Portal

Michael.J

Yup I tried that and I'm still getting the same error.

Check if the template bits were added, see acp > look & feel tab > select skin. Look for Portal template group and the articles template bit. If it does exist, then your skin cache is not being rebuilt properly. If it didn't add the template bits, check this article here.

• 2 weeks later...

Setting up and testing here:

http://makeoutclub.com/index.php?/portal/

I'd REALLY love a way to make the profile thumbs larger, can you advise where in the codez to do that?

Open Admin CP > Look & Feel tab > select skin > Portal > articles.

Find:

ipsUserPhoto_medium

Replace With:

ipsUserPhoto_large

How can I pay you to remove the copyright? Love this app.

I have a strange issue with topics with thousands of replies (I know they are there) saying "replies: 0" on the portal page...

You can purchase copyright removal here.

Is it just topics with lots of replies that have this problem?

Thanks man - will get on this by EOD. Still tuning this bad boy...

It appeares to be threads that have a lot of replies. For example on my website (link in sig) threads like "BUMMERZ" and "A thread for the subjects that aren't worth their own thread." show as 0.

A few others questions:

• Is there any way to keep formatting intact on articles? It seems to strip them of their formatting when it reposts them in the main column!
  • How do I get this page recognized in the mobile app skins as a main section or homepage? I set this to my homepage using the code found here: http://community.invisionpower.com/resources/documentation/index.html/_/new-docs/ipboard/server-environment-and-security/changing-the-default-application-r616 - but when i land on this page as a mobile app, it immediately appears with the "homepage" back button, because while it lands here by default, it doesnt honor it as the actual home, more as a redirect that i put in the code. (I have deactivated the mobile site for now)
  • One other small issue - on the mobile site, the skin scrubs clean the ads on the other pages because its in mobile mode, but appears to try to load ad code on the portal, which is breaky. However there are no ad overrides in ACP for this page specifically in the advertising section because this isn't out-of-the-box any longer... Any tips for overriding global ads on this page and instead loading responsive or mobile ads, or better yet - getting this shoehorned into IP.Board mobile layout properly?
  • I'd also love to know where I can find other fun plugins and blocks to put here, as I'm not code savvy at all :sad: - learning!

Thank you!

Thank you so much.

It appeares to be threads that have a lot of replies. For example on my website (link in sig) threads like "BUMMERZ" and "A thread for the subjects that aren't worth their own thread." show as 0.

Try editing the same template bit as above but with this edit. It looks like it's formatting the post count twice, so that might be the cause here.

Find:

{parse format_number="$topic['posts']"}

Replace With:

{$topic['posts']}

A few others questions:

• Is there any way to keep formatting intact on articles? It seems to strip them of their formatting when it reposts them in the main column!
  • How do I get this page recognized in the mobile app skins as a main section or homepage? I set this to my homepage using the code found here: http://community.invisionpower.com/resources/documentation/index.html/_/new-docs/ipboard/server-environment-and-security/changing-the-default-application-r616 - but when i land on this page as a mobile app, it immediately appears with the "homepage" back button, because while it lands here by default, it doesnt honor it as the actual home, more as a redirect that i put in the code. (I have deactivated the mobile site for now)
  • One other small issue - on the mobile site, the skin scrubs clean the ads on the other pages because its in mobile mode, but appears to try to load ad code on the portal, which is breaky. However there are no ad overrides in ACP for this page specifically in the advertising section because this isn't out-of-the-box any longer... Any tips for overriding global ads on this page and instead loading responsive or mobile ads, or better yet - getting this shoehorned into IP.Board mobile layout properly?
  • I'd also love to know where I can find other fun plugins and blocks to put here, as I'm not code savvy at all :sad: - learning!

1. Not if the truncate setting is enabled. There's more details on this several pages back but to summarize the function that IPB has to truncate posts strips out formatting. There are 3rd party options that I might consider but not until after IPB4 now.
  2. Might want to try "URL Remapping" for the ip.board mobile skin. I recommend the same edit for changing the default app, so my guess is this is designed to work this way or a bug with IPB.
  3. The Portal shouldn't have any ad code in it, could you provide a screenshot of this to better help me understand?
  4. Search the IPS Marketplace for "portal", z1000-forum.de and others have made quite a few different portal blocks.

Thanks Mike - how do I set Portal as default homepage so that it responds in the same way that "forums" does when set to home?

For example, if I set homepage default to forums, both going to the URL directly AND clicking on "forums" in the navigation take you to www.makeoutclub.com/

but if I set portal to homepage default, clicking on "portal" (which I have set as "home") doesnt take you to root URL, it takes you to makeoutclub.com/portal/

For example:

http://makeoutclub.com/index.php - log in

http://makeoutclub.com/portal - click on the link to the app in the nav

http://makeoutclub.com/ - type it in or click logo.

All go to the portal page. What's interesting is google stopped serving my ads on makeoutclub.com homepage after I installed this, I think maybe due to the fact that the "home" button on nav doesnt take you to .com/ - but .com/portal/

Not sure.

Thanks very much for the code snippet regarding response count... This code wasn't in my Portal>Articles template:

{parse format_number="$topic['posts']"}

Also, Is there a way to add timestamp of last reply on my "main column" default latest article responses? It shows the date which the first post was made, which in some cases is quite old, but not the date of the latest response. Just wondering :smile:

Thanks Mike - how do I set Portal as default homepage so that it responds in the same way that "forums" does when set to home?

There's no easy way of changing the default app functionality without modifying IPB source code. The default app does just that, when accessing the url http://makeoutclub.com/ it loads the Portal. The default skin has a "forums" tab so members can easily go to the forums despite the Portal being loaded by default. Perhaps you could modify your skin to include an easier back back tot he forums url. e.g. http://makeoutclub.com/index

Also, Is there a way to add timestamp of last reply on my "main column" default latest article responses? It shows the date which the first post was made, which in some cases is quite old, but not the date of the latest response. Just wondering :smile:

I'm not at home right now but I believe it's

{parse date="$topic['last_post']" format="SHORT"}

Let me know if you need help with exact placement.

Awesome Mike, thank you - will update again when I get home from work.

One other emerging issue is display of YouTube's within column http://makeoutclub.com/ - on page 1/2 youll see youtube vids rendering larger than column width - is there a global define there or an easy way to increase the size of these columns?

Sorry for the questions -- no rush

This worked! Still cant get the +1000 reply threads to not show "0" replies though.

Can you check the articles template bit again, that code above should be in there unless it's been modified. It's towards the bottom of the template, near the following code.

{$this->lang->words['replies']}

BOOM. WORKED!!!!

last question - can I fix width of center "article" column somewhere or somehow force embedded images/youtubes to stop at the edges of this center column? YouTube vids/etc are breaking through into the right column. Doesnt matter on my 25x16 30", but for users on small res, it looks piled on... May just need to shut off long format articles...

Appreciate your patience with my non-coding noobness.

last question - can I fix width of center "article" column somewhere or somehow force embedded images/youtubes to stop at the edges of this center column? YouTube vids/etc are breaking through into the right column. Doesnt matter on my 25x16 30", but for users on small res, it looks piled on... May just need to shut off long format articles..

It gets a bit tricky to force a flash video to a certain size like that. Obviously have a fixed width skin is not helping here either but how much of an overlap is there? One option would be to resize the embed dimensions themselves if you don't mind a slightly smaller video elsewhere as well.

Question - New Users module displays incomplete registrations as a blank name that says "new!" (my new user group name...)

Here's my code - any way to modify so it only shows people who succesfully completed reg?

<?php

if ( ! $this->registry->isClassLoaded( 'portalBlocks' ) )

{

$classToLoad = IPSLib::loadLibrary( IPSLib::getAppDir( 'portal' ) . "/sources/blocks.php", 'portalBlockGateway' );

$this->registry->setClass( 'portalBlocks', new $classToLoad( ipsRegistry::instance() ) );

}

print $this->registry->getClass('portalBlocks')->show_newest_members();

?>

Hi Mike,

I need to upgrade my forum from 3.4.5 to 3.4.6. I only have a few hooks installed. so I will turn those off during the upgrade, do I need to do anything with the portal?Or do I just turn off my hooks and leave the portal as it is and just upgrade?

Finally, when I click on Facebook or Twitter posts it shows the posts in both social network sites fine but it lists the forum name too, for example, I might post 'MTV show tonight' as my topic but when I click on the share button it appears on Facebook for example as 'MTV show tonight' Open Forum or what ever the name of the forum is, can the forum names be hidden in the social network links?

Your advice is really appreciated