Portal

Michael.J

hello, paginitation is not working @ the portal !! i have the last version

i missed some thing ?

What was your download date, the pagination issue was fixed in the latest version.

I use the Portal App on http://www.digitalkameraforum.com/ and i think somethink is not ok. The right Blocks are moved down.

Where is the Problem?

Enable/disable your portal blocks until you find the block that's causing this. It looks like one block is not closing some html code properly.

Necessary otherwise the truncate function might cut into the middle of a line break or bit of html code. When I find a truncate function that can handle html content, I'll be adding it. I'll be looking if IPB4 has anything to offer.

Thank you for your reply much appreciated and thank you for your brilliant products Mike :smile:

It there a way to run multiple instances of recently added posts block and each of them to extract latest posts from a different forum category? Thanks!

Not with the current features. You'd need to duplicate then modify the current block to pull from another source.

I'm trying to explain what the Portal is to someone but a good example would help. Does anyone have a good example setup that i could use as an example? Thank you. :smile:

My forum has an example with a few different blocks, even a Google search for the portal copyright text should yield some results.

Until you change your avatar to a double face palm this is by far the most interesting thread on IPS.

On to the meat of the post. I like the changes to the portal, pagination of news articles, the way it integrates, so on and so on but what I feel needs improvement is the way the main articles display. Images are 90% of what is interesting to people. You get clicks from images of Miley Cirus holding big fingers, but text of that not so much. We think with our eyes that's the nature of the internet. Can we allow some BBC code and strip the rest, like in our case I would like to use the [float] BBC which does what it says floats an image left or right of the post body.

Ultimately if the article highlights which are center main body of the portal could look like this it would be an amazing improvement.

post-70533-0-76908700-1378525838_thumb.p

I'd like to scale down the heading which I know I can do now in css, but I'd like to float the heading and body like above.

I AM WILLING TO PAY FOR A CUSTOM MODIFICATION.

PM me here or advise in this thread.

Thank you sir.

Hello :smile:

Is there a way to make changes to the block title ie.... have larger text, colour font etc? I've tried some html but doesn't go through on that part.

Many thanks!

Trying it on a test board at the moment.

The portal uses the ipb_styles.css for it's elements.

Of course you could rewrite your own blocks and define the look inline with the content. Both options are available to you.

MJ -

Setting ACP > DevFuse > Portal >> Newest Post Forum Select

I select the forums I want the portal to pull from by highlighting them, leaving unhighlighted for the forums I don't want. Simple.

However the block is still pulling from forums I don't want it to.

In my case I have two blocks top center one pulls the latest posts the other pulls the latest files. Each file generates a new topic into a specific various forums (more than one forum depends on the file). So what is happening is the left and right block are filling with the same information when I've specifically excluded the support topic forums from populating int he new posts block. Checked and Verified.

So I'm assuming there is something fundamental going wrong here like the string being built wrong where you would exclude forums (1, 5, 14, 25, 130, 240, 244 ) where it is not closed or expecting another value by way of extra comma. IDK. Maybe you know where you can look for a cause.

I can provide site specific log in details if needed, but this appears on both our live and dev boards.

Is there a way to make changes to the block title ie.... have larger text, colour font etc? I've tried some html but doesn't go through on that part.

Block title as in the sidebar blocks (Latest Discussions or Site Navigation)? There isn't a separate css file for the Portal but you could just as easily add some inline css in the skeletonTemplate template bit to override the current css styles. Let me know the exact area you want changed and can help you put together an edit if needed.

MJ -

Setting ACP > DevFuse > Portal >> Newest Post Forum Select

I select the forums I want the portal to pull from by highlighting them, leaving unhighlighted for the forums I don't want. Simple.

However the block is still pulling from forums I don't want it to.

In my case I have two blocks top center one pulls the latest posts the other pulls the latest files. Each file generates a new topic into a specific various forums (more than one forum depends on the file). So what is happening is the left and right block are filling with the same information when I've specifically excluded the support topic forums from populating int he new posts block. Checked and Verified.

So I'm assuming there is something fundamental going wrong here like the string being built wrong where you would exclude forums (1, 5, 14, 25, 130, 240, 244 ) where it is not closed or expecting another value by way of extra comma. IDK. Maybe you know where you can look for a cause.

I can provide site specific log in details if needed, but this appears on both our live and dev boards.

Just double check the option "-- Select all forums --" isn't selected as well, might confuse the code a bit.

Block title as in the sidebar blocks (Latest Discussions or Site Navigation)? There isn't a separate css file for the Portal but you could just as easily add some inline css in the skeletonTemplate template bit to override the current css styles. Let me know the exact area you want changed and can help you put together an edit if needed.

Thanks. I've just installed it on the live forum and it's looking so much different to the test board so pretty much happy with it for the time being. Thanks again. :D

Checked. Was not selected previously.

I will need to test this on your board. I've just tried on my test board and the code seems to be working just fine. Querying the database for only the forums selected in the setting.

When I create a topic with a start time in the future, it still appears in the portal immediately. Is there a work around?

Thanks!

I'm not sure what you mean by start time in the future? Is this a hook or a default IPB feature?

Referring to the "Topic Open Time" here:

9835034275_95c9d77166_o.png

I don't use that feature myself, does it just close the topic until after the topic open time? Then that topic would appear as closed in the Portal?

It's getting warm in the land down under .. me thinks MJ is getting some well deserved speedo time in at the beach. Don't worry we'll be here when you get back. :devil:

haha I wish, only our Prime Minister can pull that look off. :P I'm just catching up with support now and will get a reply up to that pm shortly. ;)

Until a few days ago I was able to let pinned topics at the top of the Portal until I unpinned them. Now, for no reason I can imagine, the pinned topics are pushed down by newer topics. Any ideas please?

Okay upon close inspection it looks that's the default in version 1.4.1 and I had not noticed this since my last upgrade from two weeks ago. I did something maybe barbaric that it seems to fix my problem though. I replaced admin/applications_addon/other/portal/sources/blocks.php with the older file I had from version 1.2.0.

If you see this as a very bad idea please let me know; as I said, so far, so good.

Until a few days ago I was able to let pinned topics at the top of the Portal until I unpinned them. Now, for no reason I can imagine, the pinned topics are pushed down by newer topics. Any ideas please?

I've changed the way pinned topics are displayed, they can no longer be forced to the top. I was having too many issues with the code when introducing new features, so took out what I considered was the least used feature. I'm afraid you'll have to use an older version until I can re-add this feature.