We are closed Thursday 23rd November and Friday 24th November. Support is still available via your client center but response times may be delayed.
Invision Community
Craig687

Backing up site

I am trying to figure out how to backup my site in case of a crash so I don't loose any or all of my information (members, threads, posts, etc).

I am super new and not overly computer savvy with the whole lingo. If some one could just break it down "Barney Style" I would be ever so grateful.

Thank you in advance.

I am trying to figure out how to backup my site in case of a crash so I don't loose any or all of my information (members, threads, posts, etc).

I am super new and not overly computer savvy with the whole lingo. If some one could just break it down "Barney Style" I would be ever so grateful.

Thank you in advance.

You can make a backup of your database in several ways. Like one mentioned above, or you can do it through the phpmyadmin but that has a file size limit restriction. Another method would be to use a third party applicatiion like mysqldumper or sequelpro. Or through SSH/Telnet, if your hosting company offers such a thing that is.

But making a backup is often not enough. After you make a backup, you must also make sure that it is done properly and it is fully functional in case you would need it. You can do that by installing a test forum, using a separate database, and then import the backup from your live forum 's database to the test one. If your database is not big then you can use phpmyadmin for both operations. Or you can install mysql dumper at your server and use that which handels big databases very nicely. It can alo be used for backing up and restoration of the databases in just a few clicks.