Portal

Michael.J

I'm trying to manage the mini-calendar to look better, and perhaps its not taking in the CSS it needs.

What I have done thus far, is add the code {parse block="portal_mini_calendar"} in the skeleton layout.

I notice that the mini calendar looks correct, with proper spacing, etc. on any page where it is set up through out any theme. However it lacks spacing on the front page portal. Perhaps a property can be added to {parse block="portal_mini_calendar"}? Or, some other method I haven't noticed yet?

What version of the board software are you running and what version of portal?

Testers are telling me of a mobile error. When it switches to IP.Board Mobile theme be it browser or on phone the following error is displayed:

Fatal error: Call to a member function articles() on a non-object in /home/xxxx/public_html/xxxxx/admin/applications_addon/other/portal/sources/blocks.php on line 529

How can we get mobile theme to display?

Testers are telling me of a mobile error. When it switches to IP.Board Mobile theme be it browser or on phone the following error is displayed:

Fatal error: Call to a member function articles() on a non-object in /home/xxxx/public_html/xxxxx/admin/applications_addon/other/portal/sources/blocks.php on line 529

How can we get mobile theme to display?

Open ACP > Look & Feel Tab > select IP.Board Mobile > Portal. Can you see the articles template bit? If so, rebuild your skin cache.

This may be outside the realm of support for Portal, but Ill ask just in case. Using the IPB Shoutbox, does anyone know how to make it display ONLY on this Portals front page?

In the Shoutbox's "Pages list" setting, try adding app=portal. And then change "Type of Page Check" to the last option.

Thanks Mike, that did it.

One more thing.

Changed a line in the block.php

$unpinned[ $row['start_date'] ] = $row['tid'];
$all[ $row['start_date'] ] = $row['tid'];

Wanted the center news that pulls from the news forum to always sort by when it was posted and not when someone replies. That works good with the above code.

However, on the side module for Recently Added Posts I see something peculiar.

I posted a test message to one of the news articles. It displayed under the side bar, that there was a new reply to that post. I then deleted the reply to that news article post. I refreshed the front page, but that test message response is still listed under Recently Added Posts on the sidebar. If I click on it, it just takes me to the original message itself, and no reply is there, because I deleted it obviously.

Anyway to fix that? Sorry if I missed it in this thread, its long and its easy to miss content.

Hello! First of all thank you for the awesome work, then i've got two little tweaks to do, if possible:

- I have set that th portal is showned on the omepage of my site (es: mysite.net), but the link in the menùs is like "mysite.net/forum/index.php?/portal/", it's possible to make it just "mysite.net"?

- It's possible to have just some of the words that are in the latest topics of a section? (like a news site that there is a "read more" link that send you to the topic page)

(sorry for my bad english)

Not a feature but try this template edit. Uses the built in IPB truncate function. Change the value 300 to how many chars you want.

Open Admin CP > Look & Feel Tab > select skin > Portal > articles.

Find;

{$topic['post']}

Replace With;

{IPSText::truncate($topic['post'],300)}

Save.

Is it possible to do something like this?

if ($postnum == 0) { ?>
		{$topic['post']}
	else

if ($postnum == 0) { ?>
		{$topic['post']}
	else

I have been using this for years. The only trick is that if the truncation happens inside of markup things don't get closed as expected and fun stuff happens. So you have to really watch what you post in your news forums that the portal is pulling from if you use this. It's a handy tool to keep in your toolbox tho for areas where text formatting is impossible because that one guy on your boards has to have a topic with 490 characters in it.

As a heck yeah that's an amazing fix to the news section Carbonox. I'll keep a watch on this thread hopefully MJ can share a "how to" I'm running 1.2 and 3.3.4 so I'd probably have to patch my version.

I want to hide the MEMBERS link in the navigation bar and move it to the bottom block, and rename it "Registered Users" right behind "Overall Top Posters".

the current code is:

<?php

if ( ! $this->registry->isClassLoaded( 'portalBlocks' ) )
{
$classToLoad = IPSLib::loadLibrary( IPSLib::getAppDir( 'portal' ) . "/sources/blocks.php", 'portalBlockGateway' );
$this->registry->setClass( 'portalBlocks', new $classToLoad( ipsRegistry::instance() ) );
}

print $this->registry->getClass('portalBlocks')->show_board_stats();

?>

can you provide me the updated code to paste there to do this?

Thanks Mike, that did it.

One more thing.

Changed a line in the block.php

$unpinned[ $row['start_date'] ] = $row['tid'];
$all[ $row['start_date'] ] = $row['tid'];

Wanted the center news that pulls from the news forum to always sort by when it was posted and not when someone replies. That works good with the above code.

However, on the side module for Recently Added Posts I see something peculiar.

I posted a test message to one of the news articles. It displayed under the side bar, that there was a new reply to that post. I then deleted the reply to that news article post. I refreshed the front page, but that test message response is still listed under Recently Added Posts on the sidebar. If I click on it, it just takes me to the original message itself, and no reply is there, because I deleted it obviously.

Anyway to fix that? Sorry if I missed it in this thread, its long and its easy to miss content.

Try this edit here.

Hello! First of all thank you for the awesome work, then i've got two little tweaks to do, if possible:

- I have set that th portal is showned on the omepage of my site (es: mysite.net), but the link in the menùs is like "mysite.net/forum/index.php?/portal/", it's possible to make it just "mysite.net"?

- It's possible to have just some of the words that are in the latest topics of a section? (like a news site that there is a "read more" link that send you to the topic page)

(sorry for my bad english)

1. See here.

2. Not with current version, recent posts will get part of the post for display.

if ($postnum == 0) { ?>
		{$topic['post']}
	else

See the admin/applications_addon/other/portal/sources/blocks.php, find the below code and add your own code after.

$entry    = IPSMember::buildDisplayData( $entry ); 

Is there a way to order the Portal "Latest Topics Main" block by a thread's creation date instead of by latest reply date?

I want to hide the MEMBERS link in the navigation bar and move it to the bottom block, and rename it "Registered Users" right behind "Overall Top Posters".

the current code is:

<?php

if ( ! $this->registry->isClassLoaded( 'portalBlocks' ) )
{
$classToLoad = IPSLib::loadLibrary( IPSLib::getAppDir( 'portal' ) . "/sources/blocks.php", 'portalBlockGateway' );
$this->registry->setClass( 'portalBlocks', new $classToLoad( ipsRegistry::instance() ) );
}

print $this->registry->getClass('portalBlocks')->show_board_stats();

?>

can you provide me the updated code to paste there to do this?

Not sure what you want to do.

If I post Thread A at 3pm and then post Thread B at 6pm, the portal will list them in this order: B first, then A.

However, if someone replies to Thread A, then portal will list them in this order: A first, then B.

I only want portal to order threads by the threads' creation dates, NOT the date of the last reply on those threads.

Not sure what you want to do.

On the BOTTOM BLOCK, I would like to add a LINK, I do not see an easy way to do so because I do not understand that PHP code. The bottom block lists the moderator team, top 20 posters, at the end of those list of links I want to add another link that shows the default MEMBERS list. How can I add a link to that existing BOTTOM BLOCK? It just looks code to me that doesn't make sense to non programmer.

If I post Thread A at 3pm and then post Thread B at 6pm, the portal will list them in this order: B first, then A.

However, if someone replies to Thread A, then portal will list them in this order: A first, then B.

I only want portal to order threads by the threads' creation dates, NOT the date of the last reply on those threads.

Sorry completely missed your quote while replying, there is no setting to change this, you will need to manually edit the files. What version of the Portal are you using?

On the BOTTOM BLOCK, I would like to add a LINK, I do not see an easy way to do so because I do not understand that PHP code. The bottom block lists the moderator team, top 20 posters, at the end of those list of links I want to add another link that shows the default MEMBERS list. How can I add a link to that existing BOTTOM BLOCK? It just looks code to me that doesn't make sense to non programmer.

If you just want to modify the html, see ACP > Look & Feel Tab > select skin > Portal > boardStats.

Oh, no problem. I'm using Portal v1.3.0 right now on IPB v3.4.2.

Haven't tested this much but try this.

Open admin/applications_addon/other/portal/sources/blocks.php

Find:

'order'  => 'tid DESC', 

Replace With:

'order'  => 'start_date DESC', 

Find and Remove:

krsort( $unpinned ); 

Save admin/applications_addon/other/portal/sources/blocks.php

Hi, I hope someone can help me, I'm not an IPB Pro but can find my way around. I purchased IP Content and gave up. I'm inlove with the portal and the ability to select the customized blocks, very simple. I found out about the portal after purchasing the news system that Mike John developed. To be honest, my original intentions of the news system was both something along the lines of the portal and news system. I basically need a home page and the portal seems to do just that from what I can see. Here is what I'm hoping to ultimately achieve...

In short, topics created in a specifc category/forum to be posted as news. Post/replies to the topic to be added as a comments button.

Rather than displaying every recent post/topic. Could I establish a designated category/topic in the forum, i.e. News and have those new topics display on the portal? I would have used the news system however I can't seem to wrap my head of how moderators or designated members would be able to post news without providing them admin access. I'm hoping to instead achieve this using the portal or if possible somehow combine the two?

Greatly appreciate any help, thanks in advance.

My test site... www.fightersevolution.com/forumstest

My prod site... www.fightersevolution.com/forums

Hi, I hope someone can help me, I'm not an IPB Pro but can find my way around. I purchased IP Content and gave up. I'm inlove with the portal and the ability to select the customized blocks, very simple. I found out about the portal after purchasing the news system that Mike John developed. To be honest, my original intentions of the news system was both something along the lines of the portal and news system. I basically need a home page and the portal seems to do just that from what I can see. Here is what I'm hoping to ultimately achieve...

In short, topics created in a specifc category/forum to be posted as news. Post/replies to the topic to be added as a comments button.

Rather than displaying every recent post/topic. Could I establish a designated category/topic in the forum, i.e. News and have those new topics display on the portal? I would have used the news system however I can't seem to wrap my head of how moderators or designated members would be able to post news without providing them admin access. I'm hoping to instead achieve this using the portal or if possible somehow combine the two?

Greatly appreciate any help, thanks in advance.

My test site... www.fightersevolution.com/forumstest

My prod site... www.fightersevolution.com/forums

The Portal setting "Latest Topics (Main) - Forums" allows you to select which forum to pull topics from. If I understand you correct, this update should achieve what you want. In regards to the News System, I'm actually in the middle of a major rewrite of the entire application. I'd appreciate any feedback you can give me to better this app. (Feel free to PM or email me.)

When trying to install on ipb 3.4.2 error This application cannot be installed. Is it in the correct directory? You cannot install third party applications into the IPS directory or vice-versa.

Make sure you've removed the previous portal in the admin/applications_addon/ips/portal/ folder.

Mike thanks for your response, I might give it a try. To be honest I think myself and many users out there are looking for a simple solution in terms of an all in one type of package for a home page. I feel that if you were to develop one it would be a huge break through for many users out there and speaking for myself I wouldn't mind paying for something that is supported by an active author and works great. Ultimately, it would be nice to have a portal with a news system built within it and have the ability to easily add custom blocks based on what the user needs. I mean not just pull from the IPB software itself but like include social icons, youtube videos, graphics, etc to make a home page complete and customizable. When it comes to blocks, a lot of people do not know how to code. I myself have a hard time.

I really hate to do this however to give you a better idea check out the Unreal Portal. It seems to suit my needs better for the most part in terms of a portal and news system together. However going by what I see, I wish it had better support with a more active author such as yourself. What I like and makes it easy for users for example with the unreal portal it has the ability to position the layout using graphical blocks and arrows. I guess what I'm trying to say is if we can simplify the process for users then it would be a great tool and more would use it. In addition, I feel that your portal/news system has elments that I wish the unreal portal had such as the social media icons at the bottom on each news post.

I am more than willing to continue sharing ideas and help out in any way that I can if it will ultimately result in a one package home page solution.

Thanks again for your time and efforts, it is greatly appreciated.

-Mike Tsymbal