones that they can choose from it takes no time for them and it really helps the look of the board - especially when the default avatar is a giant grey silhouette instead of nothing even.

Have forums not progressed some? Are you running a chat room, or an online community?

I think avatars are for children... users of gaming sites, MAYBE. The average community is built for adults though, and much like a social network, it is accessed by humans. Many of which are not afraid of showing their face when they post the thoughts that come to their mind.

I have no interest in any member who doesn't possess the most basic of online skills... uploading their own photo to a website..... ugghhh..lol

There is a topic already existing on this very situation here:

Also with response to what pictures people have as their avatars/photos I think it is their personal choice and pretty much anything should be ok as long as it isn't an offensive image. Many people value their anonymity, and as long as they aren't using it to be hateful or trolling then I don't see the problem with people valuing their privacy.

I think avatars are for children... users of gaming sites, MAYBE. The average community is built for adults though, and much like a social network, it is accessed by humans. Many of which are not afraid of showing their face when they post the thoughts that come to their mind.

Well thank god you're here to tell us all how forums should work in this world. Where would the internet be without your opinion on avatars. You should start a movement to show the world how stupid they are using avatars, oh enlightened one. We should not even give people the option to use an avatar.. it should be their Drivers License pic with full name, social, and address! This is doubly true for ugly people!

Have forums not progressed some? Are you running a chat room, or an online community?

I have no interest in any member who doesn't possess the most basic of online skills... uploading their own photo to a website..... ugghhh..lol

This is an opinion. I'm active in many boards about IT, political subjects, cars etc. There is one gaming forum. I would never ever show my face in the internet... never.

I've found that they did not usually tend to pick a default one, despite having more than the usual stock ones. I think its probably human laziness, if they do not want to look through a pre-installed set or two, they won't upload their own. Bit of a non-issue now though really.

Archived