BBCode buttons for non-RTE

MageUK

As per this issue:
http://community.invisionpower.com/tracker/issue-32047-post-box-post-editor-editing-mode-disables-formatting-features/

And my issue (should have searched Tracker first, my bad):
http://community.invisionpower.com/tracker/issue-32080-bbcode-buttons-disabled-when-rte-off/

Why should these buttons be disabled when the RTE is turned off? All turning RTE off should do is show you the raw formatting of the post, not make it so you have to manually type every BBCode. Needs to be changed in my opinion and it seems posting in the Feedback forum and getting a few agreements is the only way to do it.

All turning RTE off should do is show you the raw formatting of the post, not make it so you have to manually type every BBCode.

I agree. Personally, I find the current design annoying. I would like to have a choice which mode of editor to use. BBCode mode with all buttons disabled is hardly usable. Every tag must be manually typed....

I agree. Personally, I find the current design annoying. I would like to have a choice which mode of editor to use. BBCode mode with all buttons disabled is hardly usable. Every tag must be manually typed....

i totally agree hate this new forced rte and no bbcode buttons wtf :( seriously all my members hate it mods etc

at least if u going to keep rte give me my old mode back with buttons in raw mode

Thing is, even if you use the RTE and NEVER use raw mode, there's no reason not to agree with this change as it doesn't affect you at all. It just seems silly that what was a large convenience for non-RTE users has been removed.

RTE is fantastic for making quick, short posts that require little to no formatting. I also know lots of people love using it and I'm glad that it makes things more convenient for them. I'm all for having the option for people to use it if they want to. It should not be forced on all users, however. The alternative provided in past versions of IPB was great - having the BBCode buttons was great and convenient for formatting posts where complex formatting is required.

In my application of the board we post lots of procedure guides for our staff that have tons of pictures, links and text formatting in them. I find with the RTE I can never get the formatting exactly the way I want it unless I do the BBCode by hand. Sometimes no RTE is able to generate BBCode the way I want it or it adds in superfluous tags that are a mess for people not on the RTE.

The BBCode buttons need to be restored when you are not using the RTE. I am very happy there is an option to not use the RTE, but the alternative should not be a bare-bones textbox with none of the functionality the previous versions' plain text editor had. I do not understand why this functionality was discontinued. In theory, it may seem great to automate everything but in practice that is not always viable and many users and staff alike on my board will not be pleased with this version for this exact reason. Please restore the profile option to disable the RTE entirely and give us back BBCode buttons. It is indeed a fancy editor, but not practical for every application.

I don't usually have much to say about board updates, but this time is different. This update is the only reason why I have created an account as I feel it is important you are not oblivious to the fact that many people are not happy having the RTE forced on them so much and the raw mode limited to such bare-bone features.

Thing is, even if you use the RTE and NEVER use raw mode, there's no reason not to agree with this change as it doesn't affect you at all. It just seems silly that what was a large convenience for non-RTE users has been removed.

This is a very good point as well.

• 2 weeks later...

wow, i just posted a thread and it was like Woaah, every sentences was so much away from each other (spacing), i had to edit like 3-4 times to make it a resonable topic.

Wonder what happens to the people who has forum and post alot, will wait until 3.2.1 comes out before i buy :(

• 10 months later...

Archived