3.2 "Start new topic" button removed from topic view

broni

Some of my members are complaining about it.
While you're in some topic there is no "Start new topic" button.
In order to start new topic the user has to go to forum view page.

What was the reasoning behind removing that button?

The reasoning behind removing it from topic view is that having multiple 'top level' actions makes it more difficult for new users and more likely to lead to mistakes. We felt it was important to have one key action only on the important pages, and in topic view, that's replying.

The reasoning behind removing it from topic view is that having multiple 'top level' actions makes it more difficult for new users and more likely to lead to mistakes. We felt it was important to have one key action only on the important pages, and in topic view, that's replying.

True. I seen so many times members posting new topics instead of replies

I have to agree with Adriano.

His hook, which brings the feature back 'Start New Topic' Button on Topic View brought:

• 105 downloads

since it was posted on Aug. 5th (2 weeks).

That's proof right there that many customers actually found the "Start New Topic" button in the "Topic View" very useful. I disagree about there being a "confusion" between the "Start New Topic" button and the "Reply" button. We're still using 3.1.4 and not once have we had any complaints from any of our members about being confused between those two buttons. I mean, come on now, we're not that stupid. lol

We're still using 3.1.4 and not once have we had any complaints from any of our members about being confused between those two buttons

Excellent point!

It reminds me little bit of Microsoft way of doing business.
With every new Windows version they always change something what was never bothering anyone, or even more, was actually nice and needed feature.

FWIW, usability issues like this don't prompt complaints because people don't realise it's confusing - it's subconscious. It's just about speeding up interaction with the board. If there's two big buttons, you have to pause and read them to work out which one to click. If there's one big button, you don't. It's a pretty standard aim of interface design to have one major action be prominent.

How about letting users to decide if it's confusing or not?

I don't want to sound rude, but it's always upsetting me, when other people try to tell me what's better for me.

Apparently many people are missing this feature and I still have to see one post saying it's confusing.

Apparently many people are missing this feature and I still have to see one post saying it's confusing.

As I explained, people won't tell you it's confusing, because it's not 'difficult', like a puzzle. It just takes a bit more brainpower to use, and that's rarely a good aim.

And with respect, 'let us decide' is a terrible approach - we'd be packed up to the hilt with poor practices and the reality is very few people would bother messing with them, and then forums all over the internet are more difficult to use than necessary. Our job is to build the best software we can - and that includes using the best practices we can wherever possible.

A better approach is make the base software as perfect as we can, and then if people like yourselves have a different opinion on what is best, have the option of using hooks to change it. That's better for everyone.

I can live without it and it's not a big deal but if we're talking about brainpower then things are no better because where the Post new topic button is, along side it is the "Mark this forum read" link. You have to pause and read which one you want to click on just you had to before when deciding to reply or post a new topic.

It was never an issue at my forums because I added a normal reply and fast reply button at the bottom of every post. I doubt many people used the top reply button.

3DKiwi

Personally I think the way it is now is better. It makes sense and you can add it in If you want.

Cleans up the interface, simplifies the process for new users.

There's alot of people around here who really don't like change..

I actually agree with Rikki on this one (Charles: *le gasp*). It just doesn't make sense to me to put the Start new topic button inside a thread since everything inside the thread should focus on the thread not the board the thread is in.

Why is there so much focus to make every feature convenient for "new users" and a total disregard for "older users' who have been faithfully around for years and know their way around a forum and are comfortable with what they have? If a "new user" was on a specific forum for a few hours, I'm pretty sure they would get used to all the buttons and will not get confused afterward. You're making it sound like it's rocket science to get used to having an extra button to read and click. We're not lab monkeys that have a difficult time knowing and understanding the difference between the "Start New Topic" button and the "Reply" button. Give us some credit here. I'm like Heyhoe, I can get used to it, but IMO it was a nice feature to have it where it was. It's just a pain to have to look for its hook and add it again. But what's the point discussing this issue. IPS will have the final say anyway.

• 2 months later...

Never underestimate how dumb some of your users can be.
Although I would have no problem having that button by default, I must side with ipb as I have discovered that there are really some dumb people out there. And I mean people who have jobs in top companies who mistake a mouse for a foot pedal thingy.

I have had some people screaming in emails that they could not rsvp using their display name when the login page clearly in big letters told them to use their email and the error message told them to use their email. Then countless examples of people who register but put the wrong email or a bogus email and them complain they never received an activation email or they receive one but tag it as spam themselves and trash it.

Never underestimate how much derp there is on the internets.

In that sense I must agree that having the New Topic button in the forum view. Dumb members clicking it to respond and instead creating a new thread...seen that before

Finally! I like the new way. It's a lot cleaner, and I never could understand why anyone would want to go from working within a topic to starting a new topic so much so that it would be necessary to have the link in every single topic. I think it's not even logical to work that way and probably conducive to bringing about more topics that should probably just be replies in the existing topic or in other existing topics. Redundancy can be a good thing in some instances (like when it comes to grounding a swimming pool and backing up computer data), but it can often be a bit silly, a bit much. Please ... nobody flame me. :cry:

Archived