Portal

Michael.J

I'm almost positive it would not, or it'd be by a negligable amount. Google does not require or expect you to have dyanmic content. On the contrary, if you use the Portal as your homepage and leave it to select its own undescriptive site description with a non-attention grabbing "Portal" as the site title, it can definitely hurt your conversion ratios.

I would love the edit to apply myself if anything.

Here is the edit until the next version then.

Open admin/applications_addon/other/portal/modules_public/portal/portal.php

Find:

//-----------------------------------------

// Pass to print...

Add BEFORE:

// Meta tags

if( $this->settings['seo_index_md'] )

{

$this->registry->output->addMetaTag( 'description', $this->settings['seo_index_md'], false );

}

if( $this->settings['seo_index_mk'] )

{

$this->registry->output->addMetaTag( 'keywords', $this->settings['seo_index_mk'], false );

}

Save admin/applications_addon/other/portal/modules_public/portal/portal.php.

This will just use those same meta settings that exist in seo settings area.

Hi Mike, thanks for posting that for me now I see where I was going wrong :lol: What can I say i'm what we call in Scotland an eejit (idiot) 90% of the time.

Thanks again for the help :smile:

No worries. :) Once I some more time, might put together something a bit more fancy and release as a portal block.

Hello,i have a quick question.I have my forum installed in mysite.com/forum .In the main domain mysite.com i have a website with drupal installed.My question: how do i install to mysite.com .Wich documentation do i have to follow to achieve this.Thank you.

Inside the Documentation folder with the zip you download, check the "Add portal outside of IPB folder.html" file for instructions.

Thanks for the update! Seems to work great for adding meta tags.

I also added my own edit to pass the SEO title if you have one set. You have to replace the following line..

$this->registry->output->setTitle( $this->lang->words['portal_title'] .' - '. $this->settings['board_name'] );

With..

if( $this->settings['seo_index_title'] )

{

$this->registry->output->setTitle( $this->settings['seo_index_title'] );

} else {

$this->registry->output->setTitle( $this->lang->words['portal_title'] .' - '. $this->settings['board_name'] );

}

(If anyone else wants to apply the edit themselves)

Edited by Kirito

I've tried this before, but I have this error:

"Warning: require_once(./public_html/initdata.php) [function.require-once]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/user/domains/mysite.com/public_html/test/index.php on line 27

Fatal error: require_once() [function.require]: Failed opening required './public_html/initdata.php' (include_path='.:/usr/local/php5/lib/php') in /home/user/domains/mysite.com/public_html/test/index.php on line 27"

I tried to give a lot of "$path_to_ipb" but it does not work.

I've looked through the whole topic but couldn't find this, and the stuff that I did find, didn't work for me, it only messed some stuff up.

Just only one simple thing needed, which is the width of the left and right blocks. I need it to be just a little bit bigger. It's set to Large right now, but Larger makes it too big. Any advice on how to make them just slighty bigger?

Thanks in advance!

I have set "$path_to_ipb "/home/user/domains/mysite.com/public_html/" and the error disappeared, however, after entering the address of the subdomain displays a white page. How to fix it?

That is probably the correct path but it looks like it's masking some error. View this tutorial on revealing white pages error and report back what ever error your having.

I've looked through the whole topic but couldn't find this, and the stuff that I did find, didn't work for me, it only messed some stuff up.

Just only one simple thing needed, which is the width of the left and right blocks. I need it to be just a little bit bigger. It's set to Large right now, but Larger makes it too big. Any advice on how to make them just slighty bigger?

Thanks in advance!

1. Change the ipb_styles.css file but this would affect the forum layout if using the same width.

2. Add a css override in the Portal's skeletonTemplate template bit. Example of this here. If you need specific code written, let me know which side and which sideblock size you want changed.

hello i am using ip board 3.3.4 i just installed portal. and set portal menu tab on number one but i want know how i can set portal as homepage so when visit my site must display portal not forums tab

In the Documentation folder, you'll have a file called Add portal as forum home page.html with instructions for this.

Thanks, that is the code I've been trying to use, tried to use this bit:

[/<style>

.ipsLayout.ipsLayout_largeleft {

padding-right: 210px; padding-left:280px;

}

</style>

But couldn't get it to work unfortunately, I ended up messing up the whole portal while messing with this. My CSS skills are not that great yet. So yeah if you or someone could show me the way to go, I'd appreciate it very much. I only need the right blocks width to be a bit bigger than they are now (they are set to large).

My CSS skills are not that great yet. So yeah if you or someone could show me the way to go, I'd appreciate it very much. I only need the right blocks width to be a bit bigger than they are now (they are set to large).

Neither are mine but I think this should work. I added 20ps to each value.

<style type='text/css'>
.ipsLayout_largeright.ipsLayout_withright { padding-right: 300px; }
.ipsBox.ipsLayout_largeright.ipsLayout_withright { padding-right: 310px; }
.ipsLayout_largeright.ipsLayout .ipsLayout_right { width: 290px; margin-right: -300px; }
</style>

• 2 weeks later...

Sent 23 August 2011 - 04:49 AM
Until this gets tested a bit more, don't want to post it publicly.

If you open admin/applications/forums/extensions/portalPlugins/recent_topics.php

Find:

'order' => 'tid DESC',

Replace With:

'order' => 't.last_post DESC',

Find:

krsort( $unpinned );

Replace With:

//krsort( $unpinned );

Save admin/applications/forums/extensions/portalPlugins/recent_topics.php.

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------

Hi Michael,

How are you? I hope that you are well.

On your original portal the above edits worked perfectly. I notice that these edits are now included in the new 1.2.0 version! superb!

Today, I have completely removed all the old files and uninstalled portal 1.0, I then rebuilt everything.

I then installed the new portal after first upgrading the forums to version 3.3.4 and checkied all was working fine, but now I hae the same issue as before, topics not bumping or going back to the top in the portal but I have noticed today that if I show 20 topics for example (admin option) instead of the usual 8 that I prefer, some of the topics are showing at the top after being bumped, so it must be something to do with this do you think? becuase I then tried showing 20 topics and everything that I have bumped was in the correct order in the main portal section. Bumping within the forums themselves work fine, it's just the order that the appear in the main forum and side block that differ, any idea's?

Anyone have any idea on how to resolve the following problem.

I have my website set up on the root url and the forums in /forum

On the root of the site I have the index.php as supplied with the portal redirecting to the portal page.

I'm trying to setup a pull CDN through Maxcdn and when I enter the IP address of my server and test it then it says "ERROR: 302 Moved Temporarily", this is being caused by the redirection in the index.php as removing the index.php file allows the test to go through correctly. Unfortunately it means that the CDN doesnt work as its not finding the files to serve.

Anyone else have a setup using a pull CDN with the portal enabled to redirect or have any other ideas on a better way to do this?