Linkedin Connect

When Genius Prevailed

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I am also surprised that such a undoubtedly important social network link has not been incorporated despite being requested since June 2011.

I know. A whole year. Pound for pound LinkedIn is hundreds of times more important than Facebook and Twitter but people don't seem to realise that. LinkedIn isn't for fannying around 'liking' photos, 'poking' and playing online farming games, it's serious business.

........... But we went with Facebook.

It honestly staggers me, It's the most rediculous move since God knows what. And this lack of foresight was what had me post IP.Board And The Forum Will Be Dead Within 5 Years which inspired 9 pages of negative opinion on Facebook, which is handy (and not much of the message getting across).

LinkedIn ain't going nowhere. It'll be around long after Facebook and Twitter have died.

........... But we went with Facebook, and still a year after some good soul tried to get LinkedIn incorporated into his board, nowts been done.

The relevance of LinkedIn will vary community to community. On my site for example, I suspect less than 1% of members have LinkedIn accounts. Conversely I suspect more than 90% of members or potential members have Facebook accounts.

I'm no fan of Facebook - I don't have a Facebook account myself - but I would struggle to argue that LinkedIn integration would be of more value to me in IPB than Facebook integration.

OK well I suspect 5% of my members have Facebook accounts. Conversely I suspect more than 95% of members or potential members have LinkedIn accounts.

I'd struggle to argue that Facebook Integration would be of more value to me in IPB than LinkedIn integration, yet we have it.

But why there is an "argument" at all, or why someone would jump in on a request for something deemed important by a lot of people with a negative outlook just because it isn't applicable to their own game, boggles my mind frankly.

But why there is an "argument" at all, or why someone would jump in on a request for something deemed important by a lot of people with a negative outlook just because it isn't applicable to their own game, boggles my mind frankly.

Because you were claiming that Facebook integration in IPB was a waste of time, or to use your words, "the most rediculous move since God knows what". It may be of no use to you, but I was pointing out that for many site owners it will be a valuable feature and much more valuable than LinkedIn integration.

I actually think LinkedIn integration is a good idea and I can see how it would be useful for many communities. Mine is not one of them, but that doesn't mean I think IPS shouldn't integrate it. I agree with their decision to prioritise Facebook integration though because its usage is simply more widespread than LinkedIn (which has a niche, primarily professional user base).

Other than logging in, what would you want to see integrated with Linkedin?

Interaction with the "Profile Feed" of IP. Board would be nice for site owners.
The Answers.com site already lets users interact with them using LinkedIn.

Because you were claiming that Facebook integration in IPB was a waste of time, or to use your words, "the most rediculous move since God knows what". It may be of no use to you, but I was pointing out that for many site owners it will be a valuable feature and much more valuable than LinkedIn integration.

I was claiming nothing of the sort. They're all important. The share buttons are wholly inadequate but it was good to get the API Integration. Better late than never.

It was the fact that LinkedIn is absolutely untapped by IP.Board but Facebook was picked-up and ran with is "the most rediculous move since God knows what".

What was most worth emphasis in my post, was the demographic from both avenues and differentiating the two. Imagine starting a company. You've a football pitch filled with potential employees. You walk around selecting all the clubbers, bimbos, 12 year olds and mongaloids, start putting them in the driving seats of your start-up and neglect the large group of men and women in business attire who either probably start playing football or sod-off. It doesn't make sense to me at all..... in the long run.

There are a few reasons why Facebook will probably die and it's demographic is one of them.

The LinkedIn user is using the site to represent themselves, they're not posting a picture of themselves holding a bottle of Bacardi with a duck-face.

%7Boption%7D

... and so it's helping them in business, or rather, helping them in their actual lives. That's gonna provide for staying power. The Facebook user is a fickle creature.

I've got a number of LinkedIn accounts. Well, cos I'm a tricky fellow and I'm also time-served across a broad spectrum of sectors, which I'd prefer not to mix-up. Two of these accounts are my main state of play and they are in effect CVs (or in America you call those resumes). I'm happy for any employer to have a read through these and sometimes when they do, I get a message saying "What are you doing and what country are you in at the minute?"

Facebook isn't doing sh for me except tarnishing my reputation through association. I don't have a Facebook acct but I wouldn't want others judging me off the shyte people in my network were concentrating on, and they would.

With LinkedIn people don't have to worry about that.

I actually think LinkedIn integration is a good idea and I can see how it would be useful for many communities.

Apologies cos it kind of seemed like a fly was getting tossed into the ointment.

• As of December 31, 2011 (the end of the fourth quarter), professionals are signing up to join LinkedIn at a rate that is faster than two new members per second.
  • As of February 9, 2012, LinkedIn operates the world’s largest professional network on the Internet with more than 150 million members in over 200 countries and territories.
  • LinkedIn members did nearly 4.2 billion professionally-oriented searches on the platform in 2011*.
  • As of February 9, 2012, LinkedIn counts executives from all 2011 Fortune 500 companies as members; its corporate hiring solutions are used by 82 of the Fortune 100 companies.
  • More than 2 million companies have LinkedIn Company Pages.
  • More than 50,000 developers are using LinkedIn APIs to create innovative tools and services for professionals, averaging over two billion API calls per month as of December 31, 2011.
  • As of December 31, 2011, there are more than 300,000 unique domains actively using the LinkedIn Share button on their sites to send content into the LinkedIn platform. Referrals from LinkedIn to publisher sites around the Web are up more than 45 percent between September 30, 2011 and December 31, 2011.
  • LinkedIn members are sharing insights and knowledge in more than one million LinkedIn Groups.

I guess you could call that 'niche'.

* That's just searching for members, wait till the forums get going.

What's your site about?

It caters for a number of fields of expertise within Camera equipment, post production, audio engineering and cinematography. There are some serious members there, but not enough of them.

Other than logging in, what would you want to see integrated with Linkedin?

It's a great question granted.

I thought this was fantastic :

http://developer.lin...lugin-generator

But it's website orientated. ie, you have a website, insert the script and a small LinkedIn icon appears that displays a small LinkedIn profile when hovered over. It would be superb play if this small icon was present in a forum members profile field or in their signiture.

I'd like to see big LinkedIn share buttons at the base of all threads. At the moment, the website is totally uncatered for with 150,000,000 users is what should puzzle you. I mean, it ain't even got a presense in the piddly row of macro-share buttons that no one notices in the bottom left of all threads (if they make it to the end of a thread).

They seem to have released an API for this

http://developer.lin...s/sign-linkedin

This was great to see and it got me all worked up in the loins, but it was all pish for the following reasons. It had to go. Wasted a good 3 hours though so it ain't all bad.
  1. [*]When set up, and I followed all the steps methodically, the buttons lodged itself in a curious position. This was in IE7 because the button wouldn't show at all in Firefox. [*]When the user actually used the 'sign in with LinkedIn' what it in fact did, and this is pretty slick granted, the button dissapeared and in it's place it said "Hello Lase". Nice. Still logged out of the forum though. [*]I was hoping for a button similar to the API Facebook and Twitter inside the sign-in pop-up window. Didn't get one of those. [*]In IE7, despite signing in with LinkedIn and still being logged out of the forum, the buttons presense seemed to eliminate the option of signing in normally and when 'sign in' was clicked, the log-in box appeared, but when you entered your username and password you were still a guest.

• 2 weeks later...

I would be interested in donating/offering money to someone for making a proper LinkedIn addon.
Not just Login, but more integration. So you can connect your current account, share info to/from LinkedIn etc.

If it's a powerful LinkedIn integration I'll donate 100 Euro or more.

Top 2 Reasons LinkedIn Is Taking Over the World

I’m fascinated by LinkedIn, which now seems to me like a combination virtual headhunter and 21st-century international water cooler. Even though I’ve been on Linkedin for years, I started to notice it for real about 18 months ago, when Therese Miclot, our wonderful Practice Director of Training and de facto recruiter, began finding her best job candidates on Linkedin. Then I read an article about the importance of growing your network on LinkedIn, so I began inviting people to connect (and getting lots of invitations in return).

But the big shift in my thinking came when a post I had written here on Forbes went viral (it now has almost half a million pages views), and it turned out that the main impetus was the the fact that it showed up on the Linkedin home page.

Now I was really interested. I’ve since been trying to figure out how best to use it, and I’m still trying to get my head around it. The very best article I’ve found so far is an aggregation of other articles by the folks on a website called linkedintelligence.com, whose tagline is “Linked Intelligence is the unofficial source for all things LinkedIn™.”

In my travels, I’ve discovered that LinkedIn now has 135 million members, all over the world, and that professionals are joining at an ongoing rate of 2 per second. That’s right, do the math – it comes out to around 170,000 every 24 hours.

It’s a perfectly timed phenomenon. It combines two critical elements:

The astonishing capability of social media to create a one-to-one personal connection with virtually anyone
The demands on most businesses – even small businesses – to operate nationally and, yes, globally

Think about it in terms of job search and hiring, one of LinkedIn’s most popular uses. Even in this era, almost 50% of people say they got their job through personal connections and networking. LinkedIn allows for personal connection at a distance. When you get someone’s resume on LinkedIn, you also get a lot of other information that you’d otherwise only get by meeting him or her – you can even see how many degrees of separation you are from that person. It ‘feels’ personal. And you can get those resumes from all over the world.

We recently needed to find an extremely skilled instructor and consultant who was completely bi-lingual, who had lived and worked in both North and South America, and who would be comfortable working as a contract consultant with us (at least initially) vs. coming on staff. LinkedIn delivered us Ivan D. Cortes, who is all we wanted and more – and who, I’m certain, we never would have found without LInkedIn.

Voila: Personal + global business.

The same is true in the area of sales and customer acquisition. We’ve all become used to having access to an incredible variety of goods and services; we expect it. But we often still want to have a personal connection to the company offering us those goods and services – we want to deal with someone who we trust and who we believe understands our needs; the habit of thousands of years of making transactions with individuals doesn’t evaporate in a generation. LinkedIn can offer that: a fairly 3-D connection with a business and the people who operate it and sell their wares to you…anywhere in the world.

Again: personal + global business.

I’m going to be even more fascinated to see where it goes from here: I get the feeling it’s going to get ever more useful as it evolves and as we all figure out collectively what it can be to us.

http://www.forbes.co...over-the-world/

Archived