Two features have to be brought back

broni

1. Talking to a wall?
I really need to see if I'm replying to someone who is online, or not.
Hovering over user name just to see what his/her status is....really annoying.
Surely there is a hook for it, which I installed on my board, but here it's not.
Why was it removed as a permanent feature is beyond me.

2. "Mark all as read" at the top of the board.
I made a simple edit on my board so it's there:

%7Boption%7D

I got so used to it, that I'm automatically looking for this button at IPS forum, but no...
Scroll all the way down, open drop-up menu....Eureka...it's there...
Grrrrr....

2. "Mark all as read" at the top of the board.

I made a simple edit on my board so it's there:

%7Boption%7D

I got so used to it, that I'm automatically looking for this button at IPS forum, but no...

Scroll all the way down, open drop-up menu....Eureka...it's there...

Grrrrr....

I'm happy that works for you, but having it that close to View New Content would not be very intuitive as the default placement. Near the Log Out button would work better, people could mark the board as read before they left for the day so they wouldn't have old threads they weren't interested in reading slapping them in the face when they returned.

BTW...while we all were with 3.1.4 did you see any single topic saying...

"Hey guys, get rid of that On/Offline button clutter..."

I didn't.

Why was it removed then?

It was moved, not removed. If you really want to know if someone's online, hover over their name.

1 was removed because whether the member is online or not doesn't affect your reply usually. If you want a live chat, use a shoutbox.

If that logic were true wouldn't they remove the online box?

674 users are online (in the past 30 minutes)

list of usernames

Just sayin'. They work in conjunction.

So, if you know a feature is missing that you want in a newer version simply don't upgrade... It's not a hard concept, software changes as it progresses just because someone doesn't agree with that said progression doesn't make it bad or needing to be regressed..

Simply re-skin it in, and be done with it

I don't work for IPS either. And you're beating a dead horse by opening this topic. The software isn't built based on your requirements, it is based on what they can do to please the most customers. If you don't like things, post in the tech support forums for suggestions on how to change them.

Just because you, or a couple people that agree with you, think these features just have to be brought back or else civilization will collapse, doesn't mean they will be brought back. Software evolves, accept that and move on.

Well I can't say I need no. 2 but no.1 wasn't something I think, needed removing. The argument that it "clutters" is nonsense. The same can be said for post count for example. Who needs to see that and why not put that in the member name hover card as well?

I am not saying it needs to come back as it's not something I need specifically but it was more useful in post view.

I don't think this is some "beating of a dead horse".
As I said, this is "Company feedback" forum.
What's the other way to inform them that we're missing some feature?

It was a similar story when 3.2.1 was in beta and somone had a very "bright" idea to remove pages number from "View new content" pages, so nobody had any idea, if one has to read 1 page, or 2o of them.
We demanded to get i back and it IS back.

Why did I bring it back?
Because I only upgraded to 3.2.1 couple of weeks ago, I've been using it for a while and I realized that I'm really missing those features.

Archived