(LAV) Dashboard update notifications

Lavo

%7Boption%7D

File Name: (LAV) Dashboard update notifications

File Submitter: Lavo

File Submitted: 06 Aug 2011

File Category: Maintenance

Supported Versions: IP.Board 3.2.x

When entering the ACP, this hook will place information on the dashboard to see if any enabled applications or hooks, that have specified a update url, for any updates.

If it detects an update it will notify you that there is one available and direct you to the page application manager/hooks page with the check for updates already enabled to list what needs updating.

NOTE: If you are running 3.2.0 use 1.1.0 only.

If you are running 3.2.1 or above use 1.1.1 only

here to download this file

Hook works fine.

When you click on dashboard, it looks for updates of hooks, I would presume this is why it hangs for a bit.

EDIT: Looked at resources used after clicking on dashboard = 26% so not a great deal, the forum does seem to "lag" when this happens (so NOT ideal).

It says there is an update, but there is not............

Notice it says "There is 0 hook update available".

Clicked "here" to see what updates there are, nothing.

Checked hooks for updates manually, none available.

Any fix for this?

If the "lag" can't be fixed, I will remove this hook.

It works fine on my installation and a friends. How many applications/hooks do you have enabled and if possible if anyof them have update urls?

P.S Stupid question are you using 3.2.0?

Yes, I'm on 3.2.
If you mean the link into the hook setup (the part that I never check)...I don't know. Maybe, as stated by Extreame™, it's the problem that it was loading the all sets. I already have a billion of hooks installed, so, if is it possible to set a cron in order to allow the script runs at an hour good for the load time....
Like above, I also noticed: "There are 0 hooks that need your attention"... or similar.
It should be a very nice and useful hook, BTW. I don't have always the time to check the updates.

Hook works fine.

When you click on dashboard, it looks for updates of hooks, I would presume this is why it hangs for a bit.

EDIT: Looked at resources used after clicking on dashboard = 26% so not a great deal, the forum does seem to "lag" when this happens (so NOT ideal).

It says there is an update, but there is not............

Notice it says "There is 0 hook update available".

Clicked "here" to see what updates there are, nothing.

Checked hooks for updates manually, none available.

Any fix for this?

If the "lag" can't be fixed, I will remove this hook.

As for your image, yes, yes it is trying to drive you mad.

I thought i quashed the bug of it showing updates available for no apps. I shall try fix that in the next version

As for performance issues, i am going to add settings where you should be able to choose how often(or rather time passed) when an admin logs in it will check for updates. I will also see about storing the recieved data of updates available in a cache and clear it when it detects the application/hook has been upgraded(WIll add a ignore updates area in a later version)

Yes, I'm on 3.2.

If you mean the link into the hook setup (the part that I never check)...I don't know. Maybe, as stated by Extreame™, it's the problem that it was loading the all sets. I already have a billion of hooks installed, so, if is it possible to set a cron in order to allow the script runs at an hour good for the load time....

Like above, I also noticed: "There are 0 hooks that need your attention"... or similar.

It should be a very nice and useful hook, BTW. I don't have always the time to check the updates.

I'm not going to really add a cron right now as i dont know how to approach it, however if another developer feels like helping on this i could.

But as i said above i'm going to seperate it so it doesn't load everything on load of the dashboard

And yeah, that was the whole idea behind it. I didn't like having to manually check for updates so i coded this.

(P.S Dev's I also have a application that will help with flagging an application as an update available and not flagging it if the current version uses a higher board than the user has, i'm working on the admin cp interface(Also a seperate script that does not have to be installed on a IP.Board)

As for your image, yes, yes it is trying to drive you mad.

I thought i quashed the bug of it showing updates available for no apps. I shall try fix that in the next version

As for performance issues, i am going to add settings where you should be able to choose how often(or rather time passed) when an admin logs in it will check for updates. I will also see about storing the recieved data of updates available in a cache and clear it when it detects the application/hook has been upgraded(WIll add a ignore updates area in a later version)

LOL, yeah I thought I was losing it there for a while, but then realized that it may have been a bug.

I will be interested to try this out when the next version comes out, I think the idea to be able to choose how often the check is done will be a fantastic addition to this hook.

I like your work, keep it up %7Boption%7D

I agree with the slowdown of the admin after installation. I think one check a day for updates would be sufficient for me (cronjob?). Have disabled it for now, but will enable it as soon it stops checking for updates each time I visit the acp.

Thanks for the hook anyway (y)

Updated hook:

V 1.1.0
Added:
Ability to set how much time has passed before checking for updates

Bugs Fixed:
Peformance issues by not loading updates on every log in on default.
Language related bug not properly changing to correct grammar for more than 1 app
When reporting hooks updates available it showed app updates available instead of hooks

• 4 months later...

Archived