Why is visual editor disabled for perpetual license holders?

ihiustler

As the title says, why is the visual skin editor disabled for perpetual license holders? Is this a way to force us to buy a new license even though we were promises lifetime upgrades? It was never mentioned that some forum functions would be disableI am really liking the direction that 3.2 has taken but this is unacceptable.

• Management

If you click your Perpetual license in the client area it does indeed explain the difference. Perpetual license holders were promised, and are receiving, lifetime upgrades. The visual skin editor is a service not included.

• Management

How were you misled? Did you read the announcement in the client area that's been there for several years?

The visual skin editor is a service (in that we provide backend support on our servers) and is therefore not covered under a Perpetual license. Perpetual licenses receive access to software upgrades but not extra services.

I noticed that the calendar is also now separated.

IPS should also disable keyboard support while writing posts
it should come as a service

or password recovery when some user forgets the password
it should also be a service not covered under a Perpetual license.

How were you misled?

How weren't we? When the purchase was made you said that we would be both licensed to use the software and receive updates for the life of the product. With how you have everything worded now you make it seem as if we are not under a current license (you throw around stuff like not being an "active customer" and "active license holder" and there is even an exclamation point in my Admin CP like there is something wrong with my license) despite the fact that we paid for the board just like everyone else did and have what I would feel is an "active license” (I would say that the opposite of active is inactive which would imply it is no longer valid).

I can't speak for anyone else but I honestly can say that I feel betrayed. I'm not trying to rip you off (see below). I just want to be treated like every other one of your "active customers" who all support and like your product and have the same opportunities that they do without giving up my current license.

The visual skin editor is a service (in that we provide backend support on our servers) and is therefore not covered under a Perpetual license. Perpetual licenses receive access to software upgrades but not extra services.

This is reasonable and they shouldn't be included as part of the license as a free upgrade. These services are done on your servers which cost you money to maintain. However, why doesn't an active perpetual license holder like myself have the option to pay for those services like a new customer? I paid >$149.99 and am willing to pay $25 every six months, so it's not like you have the excuse of losing money on the deal. If we stop paying, the additional services should stop just like for everyone else.

You'll have to chuck away your perpetual licence and revert to a regular licence as I had to do to get the extras like spam monitoring service, IP SEO etc updated. I was paying a fee for these but it got messy and difficult to upgrade. In fact I don't think I was able to upgrade these extras without reverting to a regular licence.

3DKiwi

You'll have to chuck away your perpetual licence and revert to a regular licence as I had to do to get the extras like spam monitoring service, IP SEO etc updated. I was paying a fee for these but it got messy and difficult to upgrade.

I mean no disrespect towards you, but this just seems unacceptable to me. I fail to see how this makes the system any more or less messy because we're already seperated out for support.

I'm a lifetime license holder. I really don't see the issue to be honest. When we bought the license there was nothing that accessed their servers. IE spam monitoring, visual editor, etc... While it would certainly be nice to have these features, there's really no way we could expect them to offer us services that require their servers.

So far we haven't been blocked from or asked to pay for anything that is necessary to run the latest software. Just MO.

When we bought the license there was nothing that accessed their servers. IE spam monitoring, visual editor, etc... While it would certainly be nice to have these features, there's really no way we could expect them to offer us services that require their servers.

I'm not asking them to just give them to me. I just don't want to forfeit my current license to be able to pay for them.

I'm with you guys, Perpetual and Lifetime license holders shouldn't seem as though their licenses are second class, i know IPS wants everyone to pay $25 twice a year as opposed to the $30 a year perpetual license holders pay, and wants Lifetime license holders to pay too since theirs are paid for already, for life. IPS doesn't get as much money from those customers as they do their new customers, so they want to give reasons to try and convince its longtime customers to convert their "legacy licenses" to their new more expensive ones. I understand that aspect of it, but to me it really seems a bit of a underhanded way to treat your longtime customers, i know, i know, those services were around during the days those licenses were sold, and they do cost extra for IPS, since they are hosted by IPS.

However, they are implied when the words "active customers" are used, and yes i seen the message in the client area that explains it, but honestly why can't they just announce an IPB extra's pack with the spam monitoring, chat, visual editor and any other extras for a reasonable yearly price and treat all licenses the same, instead of forcing people to change licenses in order to get the extras. Oh wait, then the new customers would be upset because they pay more than the longtime customers for the the same products, maybe longtime customers should be rewarded for being longtime customers, instead of being "punished" by being told they can't get the full package because their license old, when money was paid for it, and still paid yearly by perpetual license holders.

Well, its like a membership. Your paying for the forum, and also what ever comes with that package. However they allow you to do more with a bigger package. Almost every company does this. If your very aggravated about it you need to keep in mind that you did agree to pay for that package. Another thing is that you also need to read things before buying them. Many people are scammed this way and that's why. However, InvisionPower does state the things it comes with. Another advantage that IP is giving you, is the Forums. They are allowing you support and many more downloads for add-ons such as Hooks, Modules, App's, and Modifications. I don't think a thing such as the Visual Editor needs to be included because they did spend tons of time on that and that's why they make people pay for it. Also, your not being "punished" lol. You just didn't but the biggest package.

You just didn't but the biggest package.

At the time there were two package choices: yearly and perpetual. I did buy the "biggest" package.

Another thing is that you also need to read things before buying them. Many people are scammed this way and that's why. However, InvisionPower does state the things it comes with.

I did read the license before I purchased it. (I still even have a copy of it.) It doesn't mention anything about something like this happening. If it did, I might have reconsidered.

Well, its like a membership. Your paying for the forum, and also what ever comes with that package. However they allow you to do more with a bigger package. Almost every company does this. If your very aggravated about it you need to keep in mind that you did agree to pay for that package. Another thing is that you also need to read things before buying them. Many people are scammed this way and that's why. However, InvisionPower does state the things it comes with. Another advantage that IP is giving you, is the Forums. They are allowing you support and many more downloads for add-ons such as Hooks, Modules, App's, and Modifications. I don't think a thing such as the Visual Editor needs to be included because they did spend tons of time on that and that's why they make people pay for it. Also, your not being "punished" lol. You just didn't but the biggest package.

Actually, that's not a fair comparison, Firstly, it isn't like a membership, memberships expire, and have to be renewed and whatnot, it is a license agreement. You act as though, we just didn't buy the biggest package. We did, the perpetual and lifetime licenses were the biggest and best available, and the new standard license was not around to choose when we bought our licenses, anyway. Our license should be as good as the new ones and not with intentional restrictions to get us to change. And also what makes you think I didn't read the agreement? IPS isn't giving me anything, and I'm not asking them too, I just want to have my license be second class, when we paid a pretty penny for it to begin with. We should have access to the extra's at a reasonable price, without changing our licenses.

I'm not asking them to just give them to me. I just don't want to forfeit my current license to be able to pay for them.

This I agree with 100%. Just an option to buy it or even a package to buy all of the non included features. We should have the option to have all of the features available to us without being forced to give up out licenses.

Actually, that's not a fair comparison, Firstly, it isn't like a membership, memberships expire, and have to be renewed and whatnot, it is a license agreement. You act as though, we just didn't buy the biggest package. We did, the perpetual and lifetime licenses were the biggest and best available, and the new standard license was not around to choose when we bought our licenses, anyway. Our license should be as good as the new ones and not with intentional restrictions to get us to change. And also what makes you think I didn't read the agreement? IPS isn't giving me anything, and I'm not asking them too, I just want to have my license be second class, when we paid a pretty penny for it to begin with. We should have access to the extra's at a reasonable price, without changing our licenses.

But anyway I guess if you have bought a perpetual license you need to read what is in it first!

I'm not saying anything should be what it is, im just saying you need to review.

But anyway I guess if you have bought a perpetual license you need to read what is in it first!

The perpetual license in March 2006 included lifetime updates for IP.Board and support was (and still is) renewable every six months for a price. At the time there weren't any of these addons and the license made no mention of them coming in the future.

I'm not sure if you have noticed, but you have to renew your IPB License.

No, perpetual license holders renew just support, lifetime license holders renew nothing, so no I haven't noticed that. You must be a Standard license holder, otherwise you would know that. That was one of the advantages of our legacy licenses, one of the reasons to hold on to it.

Anyone holding a Perpetual or Lifetime license is welcome to switch to a Standard license as is explained in the message in your client area.

If you choose not to, that's your prerogative and we will continue to honour the terms of the license you purchased as we always have done.

Anyone holding a Perpetual or Lifetime license is welcome to switch to a Standard license as is explained in the message in your client area.

If you choose not to, that's your prerogative and we will continue to honour the terms of the license you purchased as we always have done.

I was actually already aware of this, I had hoped IPS would consider an "IP.Extras Package" or something along those lines. so we could hold on to our licenses and get the extras. IPS still gets the money to make up for the server costs or whatever and all license holders have the opportunity to get the extras, everyone wins.

IPS still gets the money to make up for the server costs or whatever and all license holders have the opportunity to get the extras, everyone wins.

That's the whole problem I have with this situation. I have yet to hear an excuse to why this can't be done except the costs that are involved, which we have well addressed. This isn't the typical "we feel we are entitled to this" post and I feel our suggestions are very reasonable and should be at least considered instead of getting a cookie cutter response.

• Management

While we understand the concern, this is discussed everytime we try to expand our services. The perpetual / lifetime debate gets really tiresome. Yes, we appreciate your business, but if I'm being honest, your purchase was at least half a decade ago.

If you want current services you need a current license. We tried an extras package and it was dramatic to track and support. Perpetual users didn't feel they needed to renew their support in order to purchase the extras, but felt they were entitled to support based on the extras. You had: Perpetual, Perpetual w/ support, Perpetual w/ Extras, Perpetual w/ Support w/ Extras. etc. Quite honestly, it's not worth it.

Bottom line: If you wish to retain your license for whatever reason, please feel free to do so. Note that our position has never changed: we will deliver exactly what we said we would. New services, resources and addons will not ever be a part of that license structure.

We can, however, convert the license, free of charge and extend it 1 year. This means, you convert to a current license structure, get access to all of the services and addons, plus no renewals for an entire year. If you're interested in this, please contact our account assistance department; we will be happy to assist.

I'm going to go ahead and close this as there's already been lengthy discussion and the outcome will not change here in this topic.

Thank you for your understanding. As always, feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns.

Archived