Portal

Michael.J

Did the new version, but the numbers still do not have the portal ?

Wasn't added in the latest version. I'm having trouble with combination of pinned topics, will most likely remove them and add pagination next major update.

Its possible I've missed this, but I'm trying to make the main block pull out just the latest articles from the news section. I click on ADD BLOCK, but am unsure what I am needing in the Block Code box?

Add block is if you want to add your own, in the block code you would place your own html or php code. If you just want to display the latest topics, then just use the existing block. In ACP > Other Apps dropdown > Portal > Custom Blocks > Main Blocks, do you have a block called "Latest Topics Main"? And in the portal setting "Latest Topics (Main) - Forums", have you selected the forums you want to display topics from.

Add block is if you want to add your own, in the block code you would place your own html or php code. If you just want to display the latest topics, then just use the existing block. In ACP > Other Apps dropdown > Portal > Custom Blocks > Main Blocks, do you have a block called "Latest Topics Main"? And in the portal setting "Latest Topics (Main) - Forums", have you selected the forums you want to display topics from.

I understand how to get to the section to add the block, but its what goes into the Block Code box that has me stumped. I don't know where I should obtain the html or php code from existing functions with IPB. Can I use existing features that are with IPB? For example I want to put the mini calendar in the right column, what exactly do I take out of an existing block to make a new block that works with PORTAL?

Yes, I do see a block called "Latest Topics Main" and have that implemented. I made a forum called Front Page News and have it pulling from only that forum. However, what if I had a category in articles that was Latest News and I wanted that to be used in the front page main portal section? I assume you make a custom block, but, I do not know how to do that correctly as I get stuck around the block code and the html or php code.

One more thing, in regards to the "Latest Topics Main", how can I set it to limit the amount of text it will show on the front page. Maybe the Forum News Article is 1000 words long, but on the front page I don't want it to be more than 200 words befoe you have to click a link to read the rest in the forum?

Thank you.

I wasn't able to edit the above post, but I've read now in two days this entire thread, and have picked up some nuggets. I see how you can put ip content blocks now via the skeleton template of portal. So, thats helpful.

I also limited the recent posts in main to 500 characters, but it looks a but sloppy not having some sort of click here to read more at the bottom of the box. Just an FYI if there is anything in the works, that would be good.

However, ONE THING MORE, I'm noticing that the AVATAR is not showing in the recent posts shown up on the front page. But they seem to show up in other blocks, like latest discussions, status updates, etc.

Is there any documentation on how to create a new block? E. g. I would like to have upcoming events block from the calendar on the start page or block for a custom application, e. g. Links Directory or Awards.

It's kind of hard to provide documentation for something so broad. But blocks will accept any php code that you would place in a hook. So time can be saved by just using the php code from hooks e.g. This is an adaptation of the calendar hook for the portal block.

<?php
        $classToLoad = IPSLib::loadLibrary( IPSLib::getAppDir( 'calendar' ) . '/sources/hooks.php', 'app_calendar_classes_hooks', 'calendar' );
        $gateway     = new $classToLoad( ipsRegistry::instance() );

print $gateway->getUpcomingEvents();

?> 

Yes.

The block with no avatar is Latest Topics Main.

Still not seeing any problems, profile pics are displaying fine on my board - http://www.devfuse.com/forums/portal/

Upon uploading the contents of the "upload" folder, I go to applications page in the ACP to install the app, but it says: "Can't Install" "This application cannot be installed. Is it in the correct directory? You cannot install third party applications into the IPS directory or vice-versa." I'm running IPB 3.4.2 and Portal version 1.3.

I personally have never seen a blanket "can't install" statement or where you are even seeing that. Has your admin directory been renamed or has the path been changed or password protected? I just added the app to a dev copy of 3.4.2 and it installed fine.

MJ is great, he'll have you sorted in short order I'm sure.

I was just thinking .... Have you had the portal installed before on an earlier version of forum software? If so I remembered that in the last version change from 1.1 to 1.2 there was a separate set of instructions for upgrading to 1.2. Do you remember what your last version or current version you have installed is? This may be as simple as a missed version. Here's the install doc from 1.2 see if this may apply to you.

ReadMe - Install.html

The fact that I don't see

Portal

(Michael John DevFuse)

Leads me to think there's issues with your prior installs and files you've uploaded.

I would start by removing all the other portals (unreal, invisions), then reupload MJ's files making sure you overwrite and not skip duplicates.

So basically what i'm saying is that the installer isn't even seeing MJ's Portal at this point.

Sounds like it would have to be a custom modification. What would you use for? How would you use it? It seems recent topics really isn't recent if it's removing the most recent one.Maybe there's another way you can accomplish the same thing with using other plugins.

Okey, thank your for your answers.
But I changed my mind and would not use any modified hooks.
The originals are fine.
ty

I've never had this portal installed with previous versions. I used to use Unreal Portal but am since moving over to Portal since Unreal is no longer supported. I did not change the name of my admin directory, it's the default. This is what the ACP looks like by the way.

As mentioned above, check your admin/applications_addon/ips/ folder as well. Also run both of these queries and see if any results are returned.

SELECT * FROM upgrade_history WHERE upgrade_app='portal'
SELECT * FROM core_applications WHERE app_directory='portal 

I'm trying to manage the mini-calendar to look better, and perhaps its not taking in the CSS it needs.

What I have done thus far, is add the code {parse block="portal_mini_calendar"} in the skeleton layout.

I notice that the mini calendar looks correct, with proper spacing, etc. on any page where it is set up through out any theme. However it lacks spacing on the front page portal. Perhaps a property can be added to {parse block="portal_mini_calendar"}? Or, some other method I haven't noticed yet?

Sorry if this has already been answered. I did a search but didn't see anything. I can't get the portal to show as the main page as it used to. I made these edits, but it still doesn't show.

if ( ! defined( 'IPS_DEFAULT_PUBLIC_APP' ) )
{
define( 'IPS_DEFAULT_PUBLIC_APP', 'portal' );

In fact the only way I can get to it is by typing /portal.

This is with the latest IPB (3.4.2) and Portal (1.3.0). Worked fine for me before upgrading IPB and Portal today.