Visual Skin Editor - Work in progress - Areas to add to editor

Rhett

After playing with the editor I have come to find there are many areas left out or missing for editing capabilities.

I saw in the tracker some of these issues and the staff requested a thread here to list them all, feel free to add what you find as well.

Calendar - most of the calendar is not working at all.

Members page - sorting options A,B,C, etc along with page numbers.

Gallery, not sure if this is my test install or not, but none of the gallery will work at all, the VSE goes away on the gallery page.

Downloads, again most of this area is not working.

I really thought that 3.2 was going to use shared css in all these apps, so skinning one would mean the rest would be pretty close, that's not the case from what I can see so far. IMO once the forum is skinned the apps should be using the same code or as close as you can. It would make this process much easier.

After playing with the editor I have come to find there are many areas left out or missing for editing capabilities.

I saw in the tracker some of these issues and the staff requested a thread here to list them all, feel free to add what you find as well.

Calendar - most of the calendar is not working at all.

Members page - sorting options A,B,C, etc along with page numbers.

Gallery, not sure if this is my test install or not, but none of the gallery will work at all, the VSE goes away on the gallery page.

Downloads, again most of this area is not working.

I really thought that 3.2 was going to use shared css in all these apps, so skinning one would mean the rest would be pretty close, that's not the case from what I can see so far. IMO once the forum is skinned the apps should be using the same code or as close as you can. It would make this process much easier.

yes... please, pretty please, can we move away from the uncentralized APP CSS classes of 3.1.4? TBH, the 3.2 css base should provide anything one needs for layout...as such, i truly dont understand the continued need for app-specific css.

yes... please, pretty please, can we move away from the uncentralized APP CSS classes of 3.1.4? TBH, the 3.2 css base should provide anything one needs for layout...as such, i truly dont understand the continued need for app-specific css.

Agree 100%.

Here are the ones i posted in the original topic in the tracker, about what should be changeable.

The sections on the profile where it says community stats with the light blue.
The profile feed section with the blue color.
The blue header the quick navigation box.
That pink on side of the New content page (as well on other pages).
The light blue subtitle bar on pages such as the moderator list / today's top posters pages,
The green search button.
The blue header on the my media popup.
The blue button on the advanced search page that chooses which section to search.
Also a bunch of the text throughout seems to be un-editable, even though the section where the text is, is editable, so making all text colors editable would be nice..
Some of the parts for the other apps doesn't change, such as calender, blogs and gallery.
The back to top button at the bottom, that's pink when you mouse-over.
The admin bar color would be nice if it could be changed too.

I agree. If you really need something that's just in one app there should be an option to define some .css to work with just one app or something along those lines, just for the users that need it e.g. high customization and difference in layout between forums and gallery (for example)

I agree. If you really need something that's just in one app there should be an option to define some .css to work with just one app or something along those lines, just for the users that need it e.g. high customization and difference in layout between forums and gallery (for example)

... I do not understand this.... it would be a supremely simple twitch in the HTML MARKUP with 3.2 css to achieve nearly ANY layout... shouldn't need to effect special css for this in ANY way.
additionally... cant we already make and call in .css templates? I don't see why that should change...speaking of at base install of ipb/apps on previous remark.

I'll also add...

The green create account button as well.
The light blue bar on the sign in page where the sign in button and cancel is located.
The light blue bar on the registration page where the registration steps are listed.
The light blue bar when posting a new topic, where the post new topic, preview post & cancel buttons are located.

• Management

Generally, apps will always require a separate CSS file if only for specific positioning data. How can you expect the core CSS to be able to position album images, etc.

We could add it in, but if you don't have Gallery then it's just CSS code you'll never use.

There's nothing wrong with app specific CSS. The whole concept of CSS is that it cascades.

Regarding specific app CSS - we will be adding this now that the apps are out in beta and the skins have been updated. It made sense to wait otherwise we'd end up updating the JSON payload often.

Once these updates have been made, they are delivered to your forum from our servers the next time you create a new VSE skin so you won't need to wait until beta 3.

good news Matt, thanks.... I guess what I was referring to was the basics on each app could be common with the main css... I see what you are saying though and it makes sense..... if these are all added then it should not be a problem though.

• Management

Actually in 3.2, the apps use almost all the core styling. The app specific stuff is just for positioning and any specific areas that the apps have that the core doesn't. We removed almost all the per-app styling in 3.2. Over 1600 lines of CSS were removed across all the apps.

For example, Gallery had 2 main style sheets totally just under 1500 lines. Gallery for 3.2 has 1 main style sheet totalling under 600 lines.

Though I have not updated our board yet and have not had a chance to sample the Visual Skin Editor hands on, I agree with excalibur300 about adding all those sections to be changeable. If the VSE is going to be upgraded as well, then it should make changes throughout the whole complete board, not just certain sections of it. I've seen the video of the VSE in action and was happy to see its results. However, it would be much easier if we still didn't have to go back and manually change the colors of those sections not affected by the VSE to match our new skin.

Actually in 3.2, the apps use almost all the core styling. The app specific stuff is just for positioning and any specific areas that the apps have that the core doesn't. We removed almost all the per-app styling in 3.2. Over 1600 lines of CSS were removed across all the apps.

For example, Gallery had 2 main style sheets totally just under 1500 lines. Gallery for 3.2 has 1 main style sheet totalling under 600 lines.

That's great to see and hear.... I must not have had the latest versions of the 3.2 apps running on the last test.. doing another test today, so hopefully I will see this. :) thx

They had mentioned they were adding stuff on the fly on the IPS end and we would pick those up automatically... I still don't see anything.

At this point this is not worth the effort as you will still need to code 3/4 of the skin manually.

Not hating here, just being honest.

They had mentioned they were adding stuff on the fly on the IPS end and we would pick those up automatically... I still don't see anything.

At this point this is not worth the effort as you will still need to code 3/4 of the skin manually.

Here's what i have noticed... its not that they are NOT updating the VSE... the issue is that your local templates are still rough... i did a fresh install of 3.2 beta 3/IPC beta 2 and ran the fresh content templates, which it works Beautifully with the VSE, and as my content templates have had massive overhauls to 3.2, so do they.
I'm fairly certain that 3.2.0 VSE ill be solid, when the templates are all fresh.
Also, I saw the primary nav/headerbar border added.... they ARE working on it.

Actually I've remove about ~1800 lines just from Blog & Gallery, considering all the other apps we are probably over ~2600 %7Boption%7D

Matt has been working on it yesterday and he is still working on it today too as far as I know %7Boption%7D

• Management

I've pushed the changes to the skin generator server. You may like to download the attached zip and upload 'ips.skin_gen.js' into your /public/js folder too.

This will only affect new skins created with the VSE.

looks like you got quite a bit done Matt so kudos for that however there is still some of the areas I've seen at a glance that IMO are pretty important.

the pink on the side of the new content page (and other pages)
and the pink (when you highlight) back to top button
The light blue bar when posting a new topic, where the post new topic, preview post & cancel buttons are located. (this is also located on other pages)
the admin bar
the green sign in, create account and search buttons
the blue headers on popup boxes such as the my media popup among others.
the gray separator between forums and the stats at the bottom.

there are probably others like on the registration/sign in pages, i just haven't checked yet, but those are important as well.

Also I'm not sure if its a bug but on my gallery the visual editor doesn't show up on that page but it does on all others.

What excalibur300 said ^^

It's funny how the blinding 'pink' color was debated for quite some time in several threads, especially in the blog where they first gave us a taste of what v3.2 would look like before the betas were released. People were stressing how the pink totally did not match any of the current colors of the skin. I could be wrong, but it seems to me those against the pink color were more than those for it. Anyway, didn't matter, they stayed with the pink color. My point to all this is that if the pink was not removed, even after all the negative feedback against it, shouldn't it at least be included in the VSE and allow us to also edit its colors? I know we can also edit it in the CSS, but as long as they're working on a VSE to make it easier for us to design a skin, why not include it?

I agree, it seems anything pink was left non editable with the VSE maybe on purpose? haaaaaaa

Also the chat pop up as well as the normal chat are not working with VSE... along with any page numbers ... a big improvement though from the last time I checked it, but still needs a lot of work to be usable.

Something important that's not working is the menu/navigation tabs.... you can pick the background color but not the tabs.

Also forgot to mention the copyright / licensed text color at the bottom should be changeable, as it stands it looks rather ugly on a darker background
And the text on the topics page where it shows the forum name and the description underneath, neither of those colors seem to be editable, also the forum path that's above those, Among a few other things, they all just blend in with darker colors.

Archived