Recent Posts (Sidebar Block)

HeadStand

something happened to the hook. it stopped showing last poster's image, nickname and time even if its set to do so in the hook settings.

'>

1. This hook does not have settings for the last poster's image. Are you sure you're looking at the right hook/settings?

2. Check your skin template. You can find it under Board Index -> recentPosts.

3. What is it showing instead?

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know what my settings are, thanks. ;)

1. "Last Post Info" does not include the member image. It's something many people have asked for but I have not included it, mainly because I can't figure out how to show the image if a person has both starter and last poster enabled. So no, it will not show the member image.

2. In your screenshot, you have "Last Post Info" set to "no". Try changing it to "Yes" and let me know if that works.

I know what my settings are, thanks. ;)

1. "Last Post Info" does not include the member image. It's something many people have asked for but I have not included it, mainly because I can't figure out how to show the image if a person has both starter and last poster enabled. So no, it will not show the member image.

2. In your screenshot, you have "Last Post Info" set to "no". Try changing it to "Yes" and let me know if that works.

When i set it to Yes, and i save it stays No.

A developer checked it for me and said that something is wrong with the hook itself.

When i set it to Yes, and i save it stays No.

A developer checked it for me and said that something is wrong with the hook itself.

I assure you, nothing is wrong with the hook itself. This hook has over 2500 downloads and you're the first to report this issue.

Can you please try reinstalling the hook?

Hi,

Thanks for a good looking hook. Does the hook work with IP.Board 3.4.6?

Yes.

How and where can I edit the "title" Latest Posts.

I want to change it to something different.

thank you

attachicon.gif2014-04-28_12-52-21.jpg

You can change this like you would any language string. In the ACP, go to Look & Feel - >Manage Languages and click the language. On the Forums tab, you should have a word pack called "public_boards". The string you are looking for is "recentposts_title".

• 3 weeks later...

I have version 3.3.4 and I found some time that closed topics are not displayed in the list of recent posts. It does not seem fair. Is there any way to be displayed and closed threads?

I've uploaded a new version to the Marketplace with a fix for this issue.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi @HeadStand, I can't find in this topic if someone had talk about duplicate post that shows in the hook.

So... an example.

Member 1 post a message in "X" post from "x" forum.

Then an admin/mod move this "topic" from "x" forum to "z" forum within the option moved from checked.

That's it.

The hook shows the two "recent posts", from "z" forum AND the "x" forum (moved).

How could we fix this? I need to show only one "recent post" (not recent post from moved forum).

I hope you could understand my situation.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @HeadStand, I can't find in this topic if someone had talk about duplicate post that shows in the hook.

So... an example.

Member 1 post a message in "X" post from "x" forum.

Then an admin/mod move this "topic" from "x" forum to "z" forum within the option moved from checked.

That's it.

The hook shows the two "recent posts", from "z" forum AND the "x" forum (moved).

How could we fix this? I need to show only one "recent post" (not recent post from moved forum).

I hope you could understand my situation.

Thanks

So basically what's happening is that a duplicate topic is being created in another forum. I'm afraid there isn't anything I can do about that - there's no way for me to know that this is in fact the same topic. I could compare the post content but that would slow down the mod tremendously, and i'm not about to compromise on performance. I would say that this issue is pretty rare and if your forum is active enough, the posts will roll off the list pretty quickly anyway.

• 3 weeks later...

I am running version 3.4.6 and in prepping for 4.0 I have upgrade the database coallation on my board, as well as amped up the php version. My board used to load very fast on the /forum page. Now, it is loading very slow (4-7 seconds). I disabled all of my hooks and its blazing again. I added them back one by one, and when I hit this hook it started creeping again. By me upgrading my board to the latest database coallation, and changing my php, did that somehow make this hook slow? have you heard of any of these types of issues with users prepping their boards for the 4.0 release? Please let me know. This is my favorite hook, and I can't disable it because it brings so much to my board.

http://mississippioutdoorforums.com

Thanks, KP

I am running version 3.4.6 and in prepping for 4.0 I have upgrade the database coallation on my board, as well as amped up the php version. My board used to load very fast on the /forum page. Now, it is loading very slow (4-7 seconds). I disabled all of my hooks and its blazing again. I added them back one by one, and when I hit this hook it started creeping again. By me upgrading my board to the latest database coallation, and changing my php, did that somehow make this hook slow? have you heard of any of these types of issues with users prepping their boards for the 4.0 release? Please let me know. This is my favorite hook, and I can't disable it because it brings so much to my board.

http://mississippioutdoorforums.com

Thanks, KP

I have not heard of any reports of this issue and I can't think of any reason why that would affect it.

What are you settings? Specifically, what "view" settings are enabled (e.g. last post, last poster, etc)?

I can essentially turn every setting to off or disabled inside the app, but if that hook itself is enabled, its slow. As soon as I turn the hook off, its blazing speed again. The only thing on my end that changed was the upgrade as mentioned above.

I don't want to ask the same question over and over so let me clarify, I understand this cant pull ouf of box the user image and actually I don't want that but "Somehow" when I installed this on IPBoard 3.1.4 the topics was pulling a small image to the left of the topics kind of like a new post button and now there is nothing to the left of the topic title.

Is there supposed to an arrow or some small icon next the the topic title? If not is there an easy way to add a static icon next to each topic title?

IF NOT, then

I actually I followed the code provided in a previous post and actually I like it:

http://community.invisionpower.com/topic/344183-recent-posts-sidebar-block/page-5#entry2253139

The only problem I see is the image doesn't indent the title to keep it on one line. The image breaks it up. Is there a code I could put in the have the topic title stay clean and maybe indented to keep it cleaner?

post-53825-0-44631000-1405461887.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Hello. There is an issue with the hook on longer posts. I had to modify the template to got to: getlastpost vs. getnewpost to have it go to the correct post in the thread.

For those reading this who want to change the link to the last post - which being that it's the "Latest Posts" would be the last post:

Go to Look / Feel > Manage Skin Sets and Templates > Your template > Board Index > recentPosts

In that template modify

<a href='{parse url="showtopic={$post['tid']}&amp;view=getnewpost" base="public" seotitle="{$post['title_seo']}" template="showtopicunread"}'><b>{$post['title']}</b></a>&nbsp;<a href='{parse url="showtopic={$post['tid']}&amp;view=getnewpost" base="public" template="showtopic" seotitle="{$post['title_seo']}"}' title='{$this->lang->words['view_last_post']}'>{parse replacement="f_lastpost"}</a>

to this

<a href='{parse url="showtopic={$post['tid']}&amp;view=getlastpost" base="public" seotitle="{$post['title_seo']}" template="showtopicunread"}'><b>{$post['title']}</b></a>&nbsp;<a href='{parse url="showtopic={$post['tid']}&amp;view=getlastpost" base="public" template="showtopic" seotitle="{$post['title_seo']}"}' title='{$this->lang->words['view_last_post']}'>{parse replacement="f_lastpost"}</a>

FYI - this is also the template where you can modify the look and fee of the sidebar for this hook.

I don't want to ask the same question over and over so let me clarify, I understand this cant pull ouf of box the user image and actually I don't want that but "Somehow" when I installed this on IPBoard 3.1.4 the topics was pulling a small image to the left of the topics kind of like a new post button and now there is nothing to the left of the topic title.

Is there supposed to an arrow or some small icon next the the topic title? If not is there an easy way to add a static icon next to each topic title?

IF NOT, then

I actually I followed the code provided in a previous post and actually I like it:
http://community.invisionpower.com/topic/344183-recent-posts-sidebar-block/page-5#entry2253139

The only problem I see is the image doesn't indent the title to keep it on one line. The image breaks it up. Is there a code I could put in the have the topic title stay clean and maybe indented to keep it cleaner?

attachicon.gifCapture.GIF

You can try changing this:

{IPSMember::buildProfilePhoto($post['last_poster_id'], 'mini')}
<a href='{parse url="showtopic={$post['tid']}&amp;view=getnewpost" base="public" seotitle="{$post['title_seo']}" template="showtopicunread"}'><b>{$post['title']}</b></a> <a href='{parse url="showtopic={$post['tid']}&amp;view=getlastpost" base="public" template="showtopic" seotitle="{$post['title_seo']}"}' title='{$this->lang->words['view_last_post']}'>{parse replacement="f_lastpost"}</a>
to this:

<div class='clearfix'>
<div class='ipsPad_half left'>{IPSMember::buildProfilePhoto($post['last_poster_id'], 'mini')}</div>
<div class='ipsPad_half left'><a href='{parse url="showtopic={$post['tid']}&amp;view=getnewpost" base="public" seotitle="{$post['title_seo']}" template="showtopicunread"}'><b>{$post['title']}</b></a> <a href='{parse url="showtopic={$post['tid']}&amp;view=getlastpost" base="public" template="showtopic" seotitle="{$post['title_seo']}"}' title='{$this->lang->words['view_last_post']}'>{parse replacement="f_lastpost"}</a></div>
</div>

Hello. There is an issue with the hook on longer posts. I had to modify the template to got to: getlastpost vs. getnewpost to have it go to the correct post in the thread.

For those reading this who want to change the link to the last post - which being that it's the "Latest Posts" would be the last post:

Go to Look / Feel > Manage Skin Sets and Templates > Your template > Board Index > recentPosts

In that template modify

<a href='{parse url="showtopic={$post['tid']}&amp;view=getnewpost" base="public" seotitle="{$post['title_seo']}" template="showtopicunread"}'><b>{$post['title']}</b></a>&nbsp;<a href='{parse url="showtopic={$post['tid']}&amp;view=getnewpost" base="public" template="showtopic" seotitle="{$post['title_seo']}"}' title='{$this->lang->words['view_last_post']}'>{parse replacement="f_lastpost"}</a>

to this

<a href='{parse url="showtopic={$post['tid']}&amp;view=getlastpost" base="public" seotitle="{$post['title_seo']}" template="showtopicunread"}'><b>{$post['title']}</b></a>&nbsp;<a href='{parse url="showtopic={$post['tid']}&amp;view=getlastpost" base="public" template="showtopic" seotitle="{$post['title_seo']}"}' title='{$this->lang->words['view_last_post']}'>{parse replacement="f_lastpost"}</a>

FYI - this is also the template where you can modify the look and fee of the sidebar for this hook.

I'm not sure what this has to do with the length of the post. Can you please elaborate?

getnewpost will take the user to wherever they left off in the thread. getlastpost always goes to the last post. I prefer to use getnewpost because I think it makes more sense to the user to continue the thread from where they last read, but if you prefer you can of course use getlastpost instead.

I'm not sure what this has to do with the length of the post. Can you please elaborate?

getnewpost will take the user to wherever they left off in the thread. getlastpost always goes to the last post. I prefer to use getnewpost because I think it makes more sense to the user to continue the thread from where they last read, but if you prefer you can of course use getlastpost instead.

I see what you mean, but when people are viewing "latest posts" sidebar block and they click on that link... they want to go to that post, not where they left off the last time they were reading the post. I got a ton of complaints on my forum about it not going to the "latest post". When a member clicks on a link in that sidebar block, they want to go to that post, not the last post they were reading. I have been flooded with PMs from people complaining about this.

Sorry about the longer post thing. Got a little mixed up with my posts, I'm working with a bunch of scripts, IP being one of them and I was typing several replies at once. I guess I should start proof reading these things. :smile:

I'm going to add an additional link to the block which will give the viewer the option of going to either that post or the latest post.

You can try changing this:

{IPSMember::buildProfilePhoto($post['last_poster_id'], 'mini')}
<a href='{parse url="showtopic={$post['tid']}&amp;view=getnewpost" base="public" seotitle="{$post['title_seo']}" template="showtopicunread"}'><b>{$post['title']}</b></a> <a href='{parse url="showtopic={$post['tid']}&amp;view=getlastpost" base="public" template="showtopic" seotitle="{$post['title_seo']}"}' title='{$this->lang->words['view_last_post']}'>{parse replacement="f_lastpost"}</a>
to this:

<div class='clearfix'>
<div class='ipsPad_half left'>{IPSMember::buildProfilePhoto($post['last_poster_id'], 'mini')}</div>
<div class='ipsPad_half left'><a href='{parse url="showtopic={$post['tid']}&amp;view=getnewpost" base="public" seotitle="{$post['title_seo']}" template="showtopicunread"}'><b>{$post['title']}</b></a> <a href='{parse url="showtopic={$post['tid']}&amp;view=getlastpost" base="public" template="showtopic" seotitle="{$post['title_seo']}"}' title='{$this->lang->words['view_last_post']}'>{parse replacement="f_lastpost"}</a></div>
</div>

Thank you for this and the support

I have one more question and my apologies if this has been asked. I would like to add a break between the topics. I want a little more space between each topic. Where could or should I add that to add some space between the topics?

Archived