The mod queue: Praise, and future improvements.

rgf100

First off, many thanks for setting up the mod queue in 3.2. It was one of my most-missed functions since changing forum software, and a major gripe from my mods. Credit is due for getting that in place. I'm sure everyone else who pre-moderates posts or topics agrees.

And of course, two suggestions. %7Boption%7D

1) There needs to be an alert in the header or something so you can see at a glance what kind of state the queue is in. I've hacked up a hook to do this on my site, I'm attaching an image so you can see the kind of thing I mean. Those buttons link to the relevant mod queue and use colour to indicate if there's anything to moderate, plus give you a count so you know what kind of workload you have.
2) The topic moderation queue needs to a) show us the content of the first post (or at least lets us pull it in as a topic preview) and b) allow ajax deletion or at least redirect back to the mod queue after deletion - not to the forum the topic was in. At the moment it's mod queue - click delete - confirm delete - WTF why am in a forum, I was in the mod queue. Oh, and let us delete more than one topic at once - often you've got a bunch of spam you can delete just based on the titles alone, you don't even need to open the topic.

The first I've already done - the second I'll see what I can do myself. But I'd love to see these as standard.

2) The topic moderation queue needs to a) show us the content of the first post (or at least lets us pull it in as a topic preview)

I'll see what I can do myself.

I have seen what I can do myself, and it is good:

Look & Feel > Your Skin > skin_modcp > modCPtopic
just after the foreach at the top add:

<php>

$postid = $data['topic_firstpost'];

$this->DB->build( array( 'select' => 'post', 'from' => 'posts', 'where' => "pid = '$postid'" ) );

$this->DB->execute();

$postcontent = $this->DB->fetch();

$postcontent    = IPSText::getTextClass('bbcode')->preDisplayParse( $postcontent['post'] );

</php>

Then just before <if test="isntLink:|:$data['state'] != 'link'"> add

{$postcontent}[/code]

If anyone can see improvements to that, great - I hack until it works, then stop. If anyone has ideas on a smoother topic delete process, I'd love to hear 'em.

• 9 months later...

Bump. The mod queue continues to improve, but I'd like to see some staff input on the above points - specifically mass moderation. If I've got 15 spam posts in the queue give me a 'delete all' option, or at least radio buttons I can select quickly, rather than waiting for 15 reloads. An option for flagging a member as a spammer to delete posts, rather than unapprove (why would I want to see them again) would be halfway there though.

I also still love my little hook to flag up content in the queue more prominently. You're already doing something similar for the report center, don't see why this couldn't be integrated. And we need the content of moderated topics to be visible in the queue so we're not opening up loads of browser windows.

Archived