Portal

Michael.J

Mike thanks for your response, I might give it a try. To be honest ...

If you're looking for a custom solution you'll probably find help with that request with the folks who charge for services.

As to both of your posts previously and the way you want the portal to work; it does work that way with very little configuration and fine tuning depending on your needs. I've run the portal since long before it was even part of forum software or offered as an add-on. Sure it's undergone some changes but it's always managed to handle the simplistic need it was designed to do and much much more. I have no dog in this race but inferring that other products are functionally better or supported better can be and probably are rather adverse to your goal.

Specifically the functionality you have mentioned is handled by the portal (ironically almost exactly that way) which is why your sentiments are odd. MJ does a great job supporting the portal. I can't speak to the unreal portal but I'm sure it serves a need.

I see that you've installed the unreal portal on your test site. Apparently I just spent 10 minutes collecting my thoughts for nothing. Good luck.

thompsone, thank you. I actually have both portals installed. Unreal is just the visible one right now. When I get home tonight I intend on trying the what Mike John suggested. I basically want a forum topic to display as the news rather than latest posts. If anything, I apologize to everyone as you can imagine I'm simply frustrated that IPB doesn't come up with a home page solution. I even went as far as purchasing IP Content and completely gave up afterwards. Anyway, thanks again guys. -MT

I am more than willing to continue sharing ideas and help out in any way that I can if it will ultimately result in a one package home page solution.

I'll look at putting together more examples on how to add blocks. Technically you can add blocks like UPortal but I do think there is room for improvement for those who may not know how to code at all.

Hi Mike,

I am using the latest version of the Portal and I would like to know he following: Using the Latest Topic Main Block the headline uses always for each word at the beginning capital letters. How can I change this that the headline is always written in the same way like the thread ?

This shouldn't be a code related issue. Are you using a custom skin? It might be using the css style "text-transform" to change your titles.

Just implemented it and it seems to be working! Thanks a lot, Mike. Your apps and your support are the best. :D

I am having some issues here. The portal works fine in the installed location in the /forum folder but try as I might I cannot get the portal to load from the main url. I get the error

Warning: require_once(./home/******/public_html/beernque.com/forum/initdata.php) [function.require-once]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/******/public_html/beernque.com/index.php on line 27

Fatal error: require_once() [function.require]:
Failed opening required
'./home/******/public_html/beernque.com/forum/initdata.php'
(include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/******/public_html/beernque.com/index.php on line 27

I have tried the various fixes here but to no avail. I am hoping someone has an idea how to fix it. I have edited the various files and uploaded them to verify but no luck there either.

I am having some issues here.

This is a permissions issue. You're telling the forum software that it's root path is /my/directory/site/forum/ but you want to assign the root path as /my/directory/site/

There are multiple ways of fixing this but you want to think more long term about how you want to index your content and how the search engines will index it. If you are going to use the portal and there is no reason to actually have the forum outside the site root then the simple fix is just move everything out of the /forum/ directory to the site root or /my/directory/site/ then changing the settings in the ACP to reflect the change. This will fix the problem but more importantly give your pages a higher site related index quality for search engines. Everyone has a difference of opinion on SEO and FURL.

Now if you want to keep everything in your /forum/ directory you can just drop a simple php redirect into your site root that tells anybody who opens that URL that the new URL is something different. What this does is when someone looks at your site's URL yoursite.com the index file tells the browser to look at yoursite.com/forum/

<Create A File> [goes into your site root]

index.php

<?
header( "HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently" );
header( "Status: 301 Moved Permanently" );
header( "Location: http://yoursite.com/forum/" );
exit(0); // This is Optional but suggested, to avoid any accidental output
?>

Replace "yoursite.com" with your site root.

There are a few other ways to do this but they are more complex.

Don't forget to change your initdata.php default app to 'portal'.

How can I add some Custom Blocks?? I do not know how to create the custom code.....Is there more codes somewhere?

Other Aps > Portal > Manage Blocks

That's where they are managed. Is there a listing of blocks that are just plug-n-play. I don't believe there is as it's all fairly custom and specific to need. You might have to outsource that bit if you don't know your way around to coding it.

How can I also change the name seen below to News? Thanks!!

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2013-02-20 at 9.55.41 PM.png

System Settings > System > General Configuration

Somewhere you have the site root or site name set as "Portal" I can't remember if I had to edit the breadcrumb but I don't think so. This is also important to get right for SEO and FURL. Any changes you make may have to be recached if you're caching pages.

How can I make one of my forum always sort the topics by the time & date that it was created and move up as members reply. I did this and its still not working.....

ACP > Forums > Pencil to the right of the forum you want to edit.. > Postable Settings > Postable Forum Settings: Sorting and Ordering near the bottom.

http://www.iflysimx....ex.php?/portal/

Also I tried to remove the share social icons but its not working either.....

I'm not sure I'm following your question. The default way the portal handles displaying the topics from the forum(s) you select is based on the last reply, if you want to change that a file modification is needed it's not a setting in the ACP.

site root > admin > applications_addon > other > portal > blocks.php

1) Make a copy should you need to revert the changes.

2) Edit the file and find:

$this->DB->execute();

while( $row = $this->DB->fetch() )
			{
				$unpinned[ $row['last_post'] ] = $row['tid'];
				$all[ $row['last_post'] ]      = $row['tid'];
			}
		}

Change it to:

$this->DB->execute();

while( $row = $this->DB->fetch() )
                        {
                                $unpinned[ $row['start_date'] ] = $row['tid'];
                                $all[ $row['start_date'] ]      = $row['tid'];
                        }
                }

3) Save your changes and upload the file if necessary.

4) Recache your skins: -- ACP > Look & Feel > Template Tools > "<All Skin Sets>" [Recache Skin Sets]

To remove the share social icons in just that block

1) ACP > Look & Feel > Manage Skin Sets & Templates > Manage Templates in "Your Skin Set"

2) Open in Templates Tab > Portal > articles

3) Find

<div class='general_box'>
            <h3 class='ipsType_smaller'>&nbsp;            
                {$topic['share_links']}

4) Replace

<div class='general_box'>
            <h3 class='ipsType_smaller' style='display: none;'>&nbsp;            
                {$topic['share_links']}

5) Save changes.

Hello, I have an issue with "Portal" application. I upgraded to latest version of IPB two days ago, and now the app is not showing up in "Other Apps" like it used to. It is still installed, and still showing up in "Installed Applications."

Questions:

1) How do I fix this? If the absence of this application in the "Other Applications" list is by design, where do I go to change content in the blocks of my portal if so?

2) Is there detailed documentation for this Portal? If so, can somebody kindly point me to it?

portal version is: 1.3.0.1

IPB is 3.4.2

Thank you!

Ed

ejsimcox at gmail.com

1) How do I fix this? If the absence of this application in the "Other Applications" list is by design, where do I go to change content in the blocks of my portal if so?

2) Is there detailed documentation for this Portal? If so, can somebody kindly point me to it?

1) Do you have any other applications installed? Might be a cache issue, try rebuilding your cache in Admin CP > System Tab > Cache Management.

2) Some basic docs have been added here. I'm putting together a list of more I can add, if there is something you want to see in there, let me know.

Hi Mike,

I am using the latest version of the Portal and I would like to know he following: Using the Latest Topic Main Block the headline uses always for each word at the beginning capital letters. How can I change this that the headline is always written in the same way like the thread ?

Do you have an example of this? Viewing your portal versus the actual posts they appear to be the same.

Hello, I have an issue with "Portal" application. I upgraded to latest version of IPB two days ago, and now the app is not showing up in "Other Apps" like it used to. It is still installed, and still showing up in "Installed Applications."

Questions:

portal version is: 1.3.0.1

IPB is 3.4.2

Thank you!

Ed

ejsimcox at gmail.com

I thought Mike was running 3.4.1 on INDMAS already so basically you upgraded a maintenance release and you had this problem? Odd. Make sure you recache both the site Tools & Settings > Cache Management > Recache All and Applications & Modules > Manage Applications & Modules > Recache Apps & Modules.

It should be managed the same way you're used to managing the portal, nothing has changed that I'm aware of.

Did you also upgrade the portal application?

Hi every body, i would to thank Mike for this great hook, its just great man :D

i not sure that some one have the same bug as me, in the last threads block when a youtube video is add in one of the topics the portal is not loaded fully, its breaked just after the video !

i have a suggestion, a block to add maybe, can we create a block with the whole names of forums with links, when we click on a forum the portal is reloaded with only last topics located in this forum, show topics by forums in the portal !? hope its clear ?? :lol: :lol:

Hi every body, i would to thank Mike for this great hook, its just great man :D

i not sure that some one have the same bug as me, in the last threads block when a youtube video is add in one of the topics the portal is not loaded fully, its breaked just after the video !

i have a suggestion, a block to add maybe, can we create a block with the whole names of forums with links, when we click on a forum the portal is reloaded with only last topics located in this forum, show topics by forums in the portal !? hope its clear ?? :lol: :lol:

Do you have an example of where this can be seen?

Are you using the IPB truncation feature? It sounds like the markup is being broken or not closed right and the truncation feature is notorious for that.

Versions you're running always helpful.

Not a feature but try this template edit. Uses the built in IPB truncate function. Change the value 300 to how many chars you want.

Open Admin CP > Look & Feel Tab > select skin > Portal > articles.

Find;

{$topic['post']}

Replace With;

{IPSText::truncate($topic['post'],300)}

Save.

yes i am using truncate in my blocs, i'd used the above code, i missed somle thing purhapse !!?

i have the last version installed !