Android App

georgebkk

For quite a while now we've been testing the new Android App beta version.

As it is now it does not seem to provide anything that isn't already in the mobile skin, and as such we don't understand the point of making the app.

Who is going to waste limited memory resources on a mobile phone for an app that doesn't provide any functionality other than what exist in the mobile browser skin already.

We would very much like to see at least basic moderator functions such as topic and post management built into the app.

the app is going to have many features when it's done, it's still in a very early testing phase.

As far as limited memory resources? I'm not sure where your getting this from, sounds like someone is misleading you on how android works and handles memory! :smile:

the app is going to have many features when it's done, it's still in a very early testing phase.

As far as limited memory resources? I'm not sure where your getting this from, sounds like someone is misleading you on how android works and handles memory! :smile:

I think you are the one who has been misled. Programs on Android phones must fit into a limited amount of internal memory space. Yes there are some hacks that can expand that space, but it is still limited.

I have a HTC Desire, not the Z or HD but the original one. While it has a 16 GB memory card usable for storage of music and pictures and such stuff, programs must fit into an internal 125MB memory area of which currently 22MB are free. I keep running into this limitation and have to delete something whenever I install other stuff. Newer phones have more memory but this phone is just over a year old, should I throw it away? I run the latest Gingerbread version of Android and all the programs that can have been moved to SDRAM (this only moves part of the programs anyway).

If you know that "the app is going to have many features when it's done" maybe it would have been more productive listing these features instead? :smile:

Phil Conners,
Thaivisa Mod Team

I think you are the one who has been misled. Programs on Android phones must fit into a limited amount of internal memory space. Yes there are some hacks that can expand that space, but it is still limited.

I have a HTC Desire, not the Z or HD but the original one. While it has a 16 GB memory card usable for storage of music and pictures and such stuff, programs must fit into an internal 125MB memory area of which currently 22MB are free. I keep running into this limitation and have to delete something whenever I install other stuff. Newer phones have more memory but this phone is just over a year old, should I throw it away? I run the latest Gingerbread version of Android and all the programs that can have been moved to SDRAM (this only moves part of the programs anyway).

If you know that "the app is going to have many features when it's done" maybe it would have been more productive listing these features instead? :smile:

Phil Conners,

Thaivisa Mod Team

I'm not mislead at all my friend..... and it's sdcard not sdram... :) You can and should be installing all of your apps on your sdcard with that phone using apps2sd. This is no place to argue, so if you would like some help, I can do that via pm. ;)

sdcard sdram, so what, you should be able to understand my point without going off topic. The point is that unless it has substantial advantage over using the mobile skin we're not going to bother with it.

Two words: push notifications.

Seriously, this is a major feature. I use push for a lot of stuff and I know instantly when something is happening. Just this will make the app worth using for me and many of my users.

There will be other stuff too, I'm sure.

• 4 weeks later...

Has this app development gone dead? No replies in the last month.

Anyways I'm going to put in my two cents. First whether or not its the same as mobile board doesnt matter. Even if is the exact same having the whiteboard is worth it, I can then put it on the market (free or with a small charge to cover the cost of development of the whiteboard app). I run a gaming community, if I had an android app that would pop up in the search results then that can expose my community even more to the people that would like to join but yet, do not know it is out there. Currently 75% of my visitors come from mobile devices as it is. I for one cannot wait for this to be finished.

As Brandon said, not dead at all. I am currently waiting on some of the chaos from the 3.2 release to die down (every major release is somewhat chaotic, it's the nature of software development :)) and once that has flattened out then I'm looking to get through some rapidfire testing cycles, and release it at the same time as the new version of the iPhone app (which is already done, just waiting for Android to catch up).

• 1 month later...

Archived