Move Editor Auto Save function to client

KT Walrus

I'd like to see the Editor Auto Save function implemented in the browser and not involve the server at all (of course, detecting new replies would still involve a server hit).

HTML 5 browsers have databases that can be allocated to a domain's use. I'd like to see the Auto Save feature just save changes to the local database to be reloaded if into the editor when the editor loads (if the database text hadn't been submitted successfully - the server can clear the local database after the post has been successful by creating appropriate JS for the next page load).

I don't think Auto-Save is important enough to worry about users that have older browsers or who decline to allow access the local database. If anything, it could be an incentive for the user to upgrade to a newer browser. Also, if client side, all characters entered could be saved to the local database instead of auto saving periodically (which loses the last text typed in after the last save).

There are lots of opportunities to cache stuff on the client side (and not use cookies). It might be good to pick a feature like auto save and use it as a test feature to implementing a general client-side cacheing interface.

Archived