Patch Archives Would Be Nice, and Cost-Effective Too!

• Jay •

I ran a comparison between 3.2.0 and 3.2.1 and discovered that only 866 of the 3028 files actually needed to be uploaded to my board.

I think it would save IPS a considerable amount of bandwidth and time if a patch file was made available for these minor version upgrades. The archived patch file I made was half the file size, and it will easily take less than half the time to upload on my server.

While that may or may not affect hosted communities, it would certainly cut costs when it comes to those of us grabbing our files from the download center.

Also, I created the patch file in about 5 minutes with WinMerge. :)

I wish they'd just given us the changed files as well.

However, you have to remember that most of the customers would probably mess something up.

What kind of logic is that? :huh:

If they'd mess up changed files, they'd mess up the entire download, it would just take longer to finish uploading files.

How did you get it to avoid the version number in the file headers?

In WinMerge, go to Edit -> Filters -> Line Filters tab. I have mine set up like this:

post-44642-0-22430300-1312987990_thumb.p

I never understand this topic, though, it takes all of 10 minutes for me to upload all of the files for a new IP.Board version. Is that unreasonable?

What kind of logic is that? [img]

[/img]

If they'd mess up changed files, they'd mess up the entire download, it would just take longer to finish uploading files.

It's, "I'm dealing with idiots" logic.

I never understand this topic, though, it takes all of 10 minutes for me to upload all of the files for a new IP.Board version. Is that unreasonable?

It pleases us. It's a mental thing. We're all mental.

Charles just answered this same question in another topic earlier.

We have many customers who might be running 3.1.4, or 2.3.6, or similar and say "oh, here's the upgrade pack - since I'm upgrading, I'll use that" despite the 10,000 warnings stating to only use it for 3.2.0 to 3.2.1. We've tried changed files only packages in the past, and it creates a lot of problems on the whole.

Not everybody has decent upload speeds. Althought I can download at 10 Mbps, my .50 Mbps cap takes me forever to upgrade with the full package. %7Boption%7D

Charles just answered this same question in another topic earlier.

We have many customers who might be running 3.1.4, or 2.3.6, or similar and say "oh, here's the upgrade pack - since I'm upgrading, I'll use that" despite the 10,000 warnings stating to only use it for 3.2.0 to 3.2.1. We've tried changed files only packages in the past, and it creates a lot of problems on the whole.

C'est la vie. I remember making the upgrade packages for a while. A pity they can't be provided as an option for customers in the Marketplace.

Thanks, Brandon!

Archived