Conspiracy or future?

Anonymous V

Hello ladies and gentlemen,

as we all know: "Greed is good!", it's the base of capitalism, the right of freedom... wait, what?!

Now back to the real topic: With IP.Calendar being separated from IPB two questions arise.

1) Is it really just for development-reasons and that people who don't need it are not wasting webspace?
2) Are there any plans to sell IP.Calendar or other "basic" features of IP.Board and Applications in the future?

I don't know how familiar you are with "DLCs" (Downloadable Contents) for games, but currently they boom. A few years back you paid 50$ and got a polished game, nowadays you pay 60$+ get a huge load of bugs and only half of the content. The rest is shipped with DLCs you have to pay seperately.

Now, what would you do if this happened to IPS? Suddenly they go crazy and sell basic features like the IM-feature, or the Calendar or even other stuff seperately?
Would you just moan and cry or would you really say "Stop! No more hard-earned money from me!"?

Many people would do the first. Playing the bad guy and refusing to buy or pay for anything while in reality paying due to laziness.

With this thread I would like to get an answer from IPS about future plans like this. Is there anything like this planned or is there just a small idea about this? I do need to know for future decisions and although I don't expect an answer, maybe I will.

Sincerely yours,
Anonymous V

• Management

Here is the official IPS answer:

The Calendar was separated from the IP.Board download for two reasons:
1) To remove the code for the many communities that have no need for a calendar. Saves download time, saves upload time, saves shutting it off.
2) To allow it to be maintained on its own release schedule. This means we can deliver updates without waiting for an IP.Board release.

It really is as simple as that.

I seen a post over at skinbox today (must be deleted) saying that IPB are gonna charge us for personal messages. Everyone run!!!

Now, this IS true.

(No. Not really.)

Here is the official IPS answer:

The Calendar was separated from the IP.Board download for two reasons:

1) To remove the code for the many communities that have no need for a calendar. Saves download time, saves upload time, saves shutting it off.

2) To allow it to be maintained on its own release schedule. This means we can deliver updates without waiting for an IP.Board release.

It really is as simple as that.

Thank you very much! Although plans may change I appreciate your words.

Even if IPS would sell stock functionality separately (which they dont) then that would mean that those functions would be expanded enough to become attractive addons. So everybody wins anyhow.

That surely depends on personal taste and what it's worth for the individual.

I know the DLC-thingy with the games and that's one of the reasons I literally don't touch any new released games until they are really cheap like 5€, given that they interest me at all.

For me this would mean that I would not use IPS anymore, or not upgrade and at some further point leave them behind completely.
For example, if the calendar would be sold for, let's say $10 and $5 for upgrades I wouldn't use it anymore. Not worth the hard earned money (to me), although I love it as it's part of the package now.

I am sure that if it were to be sold, then it would be priced similar to other offerings and offer many features as of yet unannounced.

But they have not said it will be sold, so it all just speculation (mind you they have not denied it either ;) )

Even if IPS would sell stock functionality separately (which they dont) then that would mean that those functions would be expanded enough to become attractive addons. So everybody wins anyhow.

Yep.

The good part is being able to add plugins.

Hopefully nobody won't remove that "feature".

%7Boption%7D

[img]

[/img]

We aren't evil. As Matt said - there are no plans to sell IP.Calender.

Didn't know that IPS had gone into producing a device for smoothing out paper :D

But what about IP. Calendar though :P ;)

Archived