[Suggestion] Make it easy to use datastore caching

nrep

I've got Wincache installed on my server, but I only found out it was possible to use this fully with IPB when I did some digging (link).

Why not make an admin panel setting which lists the available caching systems and lets you choose? Most people have some form of accelerator/cache plugin now. I'm sure more people would use it if they knew it existed, which would speed up their forums.

• Management

It's one of those top level things we prefer to keep out of the ACP.

There are many reasons for this, two major ones are:

1) Idle clicking "Ooh, what does this do?" will terminally kill your board, which leads me onto
2) If the caching engine doesn't work, you won't be able to load the ACP to change it.

Can the datastore cache not be disabled in just the ACP? If not, I can see the reason. Although it may be worth mentioning the datastore caching steps somewhere, perhaps at the end of an upgrade/install as optional steps?

It also goes beyond what Matt just said. Everything in our cache_store table is put into the datastore....including settings. Thus, we need your datastore settings before we can load up the settings configured from the ACP...

In other words, we can't allow you to edit those settings in the ACP, because they'd then be stored in the cache_store, and we wouldn't have a way to get your cache_store settings...reciprocal problem here.

Archived