Download: Shoutbox

Pete T

Found some anomalies (bugs?):
I'm using IPB 3.3.0 final and shoutbox 1.3.0. In the Manage Applications & Modules section of the ACP, next to shoutbox 1.3.0 it says up to date. But shouldn't there be a message there instead, telling the admin that there is a new version 1.3.1 out? So that the admin will know that a new version is available as it's not user-friendly to always have to check the marketplace to see if there are any updates. Please don't get me wrong, Michael, i for one, am very grateful for your hard work and i love to see new and improved releases. But the updating process would be much easier if there was a way to alert the admin from the ACP itself. Then the admin can just visit the marketplace to download the new version instead of having to constantly check the marketplace every day. This will also ensure that admins are informed as soon as a new version is released. Sometimes i go without the new version for weeks before i happen to come across a new version. Finding updates should not be left out to luck.

At the bottom of my board index, there are no list of members using the shoutbox, although there are members using the shoutbox. I have enabled the corresponding hook but to no effect. I just noticed this problem as i was checking your screenshots.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Found some anomalies (bugs?):

That's more of a suggestion for IPS, I can't control how IP.Board decides to notify admins of updates to their products.

At the bottom of my board index, there are no list of members using the shoutbox, although there are members using the shoutbox. I have enabled the corresponding hook but to no effect. I just noticed this problem as i was checking your screenshots.

Do you not see the hook at all, or do you see it and it doesn't list anyone? They have to actually be in the Shoutbox app to show up there.

Haven't updated the shoutbox for a while, but done so today as I am about to upgrade my board, however I can't seem to find the option to change the look on the global shoutbox, having the text box on the right won't work with my new skin, it needs to be underneath, is this no longer an option?

Michael, I've noticed a strange problem that seems to crop up when you install a new forum skin. While I don't consider this skin issue a problem that you should deal with, I think it's indirectly creating install problems in regards to the Shoutbox.

I recently had my forums upgraded to IPB 3.3 and I wound up also upgrading to the recent release of Shoutbox for 3.3. However, when I installed the new versions of the forum skins for IPB 3.3, I noticed that the new skins were leaving out the "shoutbox" file directory that contains some image files and whatnot for the Shoutbox. I can't figure out if this is a skinning issue or rather it's the Shoutbox because I even tried recaching the skins to see if this would fix the problem, but it was a no-go. When I tried to pinpoint the problem, I noticed the the file directory "shoutbox" was missing from the new forum skins I installed.

Any idea why installing a new forum skin would cause the "shoutbox" not to update for the new forum skins? The shoutbox works fine for the new skins, but it's leaving out the directory for the shoutbox for those new skins.

I know this is a shot in the dark. Can you provide a code that formats the name to a special name?

Bascially, i need to this mod to show the special formatted names in the shoutbox.
http://community.invisionpower.com/topic/354495-download-e32-custom-name-style/

Please let me know if this is something easily done or would it be a custom paid mod.
I dont think the author of that mod is willing to do this.

Twista, you're in the wrong topic. Michael has nothing to do with that particular hook because it's not a Shoutbox feature. It's a hook created by someone else that you add to your forum software. Michael doesn't offer support for hooks or apps designed by other members. Only if it's a shoutbox-specific feature.

The name format you're asking about is designed by someone else and he doesn't offer support for that.

Michael, I've noticed a strange problem that seems to crop up when you install a new forum skin. While I don't consider this skin issue a problem that you should deal with, I think it's indirectly creating install problems in regards to the Shoutbox.

I recently had my forums upgraded to IPB 3.3 and I wound up also upgrading to the recent release of Shoutbox for 3.3. However, when I installed the new versions of the forum skins for IPB 3.3, I noticed that the new skins were leaving out the "shoutbox" file directory that contains some image files and whatnot for the Shoutbox. I can't figure out if this is a skinning issue or rather it's the Shoutbox because I even tried recaching the skins to see if this would fix the problem, but it was a no-go. When I tried to pinpoint the problem, I noticed the the file directory "shoutbox" was missing from the new forum skins I installed.

Any idea why installing a new forum skin would cause the "shoutbox" not to update for the new forum skins? The shoutbox works fine for the new skins, but it's leaving out the directory for the shoutbox for those new skins.

caching does not add files/folders. for any new skin for any hook/mod you have to copy the files/folders.
if the skin author HAD shoutbox installed when creating skin they MAY include that folder, but thats not often.

Dmacleo, the only problem is that if you have the Shoutbox installed, then by installing a new forum skin, you shouldn't have to copy and/or move the shoutbox folder into the new imported skin folder. Since the Shoutbox is an application, when you import a new forum skin, then once you install that skin, the shoutbox folder should also be added to the new forum skin folder. It works the same as when you install IP.Content and then install a new skin, the system should add the previously installed applications and incorporate them into the new skin. Unfortunately, when you install a new skin, shoutbox only adds the application to the new skin and doesn't import the image files for the shoutbox into the new skin.

It just sounds like when you import a new skin, that the shoutbox application is only going through half of the process and it's simply only installing the shoutbox while precluding the image files.

I'm just wondering if this is going to be fixed.

Mike, just updated to the latest version of Shoutbox and when I place a shout in the box and press the shout button nothing happens apart from the green time-out drop down at the top of the website, it is no longer possible to make fresh shouts. I have recached skins and master templates but this hasn't resolved the issue. I am running IPB v3.2.x

For the time being I have taken the Shoutbox offline, pending support.

I know this is a shot in the dark. Can you provide a code that formats the name to a special name?

Bascially, i need to this mod to show the special formatted names in the shoutbox.

http://community.invisionpower.com/topic/354495-download-e32-custom-name-style/

Please let me know if this is something easily done or would it be a custom paid mod.

I dont think the author of that mod is willing to do this.

There's already a setting to do this under Other Apps -> Shoutbox -> Settings -> Global Configuration called "Format shouter names?"

Dmacleo, the only problem is that if you have the Shoutbox installed, then by installing a new forum skin, you shouldn't have to copy and/or move the shoutbox folder into the new imported skin folder. Since the Shoutbox is an application, when you import a new forum skin, then once you install that skin, the shoutbox folder should also be added to the new forum skin folder. It works the same as when you install IP.Content and then install a new skin, the system should add the previously installed applications and incorporate them into the new skin. Unfortunately, when you install a new skin, shoutbox only adds the application to the new skin and doesn't import the image files for the shoutbox into the new skin.

It just sounds like when you import a new skin, that the shoutbox application is only going through half of the process and it's simply only installing the shoutbox while precluding the image files.

I'm just wondering if this is going to be fixed.

The current way this works is exactly how applications do, and always have worked. If an application (or a hook, for that matter) come with files that get uploaded to /style_images/master/, you have to also upload those files to each other skin's image folder under style_images. If you add new skins later you have to again upload the files to that skin's new style_images folder. IP.Board will not copy those over automatically.

It's the same thing that's going to happen if you have IP.Gallery or any other official application installed, and you install a skin that doesn't include the image files for that app; they won't get copied over from the master folder. Look at how the folder structure of the official apps works: they also include their app-specific image files under /style_images/master/ and it's up to you to copy them over to their other skin directories when you install them.

what would cause the Smilies/Emoticons to stop working in the shoutbox?

They come up when you press the smilies button.. But instead of showing as an image in the shoutbox.. It shows the text for the image instead... I went and posted in the forums and placed several smilies, and they work fine in the forums, and the IP.Chat... But they arent showing up in the shoutbox.

Okay, so something happened with the shoutbox... I was trying to uninstall it, and it said it was uninstalled... but the shoutbox info was still showing on the Applications & Modules page, but all it said was Shoutbox.. no version number...

So I removed all instances of shoutbox files from server... and reuploaded them all...It then showed the shoutbox info on App & Mods page, but theres no Admin Module or Public Module information... and it wont let me "re"install .. It seems something is "stuck" somewhere, but I don't know where..

So now, its not letting me uninstall or reinstall the shoutbox... Any idea what to do there?

Yes, that's still an option, just edit the hook's settings and choose Theme 2 for the 'Global Shoutbox Look' setting.

Where is the settings for it, I cannot seem to find it anywhere, have looked through the system settings area, cant see it there.

Also been to the apps page, and can't find it there either.

Its probably staring me in the face though lol

what would cause the Smilies/Emoticons to stop working in the shoutbox?

They come up when you press the smilies button.. But instead of showing as an image in the shoutbox.. It shows the text for the image instead... I went and posted in the forums and placed several smilies, and they work fine in the forums, and the IP.Chat... But they arent showing up in the shoutbox.

you have to DISABLE html in shoutbox settings, its an IP issue.

Hello michael. Great mod.

Im wondering if its a bug, but i cant send 2 message in a row without taking my mouse over, and click in the writing field?

Regards. :-)

That's not a bug, it's just not something anyone has asked for before. You can make a suggestion that that feature be added in the Tracker, which is linked in the first post in this topic.

So now, its not letting me uninstall or reinstall the shoutbox... Any idea what to do there?

http://community.invisionpower.com/topic/340044-download-shoutbox-33/page__st__680#entry2190774

Where is the settings for it, I cannot seem to find it anywhere, have looked through the system settings area, cant see it there.

Also been to the apps page, and can't find it there either.

Its probably staring me in the face though lol

Admin CP -> Other Apps -> Shoutbox -> Settings -> Hook: Global Shoutbox

I have the shoutbox installed, but I had to disable it from global view, because when viewed on a page using IP.Content, shouts can't be made. Yet you can post when viewing the forums or the Blogs, Download system, Tracker, etc. Any way of fixing it?

In another note, whenever I try editing a shout, it won't save the changes.

I have the shoutbox installed, but I had to disable it from global view, because when viewed on a page using IP.Content, shouts can't be made. Yet you can post when viewing the forums or the Blogs, Download system, Tracker, etc. Any way of fixing it?

That was patched in the latest version of the app, make sure you have uploaded all of the files for the latest version and do a hard browser refresh (Ctrl+F5).

In another note, whenever I try editing a shout, it won't save the changes.

http://community.invisionpower.com/topic/340044-download-shoutbox-33/page__st__980#entry2219891

http://community.inv...80#entry2190774

Okay well, I did try that, however, it did not work, when I ran that, and tried to uninstall, It give me a database error...

Soooo... What I did was went in and opened the file shoutbox_mysql_tables.php grab the sql from in there, and loaded that in...and then went and ran the uninstall, and it fixed it... So then I "re-re-re-uploaded" all the files again... ran the install... And all was fixed and running as intended... "whew"

So all is working now...but 1 tiny thing...

(all the buttons work, the smilies work, clicking on edit / load mod tools... That all works, the only thing that does not work is when you edit a shout, it wont save it, the box just sits there..) Could that be a JS file problem again?

Archived