Community

I'm confused - New PC

I just got a brand new PC yesterday. It's got a 6 Core processor 8 Gigs of RAM, Liquid Cooled, Barracuda 1TB x7200 HDD... the lot. The instruction manual told me that I should go into Bios to change a few things before I installed an OS.. So I went into the Bios and it FROZE.. the computer became completely unresponsive. So I thought that was weird... but then when I was installing Windows 7 Ultimate (Legit disk, not pirated) the computer BSOD'ed about a minute into the installation. I restarted it and it finished the install process and the froze again a little later on. When I booted up windows and got some drivers installed I tried to do the Windows Experience Test and it BSOD'ed, I restarted and tried again and it BSOD'ed again. So I re-installed windows hoping that would fix it.... oddly enough if I have any disk (blue ray drive) in the computer when it tries to restart it won't. Second time around I got windows installed with no problems... everything seems to be working fine.. I ran the Windows Experience test just fine no BSOD... but now if the computer goes into hibernation it can't wake.

So I'm not sure what to do.... or what's going on.. any suggestions?

P.S. for those that don't know BSOD = Blue Screen of Death.

Edited by .Peter

Strange that you would buy a computer and its instructions would require a BIOS change. That's a tad bit risky area for the average consumers to have to be messing around in. However, I've only custom built, so I wouldn't know.

I'd go for the return because you don't want to void any warranty's and then have a broken fancy computer .

Ok

The myth that the BIOS is only for advanced users is just silly, it has ADVANCED sections much like an OS on any platform.. but there are very simple things in there as well like the date/time.. And OEMS guide their customers through making those changes a lot..

Either way, sounds like something wasn't installed right and they did not select the right Standby settings

Ok

The myth that the BIOS is only for advanced users is just silly, it has ADVANCED sections much like an OS on any platform.. but there are very simple things in there as well like the date/time.. And OEMS guide their customers through making those changes a lot..

Either way, sounds like something wasn't installed right and they did not select the right Standby settings

Nonsense.... any normal user of a PC has no business in the BIOS, unless as you mentioned they are being walked through it by someone who knows what's up.

There are NO oems that give instructions for a normal setup that include going into the bios. I'm thinking this guy bought a pc in a box type pc from tiger or someone like that, which would require an advanced user to setup and configure.

I can tell you now BIOS is for advance users because you can **** up your pc if do wrong settings but if remove wrong file in OS you can use backup if did item wrong in BIOS there is no backup simple as it not place to start messing with and normal everyday pc/laptop no need for you go into BIOS and also a new pc/laptop normal pre-setup you just need go thou simple setup.