Suggestion for IPB 3.2... Global Sidebars

360glitch

buh...

just buh...

you can hook a sidebar in, you can template sidebars into the globalTemplate and adjust widths to fix the bugs it causes... im confused...

Why is it seemingly so difficult to achieve this?

Seriously...

its template-ing or hooking into the existing wrapper.....

.... most hooks already do that... how is this so difficult to do?

ive done it several times(not hooked, therefore not ideal)

but really?

why is this being treated as impossible?

Than, what's the formula? Or is this another arm-chair quarterback type of response?

Can, one of you, share a step-by-step "how to"?

Thanks!

Agreed. Some schooling would be useful here.

Than, what's the formula? Or is this another arm-chair quarterback type of response?

Agreed. Some schooling would be useful here.

ACP->look&Feel->skin->globalTemplate....
ipsLayout at default likely does not have the width you need, so first, add to ipbstyles.css a new definition at very end as so:

.ipsLayout_myruleleft.ipsLayout_withleft { padding-left: 320px; }

.ipsLayout_myruleright.ipsLayout_withright {  padding-right: 320px; clear: left; }

.ipsLayout_myruleleft.ipsLayout .ipsLayout_left { width: 300px; margin-left: -320px; float: left; }

.ipsLayout_myruleright.ipsLayout  .ipsLayout_right { width: 300px;  margin-right: -320px; float: right; }

Then, back to said GlobalTemplate. the trick here is to be smart about the markup. find:

<!-- ::: CONTENT ::: -->

{$items['adHeaderCode']}

<if test="mainpageContent:|:$html">{$html}</if>

{$items['adFooterCode']}

you want to do something like so:

{$items['adHeaderCode']}

<if test="mainpageContent:|:$html">

<div class='ipsLayout ipsLayout_withright ipsLayout_myruleright clearfix'>

<div class='ipsLayout_right'>

SideBar... Nice handy place to put all your adds and stuff, people cant close it, but if you are serving ads you dont want them to, eh?

</div>

<div class='ipsLayout_content clearfix'>

{$html}

</div>

</div>

</if>

{$items['adFooterCode']}

Now then, you are going to want to disable hooks on board index likely, as there's no decent method of global sidebar with the board index hooks.
then, you are going to want to pull out your firebug, inspect element what/have/you and go through places like blog, boards, regs and such and find elements(usually Fields) that overflow, if any.
these are handily dealt with.
the other apps sidebars can be snipped if needed, but there shouldn't be that need if you have twitched items appropriately... honestly how much work needs to be done for it is based on a SKINS width....
which makes shipping a pre-made solution un-viable IMHO... how do you support every skin width under the sun?

• 3 weeks later...

ipsLayout at default likely does not have the width you need, so first, add to ipbstyles.css a new definition at very end as so:

.ipsLayout_myruleleft.ipsLayout_withleft { padding-left: 320px; }

.ipsLayout_myruleright.ipsLayout_withright {  padding-right: 320px; clear: left; }

.ipsLayout_myruleleft.ipsLayout .ipsLayout_left { width: 300px; margin-left: -320px; float: left; }

.ipsLayout_myruleright.ipsLayout  .ipsLayout_right { width: 300px;  margin-right: -320px; float: right; }

Then, back to said GlobalTemplate. the trick here is to be smart about the markup. find:

{$items['adHeaderCode']}

<if test="mainpageContent:|:$html">{$html}</if>

{$items['adFooterCode']}

you want to do something like so:

{$items['adHeaderCode']}

<if test="mainpageContent:|:$html">

<div class='ipsLayout ipsLayout_withright ipsLayout_myruleright clearfix'>

<div class='ipsLayout_right'>

SideBar... Nice handy place to put all your adds and stuff, people cant close it, but if you are serving ads you dont want them to, eh?

</div>

<div class='ipsLayout_content clearfix'>

{$html}

</div>

</div>

</if>

{$items['adFooterCode']}

Now then, you are going to want to disable hooks on board index likely, as there's no decent method of global sidebar with the board index hooks.
then, you are going to want to pull out your firebug, inspect element what/have/you and go through places like blog, boards, regs and such and find elements(usually Fields) that overflow, if any.
these are handily dealt with.
the other apps sidebars can be snipped if needed, but there shouldn't be that need if you have twitched items appropriately... honestly how much work needs to be done for it is based on a SKINS width....
which makes shipping a pre-made solution un-viable IMHO... how do you support every skin width under the sun?

This just ads a second column on my forum index. So now I end up with 2 side bars. All I wan is to clone the current sidebar through other areas of the forums.

This just ads a second column on my forum index. So now I end up with 2 side bars. All I wan is to clone the current sidebar through other areas of the forums.

the only way ive found of exact replication is to use ipc blocks to "simulate" the existing hooks functions.
Board index hooks are designed to hook directly into the board index template, not the global template.

the only way ive found of exact replication is to use ipc blocks to "simulate" the existing hooks functions.

Board index hooks are designed to hook directly into the board index template, not the global template.

I thought this was supposed to be easy. :sad: My current forum index side bar has "recent topics" "recent status updates" "Latest files" etc. Are you saying to disable my entire side bar and then manually try to re-create these side widgets in a new custom sidebar?

I thought this was supposed to be easy. :sad: My current forum index side bar has "recent topics" "recent status updates" "Latest files" etc. Are you saying to disable my entire side bar and then manually trying to recreate these side widgets?

If you have ipcontent this IS easy.
http://community.inv...tent-block-r584
10 minutes work for all the default hooks, maximum....
if thats 10 minutes you simply dont want to spend then
all done for you.

I really hope its people like "you" and NOT people like me who represent the average type of IPS publisher here. :smile:

Thanks anyways, I do appreciate that you honestly and genuinely believe this is quick and easy for the average user.

I will just switch to vb. I prefer IPB in sooo many ways but I can't monetize it properly without simple global sidebars.

I really hope its people like "you" and NOT people like me who represent the average type of IPS publisher here. :smile:

Thanks anyways, I do appreciate that you honestly and genuinely believe this is quick and easy for the average user.

I will just switch to vb. I prefer IPB in sooo many ways but I can't monetize it properly without simple global sidebars.

.... if setting up global sidebars can keep an ipb customer happy, I will happily and personally do it for you freely.
I would hate to see someone forced back to VB by something so easily accomplished.

I would hate to "downgrade" to vb also. I would have purchased your $2 IP.content plugin if it could have solved my issues. If you send me your paypal address I'll donate $20 towards your setting this up for me. Hope that sounds fair.

Basically I want the current sidebar thats on our forum index to be semi- global. That is.. visible on forums (boardindex, forumview and members list only) ip.content (all pages), ip.downloads (index page only), ip.gallery (index page only). And to NOT be displayed on chat room or registration/sign in page(s).

I would hate to "downgrade" to vb also. I would have purchased your $2

IP.content plugin

if it could have solved my issues. If you send me your paypal address I'll donate $20 towards your setting this up for me. Hope that sounds fair.

Basically I want the current sidebar thats on our forum index to be semi- global. That is.. visible on forums (boardindex, forumview and members list only) ip.content (all pages), ip.downloads (index page only), ip.gallery (index page only). And to NOT be displayed on chat room or registration/sign in page(s).

Oh Oh Pick me Pick me I can do it.

Derp.

I love IPB, however, because I can easily place ads in a more global structure with VB, those sites generate more revenue than my IPB ones.

And at the end of the day, making revenue is still the driving force in a lot of software purchase decisions.

I've seen three topics on this matter that are active, so I hope that it's something IPB is looking into.

• 5 months later...

I got a related question. In 3.1 we have been using a very simple mod to get a global right sidebar, using it for banners.
But got a strange problem in 3.3.1. Pretty frustrating as we just cannot find the cause and can't upgrade before this is solved.

(I'm aware of the payable "Global sidebar" mod but that is really much more than we need.)

I have made a well documented post in the Skin forum, but after no replies and just a few views I'm trying here...

Archived