Download: Shoutbox

Pete T

Hi Michael, I'm having this same problem, and I did both things instructed above and still no hooks in sight. The files were uploaded, and during the installation I saw that said importing 3 hooks, but alas no links to them that I can find. Any other thing I can try by any chance?
  • Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Michael, I'm having this same problem, and I did both things instructed above and still no hooks in sight. The files were uploaded, and during the installation I saw that said importing 3 hooks, but alas no links to them that I can find. Any other thing I can try by any chance?

You can try recaching your apps from the Manage Applications & Modules page.

Hello. In changelog:

How I can disable this?

By disabling that hook from the Manage Hooks page.

Done that a few times; re-installed the shoutbox too but still no luck I'm afraid. Now this is a test site I've just installed brand new, while my real one is being upgraded and another problem seen by Tech Support. I may not suffer the same fate when I upgrade the shoutbox in my live site (as I know that the hooks were fine there). But if in the meantime if you can think of anything else, please let me know. Cheers.

Solved the above problem. I had the hooks folder with insufficient permissions when I installed the shoutbox. I changed the permissions and the hooks showed up in the Manage Hooks area but there were still no links from the Shoutbox's menu. I replaced all the files and the menus appeared. So, all good now. Cheers.

Having an issue with the Shoutbox (latest version) Global view.

When first upgraded and shoutbox was in view, all was fine. However since I minimized it yesterday, while working on IP.Content templates, it will not set as open any more. Even if I got to forums, maximise the shoutbox, upon clicking a link, it auto minimizes again. It doesn't seem to be saving my option to keep it open.

http://www.screencast.com/t/B47eGXwcT

It looks like the issue is that IP.Board is doing a parseInt function on the ID of the block, expecting that they'll always be numbers, but this block uses text for it's ID. I don't think I can reliably work around that, as I can never be certain that a number I pick won't be in use by a category ID. I'll have to see if IPS will consider removing the parseInt function from their code, otherwise I guess I'll need to remove the ability for this block to collapse.

Hey Michael, thanks for this excellent application. Wow!

Question, since I view this as a premium feature, my goal is to hide it entirely from non-paid members (Guests, Validating, etc). Not to mention, I don't think paid members would appreciate everything they write sort of out in the open. Right now I can prevent non-paid members from participating, but I'd like them to not even know it exists in the first place unless perhaps they knew the link somehow.

Thanks!

Thanks for the quick response! Actually, I've done that already.. even though it doesn't show as a tab for those members, when I log out and view my forum as a guest, I can still see the shoutbox "On Top of Every Page" ... (If I change it to sidebar, same thing). I want this on top of every page to be only for member groups I choose.

Oh, you're referring to the Global Shoutbox hook? Just set the group permissions for the groups so that they can't view the Shoutbox.

*facepalm* I'm an idiot. I think I'm just tired or I would have figured it out on my own, sorry to bug you. Not only does it do what I want it to do, it does it extremely well. Yep, I meant the global shoutbox... between that, Member Group -> Shoutbox, and Tab Permissions, now it's perfect.

Before I wanted some members to not even know it existed because I didn't know I could tweak it so much. Now:
-In the header as a tab for everyone to give people extra incentive to sign up
-Some member groups like guest give a permissions error when clicking the tab
-Enjoyable experience for members with the tab working, and the global shoutbox floating around being global-like. :tongue:

Thanks Michael!

Just found a bug with the shoutbox page check.

If the page check setting is set to disable, yet there are pages listed in the "pages list" text area, the disable page check doesn't work as intended. Once the items were removed from the text area, the shoutbox now works on all pages.

Hey Michael, is there a way to disable the globsl shoutbox hook so it doesn't appear on any page, just the tab up top, and it's still usable?

Right now I have View permissions off for all groups, and the shoutbox tab appears...it's what I want visually, but the tab still gives an error. Thanks :smile:

EDIT: Oh btw, I don't know if this is a setting problem or a bug or what, but I've had literally the same two messages from the same two users in the shoutbox for days now. The majority of the the time the red notification number doesn't appear, but very occasionally it does, indicating there are 2 posts, even though I've seen them countless times.

Archived