Portal

Michael.J

If this is only happening with that skin, then it's most likely a skin issue. If you open Admin CP > Look & Feel Tab > select skin > Board Index > hookRecentTopics. Has this template been modified in the skin? If so you'll need to apply the same changes to the Portals own template bit in Admin CP > Look & Feel Tab > select skin > Portal > latestPosts

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

It's a little bit different to IP.Content or a custom pages mod. You don't actually post to it, it pulls topics from selected forums to display. There's a post a little bit above on how to setup this part of the Portal.

You post topics in the forum like normal and select which forums you want to pull topics from to display in the Portal. In Admin CP > Other Apps dropdown > Portal > Portal Settings > Latest Topics (Main) - Forums.

If you want to re-arrange the actual portal blocks, you can do so through the template bit. Open Admin CP > Look & Feel Tab > select skin > Portal > skeletonTemplate. You'll see it's divided into a left and right side. You'll need to move the portal tag blocks around to re-organize the layout. If you have anymore questions, just let me know.

I do not understand how to edit the portal page and view it while editing. How do you layout the blocks and even add html text etc? Is that even possible? Is there a tutorial on how do use portal page and enable on your forum?

Thank you.

I do not understand how to edit the portal page and view it while editing.

You can't really. All you can do is have 2 windows open. Edit the skin template on one browser page then on the other do a page refresh to see the changes.

The blocks are rearranged by moving the exportable tag code around. For example the calendar code looks something like this (or used to. I now don't use the Portal hook. I've made my own with IP Content):

<!--::calendar_show_current_month::-->

You can delete this line which removes the calendar or move it somewhere else in the code to reposition it.

To add html code you can type it in directly into the skin template. A better way is to create custom blocks with IP Content and type your html code into the blocks in the IP Content block creation wizard. You then paste in the block tag code into the skin template.

Hope this helps.

3DKiwi

When I enable portal I get this error when I click on it.

Fatal error: Call to undefined method skin_blog_portal_17::tmpl_latestentries() in /home/christia/public_html/forums/admin/applications_addon/ips/blog/extensions/portalPlugins/blogs.php on line 109

When I enable portal I get this error when I click on it.

Fatal error: Call to undefined method skin_blog_portal_17::tmpl_latestentries() in /home/christia/public_html/forums/admin/applications_addon/ips/blog/extensions/portalPlugins/blogs.php on line 109

Is there any other way to fix this besides deleting blogs.php? I want to display the blog block on the portal but when I add the code to the portal skeleton template I get that error.

Hi -

We're about to do an upgrade from 3.14 to 3.23.

We use the legacy portal in 3.14 as the main landing page of our board. We use several custom portal plugins that were developed for us. The main feature in our 3-column format is Esther Eisner's super news feed portal plugin in the middle. We also feature these customized plugins for the portal: auto birthday greeter, global message, latest social groups, agenda view (calendar events),

In our current portal, we do have the legacy blog portal plugin and we would really like to feature that going forward. I have read all the latest posts here about blogs and plugins. We do have IP Content so we can create a block if that will help. Would that be the best solution until you develop an update for 1st party apps?

Also, given your upgrade instructions:

If you've upgraded from IPB 3.0 or 3.1 and this is not a fresh install of IPB 3.2, you will need to remove the previous portal files and plugins.

Make sure you remove the portal folder from the admin/applications_addon/ips/ folder.

You may still have old portal plugins that have not been upgraded for IPB 3.2. You can find these in the applications extensions/portalPlugins/ folder.

If we follow these instructions, will all the custom plugins be erased?

Thanks,

Brian

Hi!

How I can enable portal for guest, when forum is available only for registered users??

regards

cr3pt

Yes! At least you could. There is a hook built just for that ... looking ... yep, here it is: http://community.invisionpower.com/files/file/3575-view-portal-permissions/

It says for 3.14 so you'll need to check with the hook author to find out if it will work in 3.2 ..

We're about to do an upgrade from 3.14 to 3.23....

Yeah the easiest way would be to create an ip.content block and just add the block code to the skeletonTemplate.

Yes but if you do have some custom plugins in there, you can move them from the old portal folder (admin/applications_addon/ips/portal/extensions/portalPlugins) to the new portal folder (admin/applications_addon/other/portal/extensions/portalPlugins). Don't replace any new existing files (portal.php comes to mind)

Hi!

How I can enable portal for guest, when forum is available only for registered users??

regards

cr3pt

You have the force guests to login setting enabled?

I just upgraded from an erarlier version of IPB 3 to the newest and installed the portal. Seems I got everything working except the blocks on the left. Any help would be appreciated.

<if test="disablelightbox:|:!$this->settings['disable_lightbox']">

{parse template="include_lightbox" group="global" params=""}

</if>

<div class='ipsLayout ipsLayout_withright ipsLayout_largeright clearfix'>

<div class='ipsLayout_left'>

<!--::portal_sitenav::-->

<!--::online_users_show::-->

<!--::missing_get_image::-->	 

</div>

<div class='ipsLayout_content clearfix'>

<!--::upcoming_get_events::-->

</div>

<div class='ipsLayout_right'>

<!--::latest_topics_sidebar::-->

<!--::google::-->

<!--::ebay::-->

</div>

</div>

{parse template="include_highlighter" group="global" params="1"}

http://www.bobblebums.com

Your css looks to be set up for the default 2 columns. The following css properties (I think) need changing:

.ipsLayout .ipsLayout_left {
float: left;
margin-left: -210px;
width: 200px;
}

Should be something like:

.ipsLayout .ipsLayout_left {
margin-left: -10px;
width: 200px;
}

#content, .main_width {
margin: 0 auto;
min-width: 960px;
width: 87% !important;

Should be something like:

#content, .main_width {
margin: 0 auto;
min-width: 960px;
width: 100% !important;

and

.ipsLayout_content {
width: 80%;

should be something like:

.ipsLayout_content {
width: 80%;

The result being
post-75662-0-53083100-1326947195_thumb.j

Your logo image needs fixing up. The way I would do it is to replace the blue background image branding_bg.png with a white image or you can edit the css

#branding {
background: url("http://www.bobblebums.com/bobbleheads/public/style_images/master/branding_bg.png") repeat-x scroll 0 0 #0F3854;
border-bottom: 1px solid #1B3759;
min-height: 64px;

Change to:

#branding {
background: none repeat scroll 0 0 white;
border-bottom: 1px solid #1B3759;
min-height: 64px;

The result being
post-75662-0-48715100-1326947199_thumb.j

Hope this helps.

3DKiwi

p.s. This was all done using the free Firebug plugin for Firefox. Essential for anyone wanting to adjust the css of their forums.

Guest Reystar

Just following up your other communications, I assume everything is setup now? By the way, thanks for help 3DKiwi. :smile: My css knowledge is crap, saved me a bit of time there.

Are ya gonna update the file on Markeplace buddy? Should i wait or install it now? :)

Archived