Post Icons

Dmacleo

What Dave is saying is exactly one of the ideas behind post icons, to use them as tags.

Strange, I got the exact opposite from his post.

The video does show many post icons BUT you don't have to use that many at all, you don't have to use any: in fact, you can even have different sets of post icons for different categories, etc.

That sounds suspiciously like tags.

Searchable prefixes don't have to end in .png, .jpg, or .gif to accomplish the same effect.

A post icon could be used as a tag replacement: equally easy to search, but 100% easier to identify when a user has to go thru hundreds of posts before reading one. (in fact, one of the current mods fo ipb 2.32 does exactly that, it uses icons as tags).

You think reading thru post titles is easier? fine. I don't.

Anyway, it's not like if I invented these. Other forum software does use it and I actually loved how it was implemented on some forums and that's where I got the idea from when I first got the mod made.

Yeah, but twhen people visit a site they don't use the search option all the time, that'd be a pain, and that's one of the points of these post icons.
I don't know, I deal with ordinary forum users, and if the post icons can be used as tags as well, that's an added bonus.

Yeah, but twhen people visit a site they don't use the search option all the time, that'd be a pain, and that's one of the points of these post icons.

I don't know, I deal with ordinary forum users, and if the post icons can be used as tags as well, that's an added bonus.

Click a tag. It automatically uses the search option, there's no need to fill anything out. Perfect for newbies.

Those with an affection for search engines can pull up results with several like tags at once if they wish (ie, search for comput, get compute, computer, computing, computation, etc tags).

I agree with both of you, if that's possible.

Essentially, what I'm proposing is not to bring back post icons, but to use the existing tag system with only one minor change: that the admin have a setting (similar to emoticons, I suppose) where certain prefixed tags may be replaced by an image icon. This would not change any of the tag functionality at all, i.e. clicking the icon would take you to the tag search function.

Archived