Recent Posts (Sidebar Block)

HeadStand

A new version has been uploaded to the Marketplace. Changes include:

• Redesigned layout of sidebar block to be more consistent with other blocks
  • Quotes were not stripped in 3.4.x. Fixed.
  • Only the first paragraph was displayed in 3.4.x. Fixed.
  • YouTube links were not hidden in 3.4.x. Fixed.
  • Deleted posts were shown in the block. Fixed.

Suddenly this hook started giving errors in my 3.4.2 board:

I had to disable the hook until I find a fix.

Can someone please help me?

What went wrong? it was working fine until yesterday, and I changed nothing!

This should now be fixed as well.

I think I actually liked the old layout better. The new layout looks cluttered.

It also doesn't respect the formatting for groups in the new layout.

Do you care if I post the old template here with the updated date formatting for others that might want to use it?

• 3 weeks later...

Why doesn't it parse the post like in regular topic view? I mean no smiles, no line breaks, and links displays with just titles... doesn't understand BB codes (e.g. [ i ] [ / i ] )

IPB version - 3.3.3
Block version - 2.1

That's by design. If I parsed BBCode and HTML, you would end up with some pretty odd things in there - images, youtube videos, all kinds of line breaks.. it would look awful. Trust me. I think the very first version parsed it, and too many people complained.

This is supposed to be a "preview" for your users, it's not meant to show the full content.

HeadStand, thanks for your reply, now I've understood.

But, just proposal ;) Maybe the partial parsing is possible - only links, emoticons, <br>'s? Or, much better - to make it switchable via checkboxes in settings? :smile:

Anyway, thanks once more for consulting :smile:

Sorry, I don't think so. Line breaks and links for sure not, as there's no way for me to properly truncate the post content if I leave those in.

Edit: Same for emoticons. The code behind the emoticon is many many characters.... one emoticon could take up all the allowed post content and you'd end up with nothing in the post besides a smiley.

Sorry, I don't think so. Line breaks and links for sure not, as there's no way for me to properly truncate the post content if I leave those in.

Edit: Same for emoticons. The code behind the emoticon is many many characters.... one emoticon could take up all the allowed post content and you'd end up with nothing in the post besides a smiley.

Ok, it means that "allowed" length value counts code, not displayed symbols? When I have time I'll try to think how to fix it and if I find a way I'll share it with you. :)

Just one more thing: each next line concatenates with previous without even a space, e.g. post

happy birthday

to you

is shown as

happy birthdayto you

Is it possible to add at least one space?

Ok, it means that "allowed" length value counts code, not displayed symbols? When I have time I'll try to think how to fix it and if I find a way I'll share it with you. :smile:

Just one more thing: each next line concatenates with previous without even a space, e.g. post

happy birthday

to you

is shown as

happy birthdayto you

Is it possible to add at least one space?

The space I can fix.

As for the other part - basically, you hand PHP (or IPB, whatever) a string and they cut it according to the maximum number of characters you tell it. So if I say only allow 30 characters, then they count 30 characters. It can't tell what you want to count and what you can't. If you come up with a way, feel free to share, but there is no way that I know of to do this accurately.

Hmmm... It's definitely IPB, not PHP... The problem is to override native IPB display functionality - to catch the final HTML string and apply "allowed" value directly to it - counting emoticon or line break as one symbol, count link title only without url value, remove more than one <br>'s and so on... Just idea...

Hmmm... It's definitely IPB, not PHP... The problem is to override native IPB display functionality - to catch the final HTML string and apply "allowed" value directly to it - counting emoticon or line break as one symbol, count link title only without url value, remove more than one <br>'s and so on... Just idea...

No, it's PHP. IPB is not doing anything special here. The "final HTML string" you are referring to includes HTML markup. I understand the concept of what needs to be done, but again, there is no way that I know of to do this accurately. If you can come up with a code sample, by all means....

Hook does not work in 3.4.4.

Once installed, it immediately falls into the "disabled." Forcibly turn on him and that's what it shows:

1) shows the old messages
2) shows messages from all index, not only the settings of the selected

Plese, help!

I've never seen or heard of either of these issues. Can you please try completely uninstalling the hook and then reinstalling?

Dear HeadStand,

Many thanks for your job and help to all of us.

We've tried to install your hook to our IP.Board (3.4.4 : rasmir.com/FORUM) - it is installed successfully, but doesnt show anything! Appart of your hook, we have:

(SOS34) Recent Topics Sidebar Hook v1.2.0

(SD32) Reputation Reason v1.1

Russian translation of Status Online Hook by Michael McCune

[Recent Topics v1.0.0 by Invision Power] is disabled after instalation of (SOS34) above.

[(DP31) Reputation Time v1.0.0] is disabled

The SD32 ReputationReason used Sidebar. We tried to disable it, but your hook still was not working. We tried to disable it and even reinstall -all the same.

The SKIN is default. Thee forum works in UTF-8, uses the Russian translation.

Your help is much appreciated!

May you suggest, please, what's wrong?

kind regards,

Yevgen

Dear HeadStand,
Many thanks for your job and help to all of us.

We've tried to install your hook to our IP.Board (3.4.4 : rasmir.com/FORUM) - it is installed successfully, but doesnt show anything! Appart of your hook, we have:
(SOS34) Recent Topics Sidebar Hook v1.2.0
(SD32) Reputation Reason v1.1
Russian translation of Status Online Hook by Michael McCune
[Recent Topics v1.0.0 by Invision Power] is disabled after instalation of (SOS34) above.
[(DP31) Reputation Time v1.0.0] is disabled

The SD32 ReputationReason used Sidebar. We tried to disable it, but your hook still was not working. We tried to disable it and even reinstall -all the same.

The SKIN is default. Thee forum works in UTF-8, uses the Russian translation.

Your help is much appreciated!
May you suggest, please, what's wrong?

kind regards,

Yevgen

Sounds a little strange... can you take a screenshot of your configuration settings for this hook? You can find them by logging in to the ACP and going to System -> Applications & Modules -> Manage Hooks. Find this hook and from its dropdown menu, select "Edit Settings: [HSC] Recent Posts (sidebar block)"

Thanks.

Sounds a little strange... can you take a screenshot of your configuration settings for this hook? You can find them by logging in to the ACP and going to System -> Applications & Modules -> Manage Hooks. Find this hook and from its dropdown menu, select "Edit Settings: [HSC] Recent Posts (sidebar block)"

Thanks.

Many thanks for your reply!

Here it is:

post-308625-0-74627300-1367912886_thumb.

Many thanks for your reply!
Here it is:

Thanks.

1. I can't see what you've got in the second setting ("Forums"), but in this screenshot only one forum is selected. Just to confirm - are there other forums selected in that list?

2. I know you're using the default skin, but let's double-check that the skin template was imported correctly. Login to your ACP, go to Look & Feel. Select your skin, then go to Board Index -> recentPosts. Does that template have any content or is it empty?

Thanks.

1. I can't see what you've got in the second setting ("Forums"), but in this screenshot only one forum is selected. Just to confirm - are there other forums selected in that list?

Thank you a lot!

Actually your reply just gave me a thought: Our Forum has a number of sub-forums, where actual posting happens. I was selecting the sub-forum heading, implying it means also the sub-forums in the category.

After your reply I selected every sub-forum and, yes, the hook started to work!

Sorry for the stupid questions!

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, thanks! What would I add to the new version, to allow the group color to be parsed? That's really my biggest buff with the new version.

I just uploaded a new version of the hook. It has a new setting to "Format Member Names" - when enabled, it will use the group colors.

• 1 month later...

Hello!

Thank you very much for this hook, it's very useful!

I have one question - I need to divide recent posts of my board from three different forum categories to different sidebar blocks. Is it possible to install somehow three instances of this hook and configure them separately by setting the forum exclusion option?

Regards!

Hello!

Thank you very much for this hook, it's very useful!

I have one question - I need to divide recent posts of my board from three different forum categories to different sidebar blocks. Is it possible to install somehow three instances of this hook and configure them separately by setting the forum exclusion option?

Regards!

That's not possible, sorry. If you have IP.Content, you'd be better off setting up 3 separate feed blocks to do that.