Portal

Michael.J

yes, you can use ip content blocks. I use them on my portal page, just the way you propose, by pasting that code in the template. simple and it works.

Thanks for the response surferboy I do appreciate it. Which template though and where exactly? The skeleton template or what? LOL, help an old guy out!

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep MU-Ray, in portal > SkeletonTemplate

for me it's :

<div class='ipsLayout_content clearfix'>

{parse template="showBlocks" group="portal" params="$mainBlocks"}

</div>

<div class='ipsLayout_right'>

{parse block="blog_ad"}

{parse block="pubinfluence"}

{parse block="sb-block"}

{parse block="derniers_status"}

{parse template="showBlocks" group="portal" params="$rightBlocks"} 

</div>

Problem is, you don't have much flexibility to place the blocks between IP.Content and the portal system. Would be GREAT to have the portal aware of the blocks from iP.content.

Thanks very much!!!

I will try that code in the template and report back as to my success. If it works then great and others will have the code to use as well if needed.

Thanks again. I will be back soon with the results.

{parse template="showBlocks" group="portal" params="$rightBlocks"}

This last line of the code, specifically "$rightBlock", I could change that to top, left, bottom, middle or whatever. Correct?

Ray

Hi,

I would like to thank you Mike for this. It's absolutely amazing, I was searching a portal like that since a lot of time.

My first question is: As a Frenchman, our forum is in french, so is there a french version of your portal? I guess not, so where can I translate english words? I don't hate english for sure (!), but some French guys are very bad in that language, and it's much more better for us to have a french version. It concerned words in "Main Blocks", as "views", "replies", and "Last reply by".

Second question, and I'll stop: Can we delete all this social networks buttons, at the same place that english words I said earlier? Well, there are useless for us, and, in my point of view, they take too much space.

I hope my questions weren't ask before. :ph34r:

Thanks a lot for your answer,
Best regards.

Ok, so I would like to start by saying a big Thank You to the guys that got me on the straight path with embedding the slider in the Portal. I know have it working on my site and now I can edit the images to make use of my images and creativity.

Here is my code to show the location of the required parse coding.

post-287845-0-78765600-1347100437_thumb.

Again a big Thank you!!

I am also going to play with the coding to see if I can have multiple sliders working in different combinations at the same time and also embedded within any specific block whether it be in a sideblock or the center main blocks.

Ray
mappersunited.com

Hi,

I would like to thank you Mike for this. It's absolutely amazing, I was searching a portal like that since a lot of time.

My first question is: As a Frenchman, our forum is in french, so is there a french version of your portal? I guess not, so where can I translate english words? I don't hate english for sure (!), but some French guys are very bad in that language, and it's much more better for us to have a french version. It concerned words in "Main Blocks", as "views", "replies", and "Last reply by".

I've find, and now it's ok.
You have to go in "Languages" settings, in Admin CP, and find "Portal" tab.

I'm still searching for "social networks logos", if somebody has a response... :thumbsup:

EDIT: Ok, find it... Just deleted a line from "articles' file...

Not really a support question I guess but maybe someone already does this and would care to share :smile:

Trying to make a block that only pulls topics from specified topics, that I can basically just change the topic ID numbers.

Thanks for any help

Anyone know how to do this ?

Not really a support question I guess but maybe someone already does this and would care to share :smile:

Trying to make a block that only pulls topics from specified topics, that I can basically just change the topic ID numbers.

What kind of topic data do you need. Have you got the display end sorted out? I assume you just need the db query and code that pulls the topic? Does it need permission checks?

Sorry no French language pack is available. But I see you've already found the language files. If you would like submit your langauge file to the Marketplace, I'm sure that would be some other French language users who would find it helpful.

I'm having a weird bug again : the portal change the threads order... If someone post in an older thread, the thread will be back on top... Annnnnnnnd I REALLY don't want that. :/ Any fix ? I HAD this bug, corrected it but it's back with the upgrade and can't remember how I did it. -_-

What kind of topic data do you need. Have you got the display end sorted out? I assume you just need the db query and code that pulls the topic? Does it need permission checks?

Permissions aren't an issue Mike as the Portal is all guest viewable, just something to add into a block that I can pull a specific topic. A Featured Topic block is what i'm trying to achieve if possible :)

OKAY, so, to never lose that again, and see a fix one day...

To have the new THREADS in the GOOD order in the main block...

Change the ligne 189 / 190 of admin/application_addon/other/portal/source/block.php with :

$unpinned[ $row['start_date'] ] = $row['tid'];

$all[ $row['start_date'] ]	  = $row['tid'];

And the version number still says 1.1.0 on the portal while the 1.2.0 is installed btw. Thx for the mod though. o/

We currently want the Latest Topics to have the following setting:
Latest Topics (Main): 2
Latest Topics (Sidebar): 9
Don't pin pinned topics: Yes
Latest Topics (Main) - Forums: All

But we want an additional block above this with the first newest reply from forum id 2.
What would the code be for this?

But we want an additional block above this with the first newest reply from forum id 2.

Been trying to do this for the past couple weeks but no joy yet :( If I happen to find out I will be sure to let you know

Is there any way to have Portal take advantage of IP.Boards SEO settings?

The custom title, meta description and meta keywords?

This would make the portal significantly more appealing to me.

I'm not SEO expert but wouldn't that been seen in bad light by search engines? Both the Portal and Forums page using the same meta values? If you or someone else with SEO experience can let me know. I can still provide a file edit for your own use if you want?

Can we modify the Mobile App ?

We want to put a Right Block at the top, only in the Mobile App. Is it possible ?

No sorry the mobile app/skin uses exactly the same blocks as normal skins. Currently no way to show a block only in 1 skin.

If you have some php knowledge, check out the admin/applications/forums/sources/classes/topics.php and the function getTopics. If you need a full plugin created, you'll need to see a modder to create this for you as this is not a simple edit I can provide.

how can I please ban the portal for guests?

Open admin/applications_addon/other/portal/modules_public/portal/portal.php

Find:

//-----------------------------------------

// Pass to print...

//-----------------------------------------

Add ABOVE:

# No soup for you!

if ( ! $this->memberData['member_id'] )

{        

$this->registry->getClass('output')->showError( 'no_permission' );

}

Save admin/applications_addon/other/portal/modules_public/portal/portal.php

Been trying to do this for the past couple weeks but no joy yet :sad: If I happen to find out I will be sure to let you know

Example plugin code below, you said you've got the template bit done, let me know if you need help linking this source code to the template bit. Right now it's just printing the topic data straight out. Change # to the topic id.

<?php

/* Init */

if ( ! $this->registry->isClassLoaded('topics') )

{

$classToLoad = IPSLib::loadLibrary( IPSLib::getAppDir( 'forums' ) . "/sources/classes/topics.php", 'app_forums_classes_topics', 'forums' );

$this->registry->setClass( 'topics', new $classToLoad( $this->registry ) );

}	  

$topic = $this->registry->getClass('topics')->getTopicById( # );

print_r($topic);

?>

I'm not SEO expert but wouldn't that been seen in bad light by search engines? Both the Portal and Forums page using the same meta values? If you or someone else with SEO experience can let me know. I can still provide a file edit for your own use if you want?

I'm almost positive it would not, or it'd be by a negligable amount. Google does not require or expect you to have dyanmic content. On the contrary, if you use the Portal as your homepage and leave it to select its own undescriptive site description with a non-attention grabbing "Portal" as the site title, it can definitely hurt your conversion ratios.

I would love the edit to apply myself if anything.

Hello,i have a quick question.I have my forum installed in mysite.com/forum .In the main domain mysite.com i have a website with drupal installed.My question: how do i install to mysite.com .Wich documentation do i have to follow to achieve this.Thank you.

Archived