CKE Editor and why?

Rhett

looking at all the bugs in CKE in the 3.2 version of IP Board I have asked myself this question many times... so I will ask IPS now.....

What was wrong with the old editor?

Why the change to something with so many quirks and bugs?

I know this was tested over and over, but it's not just IPS that is having issues with this editor, go check their dev site and you will see hundreds of bugs and issues with it.

Looking for an honest answer as I saw nothing wrong with the old editor personally, but maybe I'm missing something here?

The editor is so critical in using a forum, and needs to be flawless in my opinion in order to keep members active and posting.

The editor is so critical in using a forum, and needs to be flawless in my opinion in order to keep members active and posting.

Well.. Is it?
I think most boards and most users are in 90% of the time (percent not accurate at all), only need the basic functions in any editor.
That is, of course, not an excuse to use an editor full of bugs, but I would not place the full-editor in a real critical box.

The main reason, i think, for IPS to change the editor, is a reasonable choice - what is the point of reinventing the wheel? Why continue to use a lot of time and resources on developing their own editor, when there already is editors available to integrate?

In my opinion, the editor is much better integrated now then it previously was.

The editor is a sufficiently broad project to be a package in its own right [and often is: see F/CKE, TinyMCE, ...]. I don't know about your site, but the rich-text editor has never worked very well for us in the first place. Whenever a person posts with some problem about posts turning to HTML, or things not showing up right, or I can't remember what other issues, our response is invariably "disable RTE", and invariably that solves the problem. Is this somehow unique to us?

I'm not sure what "all the bugs" with the editor are in 3.2--I see at most 9 of limited scope in the tracker and I've never run into one myself--but it's certainly an improvement from all the quirks the old one had, and it means IPS doesn't need to spend unnecessary resources trying to iron out those issues themselves.

looking at all the bugs in CKE in the 3.2 version of IP Board I have asked myself this question many times... so I will ask IPS now.....

Why the change to something with so many quirks and bugs?

I know this was tested over and over, but it's not just IPS that is having issues with this editor, go check their dev site and you will see hundreds of bugs and issues with it.

Looking for an honest answer as I saw nothing wrong with the old editor personally, but maybe I'm missing something here?

I agree that the CKE editor is not a very good editor, I saw nothing wrong with the old editor and liked the way you could keep the emoticons displayed in the side bar and the way the editor functioned as a whole and was easy for me to modify which buttons I wanted and did not want. My 9000+ members have never complained about the 3.1.4 editor (or earlier versions). I am sticking with 3.1.4 as there are way too many things I don't care for in 3.2, but to each his own.

I am sticking with 3.1.4 as there are way too many things I don't care for in 3.2, but to each his own.

I agree with you on this, but eventually support for 3.1.4 will end at some time and we will (unfortunately) be forced to upgrade to 3.2. Sadly all good things must come to an end in the name of technology.

Yes, you're missing the fact that the old editor had no features and looked horrible. A lot of sites use CKEeditor and I hope they have enough sense not to remove it due to a few whiney users.

The most likely reason they chose a third party editor is because CKE Editor is an excellent editor and they didn't feel they needed to devote their time to maintaining their own separate editor.

Yes, you're missing the fact that the old editor had no features and looked horrible. A lot of sites use CKEeditor and I hope they have enough sense not to remove it due to a few whiney users.

The most likely reason they chose a third party editor is because CKE Editor is an excellent editor and they didn't feel they needed to devote their time to maintaining their own separate editor.

If you cant answer the question, than you shouldn't try too.

Im not crying, just asking a question..... The old editor did anything i needed, what was it missing?

Just curious what bugs are in the CKEditor?

There are a bunch actually.. but the ones that effect my customers are

1. parsing of links automatically when pasting
2. adding extra spaces between lines
3. alt+s for submitting a post is not working.

None of these existed before and are issues now.

I'm not hating the new editor, I think it's great other than the bugs, my question to ips was why did they feel the need to fix what wasn't broken?

To the one that said the old editor was missing features? Please tell me what it was missing?

I love the new editor other than all the bugs it has at the minute. I think it's an improvement over the last one. No more highlighting text to bold it, re-size it and add a new font to it etc. I still don't like the pop-up boxes and the fact you can't drag them like you can on the demo (I reported it, apparently not a bug).

I am just gonna wait it out and see what IPS do, as I think there is room for improvement yet (such as adding text to a link in the pop-up, the spacing issues etc) with the editor.

They aren't using the old editor anymore as it was a custom editor built by IPS which meant they had to deal with it when browsers updated and that wasted a lot of their time. Also alt + s works fine here, in chrome it doesn't but that's chromes fault.

• Management

It is just unfeasible to maintain our own editor. The speed at which new browser versions are released coupled with a growing mobile device market makes it a constantly moving target.

Our old editor worked OK for manual BBCode mode but was very poor in RTE mode. I never used RTE mode because it was too unstable and most other people shared this view.

Most of the bugs you've seen a trivial and are mostly caused by the PHP that parses the text. In an ideal world, we'd just clean the HTML and store it but as we're still stuck with BBCode we have to convert it to BBCode first then store it. This is where odd line issues creep in.

As they are reported, they are getting fixed. It's not indicative of a poor choice or an overly buggy part of the software.

Just to chime in, one of the reasons I plan on upgrading my board is because the old RTE editor had so many bugs. My board is very emoticon and BBCode intensive, and I like to type announcements and things in a program like TextEdit before I actually put it on the board. The old editor would completely mess with the formatting of anything I copied over from TextEdit (even when I had it in Plain Text mode), and would randomly fill in posts with HTML when they were edited. It's just a pain for us to work with, and I look forward to using CKE Editor because of that.

It is just unfeasible to maintain our own editor. The speed at which new browser versions are released coupled with a growing mobile device market makes it a constantly moving target.

Our old editor worked OK for manual BBCode mode but was very poor in RTE mode. I never used RTE mode because it was too unstable and most other people shared this view.

Most of the bugs you've seen a trivial and are mostly caused by the PHP that parses the text. In an ideal world, we'd just clean the HTML and store it but as we're still stuck with BBCode we have to convert it to BBCode first then store it. This is where odd line issues creep in.

As they are reported, they are getting fixed. It's not indicative of a poor choice or an overly buggy part of the software.

Thank you for the information, this is what i was after, and it makes sense as well. Im sure in time the bugs will be corrected, and now i have something to pass along when the question is brought up.

Thx

What really turns me off from this thingie is that second I turn richtext off, BBCode buttons stop working. Why? Why I cannot write posts 'ol way? Whats so hard in implementing this that made CKE guys go with "oh, ol' way of writing must go away"? Now I have to make a choice: I use buttons, but way editor text-area works makes browser tricks for text-areas inaccessible anymore (making writing frustrating), or I turn all this mess off and write bbcodes manually because I cant use buttons anymore.

What really turns me off from this thingie is that second I turn richtext off, BBCode buttons stop working. Why? Why I cannot write posts 'ol way? Whats so hard in implementing this that made CKE guys go with "oh, ol' way of writing must go away"? Now I have to make a choice: I use buttons, but way editor text-area works makes browser tricks for text-areas inaccessible anymore (making writing frustrating), or I turn all this mess off and write bbcodes manually because I cant use buttons anymore.

I hate this too. I usually keep rich text turned off, because it almost always look like crap when I paste something into it, but doing so means I have to manually add in all bbcode tags or emoticons.

I hate this too. I usually keep rich text turned off, because it almost always look like crap when I paste something into it, but doing so means I have to manually add in all bbcode tags or emoticons.

I just been pointed out by one of my users that switching richtext on/off when you have any bbcodes in editor is fantastic way to mess your post. I already reported that on tracker.

Hmmm try this:

When replying with Alt+S be sure to hit the preview post button or click out of the text area. It doesn't work for me when the insertion point is still flashing in the text area. Both fast reply and the full editor work with Alt+S this way for me in Chrome.

This could be the issue instead.

Archived