Subscriptions Manager

sijad

I love this thing - it has almost everything I need, and I can't beat the price. Thank you for putting your time and effort into keeping this up to date with IP.Board.

I do have a question, though - would it be possible to add an option to a subscription package such that a member would not have to pay anything in order to subscribe to that package? I have a couple of forums on my board that are restricted from the general population, but I would like to allow members to opt-in to these forums without having to resort to placing this workload on my admin team, of manually attaching the required secondary group to said members.

Your application is almost perfect for what I want to do, except for the fact that I would currently have to require such members pay... something in order to gain access to these restricted forums. I am not sure that members would go for paying a penny (and all of the attendant heartache to set up said payment) just to automatically gain access to these restricted forums. I've seen that there's a similar type of subscription module for vBulletin that has exactly what I'm looking for (except that it runs on vBulletin).

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One would have to create a Payment Gateway for that.

That's way beyond me. Is there any hope for the near future maybe that this could be implemented? I used to use IP.Subscriptions all the time until PayPal froze my account, and all the payment gateways on there either are for non-adult sites or require "Social Security Numbers" what ever they are. (UK Citizen, has no idea what a Soical Security Number is) So the only thing I can use is Google.

Many thanks for creating a wonderful mod.

Thanks for the answer Michael, hope you can answer another question/idea.

Could a option be than I add a subscription that costs a ridiculous amount of money (Like 9999999999999$) and then have it admin controlled , allthough visible for all to see?

Since as I understood it, I cannot make a subscription that costs 0$ and lock it down to be handed out by admin's only?

I don't understand what you mean by 'admin controlled', every subscription package is admin controlled.

I love this thing - it has almost everything I need, and I can't beat the price. Thank you for putting your time and effort into keeping this up to date with IP.Board.

I do have a question, though - would it be possible to add an option to a subscription package such that a member would not have to pay anything in order to subscribe to that package? I have a couple of forums on my board that are restricted from the general population, but I would like to allow members to opt-in to these forums without having to resort to placing this workload on my admin team, of manually attaching the required secondary group to said members.

Your application is almost perfect for what I want to do, except for the fact that I would currently have to require such members pay... something in order to gain access to these restricted forums. I am not sure that members would go for paying a penny (and all of the attendant heartache to set up said payment) just to automatically gain access to these restricted forums. I've seen that there's a similar type of subscription module for vBulletin that has exactly what I'm looking for (except that it runs on vBulletin).

Please see the posts right above yours asking for the same thing.

I think the official line is that they do not work together. But from what I can tell (since I can't see the Nexus code, I can't confirm this), the only incompatibility seems to be if you install Subscriptions before Nexus. If you install them at the same time, or Nexus first, they should be able to play together nicely. But like I said, I can't 100% confirm that since I can't see what Nexus might do.

Has anyone updated to the new Nexus version? If I upgrade Nexus to 1.3.2, will it try to take over the subscriptions from Subscription Manager, or is that only for the initial install?

Has anyone updated to the new Nexus version? If I upgrade Nexus to 1.3.2, will it try to take over the subscriptions from Subscription Manager, or is that only for the initial install?

Alright, here's what you need to know about that. Prior to running the upgrade for IP.Nexus, you have to disable the Subscriptions Manager application from the Manage Applications & Modules page. If you don't, the upgrader will present you with this lovely message:

post-44642-0-75179200-1317213865_thumb.p

However, if you disable Subscriptions Manager prior to upgrading, IP.Nexus will happily upgrade itself, and from what I can tell will not touch Subscriptions data at all. It did not affect the app from what I can see, and did not import any data into Nexus.

This tip help not - still white background and class "row1" - changed to class "ibpmenu" and now is ok!

regards

bosss

Then you must not have done it correctly, or you've already modified that skin template (doing those steps will not touch modified skin templates). There should be no class defined on that <li> object.

Please see the posts right above yours asking for the same thing.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand. Perhaps I wasn't being clear in my request.

I am not asking to have my admin team hand out subscriptions to certain members. I'm not asking to have a variable subscription price to be determined by the member. I'm not asking for a "gift subscription" feature, nor am I asking to have Google Checkout installed as a payment gateway. I am not asking to have "type 1 subscription for member type x list & type 2 subscriptions for member type y," nor am I asking to have subscriptions categorized by pages. I'm not asking to have your subscription manager work with IP.Nexus. I am not asking to have your subscription manager use vBulletin paid subscriptions. I'm not asking if you could add subscription package upgrade ability into your subscription manager. I am not asking to have "grandfathered" subscriptions, nor am I asking how to force new members to purchase a subscription. I am certainly not reporting any blank-page or division by zero bugs, nor any other type of bugs.

I am asking to have the subscription manager figure out that, if I put $0.00 (or some currency variant saying the same thing) into a subscription package, the subscription manager would automatically give a given member that particular package when said member puts in his request, instead of what it does do right now, which is to go to a payment processor to handle a payment of $0.00. If this sounds to you like I'm asking the same thing as other posters in this thread, then could you show me? Because I can't see it.

OK, maybe it's not the posts right above yours, but no, as far as I'm aware you cannot create subscriptions that are free, that defeats the entire purpose of this app, which is to allow members to purchase subscriptions. If you're doing something where you want people to not pay, then you're thinking of uses of this app other than what it's intended for.

From your description, you want people to opt-in to certain forums. That's not what this app is meant to do. You probably want to create an IP.Content page where they can submit a request for particular forum access, and then have your staff sort through those requests and assign permissions as needed.

OK, maybe it's not the posts right above yours, but no, as far as I'm aware you cannot create subscriptions that are free, that defeats the entire purpose of this app, which is to allow members to purchase subscriptions. If you're doing something where you want people to not pay, then you're thinking of uses of this app other than what it's intended for.

From your description, you want people to opt-in to certain forums. That's not what this app is meant to do. You probably want to create an IP.Content page where they can submit a request for particular forum access, and then have your staff sort through those requests and assign permissions as needed.

As I understood it, the purpose of this app was give members the ability to get access to enhancements to a given board via subscriptions that changed their member groups. And, yes, if the board owner decided to make the member pay for such access, then the member had to pay.

In my understanding, if a member changed his member group via the subscription manager, then the member gained all of the benefits of the additional member group. This could mean, of course, more picture galleries or the ability to upload attachments or increased picture quotas on the board. This could also mean access to forums not covered by the base validated members group. In fact, I have set up my board so that only my admin team has access to an admin-only forum on my board (and I am certain that this particular InvisionPower board works the same way). I have successfully tested access rights to a "Not Safe for Work" forum for members, and had hoped to easily control access to it with this app.

In any case, I can see that I have wasted your time. I did not want to have my admin team burdened with having to wade through member requests when I knew that software could do the same task. I will move on, then, and probably go through the subscription manager code to figure out where to place the necessary

if ($amount_due > 0) { code to handle 'pay to allow access' } else { code to handle 'do not pay but allow access anyway' }

statement.

Thank you for your time.

Thanks for updating the app. I upgraded my site from 2.3 to 3.2 recently, then installed the subscription manager. My site has subscribed vendors with auotmatic paypal renewal setup from 2.3.

Anyway everything looks ok and properly set, but when someone's automatic renewal comes in, nothing seems to happen and the log shows this: "PayPal: Unable to process payment. Expecting amount 0.00 but got (whatever the amount)".

Any ideas on what I can look for to fix this? Thanks

And, yes, if the board owner decided to make the member pay for such access, then the member had to pay.

That's the misconception, you don't decide if you're going to charge, you decide how much to charge. If you can change the code of it to not require this, that's cool, but that's contrary to the purpose of this app.

Thanks for updating the app. I upgraded my site from 2.3 to 3.2 recently, then installed the subscription manager. My site has subscribed vendors with auotmatic paypal renewal setup from 2.3.

Anyway everything looks ok and properly set, but when someone's automatic renewal comes in, nothing seems to happen and the log shows this: "PayPal: Unable to process payment. Expecting amount 0.00 but got (whatever the amount)".

Any ideas on what I can look for to fix this? Thanks

I don't know off-hand what would cause this. You're saying this didn't occur in IP.Board 2.3 and you didn't change anything in your setup? I've not made any changes to this app except for getting it updated for the current IP.Board version, and some minor bug fixes.

Nothing changed as far as I know. Subscribers used the link in their CPs to subscribe, then it was converted to a recurring payment. After we upgraded I'm seeing the errors.

Do you know what circumstances might lead to that error?

A question regarding Subscription Manager Hook. Is it possible to setup subscription ONLY for a certain Member group and a specific Forum? For example, If I have a Forum within my Board that is called Gents Forum Only, and I want only a group that is called GENTS, to access that forum by paying a subscription fee, is that possible?

I could modify the app to do what I wanted it to do, which was allow members to manage their own subscriptions (that happened to cost $0.00). In the process of doing so, I was also able to create a trial membership-type of subscription. The no-cost subscriptions may be selected by the member, independently of paid subscription choices. My admin team can also lock members out of these no-cost subscriptions, if the members prove to be unable to abide by the forum rules, and said members will not be able to ever subscribe again to the no-cost subscriptions they were kicked out of.

Best of all, I could do this by modifying only one file in the app. It was a little more involved, than what I had posted previously, and the wording in the language files still reflect "payments," but it works.

Next, I will add a "cancel" button to the no-cost transactions, which will allow members to opt out.

Hi,

I develop a new gateway. The payment service API calls http://mysite/index....=paymentservice

and expects a message like "ok" or "error" as simple echo output after the payment is processed in IPB. Otherwise they cannot close transaction on their side. How I can manage this output answer without modifying core files of Subscription Manager?

Thank you in advance.

hi Michael

iv a small issue,

a member all ready has a subscription , that subscription is set for reoccurring payments and upgrades.

member wish's to upgrade his package to a higher one.

Now when he try's to upgrade , hes told to cancel the reoccurring payment , then try upgrade again, but on his paypal page, the member is told theres no payments set up, so cant upgrade etc

Iv narrowed this down to the fact a different paypal addy was used at first, and a new one is used with subscriptions. theres the error i aggree.

But , i did input the original transaction into the sub's manager, is there anyway to make the manager honour the settings, ie allow the upgrade

many thanks Benny

both , first in paypal , then in subs manager.

its bcos the members sub was first set up outside of subs manager with different paypal addy (ie before i used subs manager).

so the transactions where manually in putted, but as above , once a transaction has been inputted , we need the system to recognise this.

thanks for your time :)

regards benny

As far as I can see, there's nowhere in the database where it records which PayPal address was used to pay for any transaction in this app. I have always entered my transactions manually when testing this app, and didn't seem to have any issues with it letting me upgrade any subscription.

Archived