[HQ] Extra Forum Permissions

InvisionHQ

%7Boption%7D

File Name: [HQ] Extra Forum Permissions

File Submitter: InvisionHQ

File Submitted: 11 Aug 2011

File Category: Utilities

Supported Versions: IP.Board 3.4.x

This application will add 6 extra permissions for your members to enter forums. You can exlude groups
from each permission.

The permissions are added for each forum seperately and they are as follow:

1) Number of Posts
I know that this is already built in Ipb but that will hide the forum/s totally from view for those members whose post count is below the minimum set by the admin for a paricular forum/s. Whereas with this setting the forum will be shown to those users but they will get an error message when attemting to view it.

2) Number of Threads
You can set a minimum number of threads for users in order for them to enter a forum or forums.

3) Daily Posts
You can set a minimum of posts that your user can make on daily basis in order for them to enter a forum or forums.

4) Days Registered
You can allow access to a forum or certain forums only to members who have been registered for a certain period of time. This can come in handy to protect your forums from spammers for example.

5) Likes/Reputation Points
You can allow access to a forum or certain forums only to those members who have received a number of likes/reputation points, i.e. the popular members if you will.

6) Minimum Age
If you want to restrict access to a forum or forums to user under a certain age, then this is setting is for you. If an user did not add the birthday details in their profile, they will get an error message when they will try to access the age based forums.

Installation and Configuration:

To install this application, upload the admin folder inside the Upload folder to the root of your forum folder. Then go to your Admin Panel->Applications & Modules->Manage Applications & Modules and on the right side where it says: Applications Not Installed you will see a new application added called: Extra Forum Permissions. Click on the install button.

To configure it go to the Forums tab then from the drop down list choose Manage Forums. Then choose the forum and/or the forums where you want to apply the extra permissions, click the edit button and you will see an extra tab added there called: Extra Forum Permissions. Click it and set the values to your likings.

To exclude groups from the permissions restrictions, go to the Members tab then from the drop down list choose Member Groups->Manage Member Groups. Then choose the group and/or the groups that you want to exclude groups from the permissions restrictions. Click the edit button and you will see an extra tab added there called: Extra Forum Permissions. Click it and exclude that group from the permission/s restriction/s.

here to download this file

• 1 month later...

Nice concept, but I recommend adding at least the following features:

• Ability to show "Protected Forum" instead of the topic title on any forum that is off-limits to a user without the required status (as I mentioned to you via PM).
  • Customizable forum-specific error messages (because some forums might use the same restriction type but have different specific requirements, so it would be helpful, for example, to have one forum's error message be "You need at least 5 posts to enter this forum" and another's to be "You need at least 10 posts to enter this forum", etc.).
  • A fix for the following error: Currently, the post count requirement for a forum defined using this app is actually one more than the number specified in the "Number of Posts" field at Forums > Manage Forums > Edit Forum > Extra Forum Permissions (e.g. currently, if I want a forum's post count requirement to be 10, I need to input 9 in that field instead).

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

With this mod installed, the "Custom 'Permission Denied' Message" does not appear. I would like members to know what's needed to view the forum. Is there any way to enable this and still use the extension?

That is because the mod uses its own custom error messages depending on the restrictions set. They are all language strings so you can change the error message to whatever language/text that you would like.

It's not really a good solution to change the language when there's only 1 language setting for the entire mod. For some forums I would like to set different requirements (like some forums need x posts to view and so on), so having only 1 language setting would only confuse members. Is there a better solution to this? thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

can you test this against tapatalk and forum runner? both are free for board owner.

helping someone with those 2 apps and it looks like there may be permissions conflict issues.

I do not see how my mod could cause permissions conflict issues with tapatalk and forum runner? Can you please post the link to that forum?

I'm not the admin there, just helping out, so not sure I can.
what we are seeing is access is blocked to forums for everyone when guests are restricted, we are going to uninstall this mod to further test later (hopefully tonight) but its the only permissions type hook/mod there.
I hope to have more info later to rule this out but was hoping maybe you had a way to check the 2 items against a test board before we could.
so not positive this mod is the reason, just only permissions item installed right now.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I want to change next:

How many likes/reputation points an user must have received to enter this forum?

And instead that to use:

How many likes/reputation points an user must have received to post a reply (quick or full) in this forum?

What lines I should change?

I want members to see the topics, but not to reply if they don't have enough reputations.

I want to change next:

How many likes/reputation points an user must have received to enter this forum?

And instead that to use:

How many likes/reputation points an user must have received to post a reply (quick or full) in this forum?

What lines I should change?

I want members to see the topics, but not to reply if they don't have enough reputations.

All word/text change is done through the language phrases. In this case that would be the admin_extra_language_pack.xml file inside the /xml/ folder of the application.

All word/text change is done through the language phrases. In this case that would be the admin_extra_language_pack.xml file inside the /xml/ folder of the application.

You didn't get me at all. Why would I want to change the text??? I want to change the function (=code) of that so instead likes/reputation to enter forum I want to change into function to add new reply.

Members should enter the forum and see topics, but they can't reply---that's what I want.

Archived