Download: Shoutbox

Pete T

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Try re-uploading all of the files.

That's what I was afraid of, I think my provider is giving me beef or something lol. Had to have IP upload and install the board for me even.
I'll give it a go and if it's still the same, I'll be calling my ISP.
Thanks for the quick response!

Hi there,

I installed the shoutbox application for 3.1.x, and it was working fine for a long time, but then I uninstalled it, mistakenly installed the one for 3.2.x because I was trying to install the audio alerts hook, uninstalled THAT, and reinstalled the one for 3.1.x. For a little while both apps were working fine (shoutbox and audio alerts), but a few days ago the shoutbox stopped working for no reason I could find. Any time I tried to go to the Shoutbox page in my admin panel I got a blank white page that just said the shoutbox had been disabled.

I tried upgrading to 3.2.x (whatever the most current version is), figuring it might help and it was overdue anyway. I downloaded the shoutbox version for 3.2.x and the audio alerts version for that shoutbox, but I'm getting the same error. Do you have any idea what might cause that?

Thank you.

My website URL is http://synthetictruth.net

Hi, I have problem.

Shoutbox in my forum incorrectly displays characters.

ēŗūīōāšģķļžčņ[/CODE]

is displayed as

[CODE]??????š???ž??

Anywhere else in the forum it is displayed correctly.
Where is the problem.

How can I fix it?

Best regards,
Peteris

I can't reproduce the issue, I'd guess it's a problem with your database character sets, but that's not anything I've ever dealt with before.

Hi there,

I installed the shoutbox application for 3.1.x, and it was working fine for a long time, but then I uninstalled it, mistakenly installed the one for 3.2.x because I was trying to install the audio alerts hook, uninstalled THAT, and reinstalled the one for 3.1.x. For a little while both apps were working fine (shoutbox and audio alerts), but a few days ago the shoutbox stopped working for no reason I could find. Any time I tried to go to the Shoutbox page in my admin panel I got a blank white page that just said the shoutbox had been disabled.

I tried upgrading to 3.2.x (whatever the most current version is), figuring it might help and it was overdue anyway. I downloaded the shoutbox version for 3.2.x and the audio alerts version for that shoutbox, but I'm getting the same error. Do you have any idea what might cause that?

Thank you.

My website URL is [url="http://synthetictruth.net"]http://synthetictruth.net[/url]

What is the exact message you see in the Admin CP?

Hi Michael,

I recently updated my shoutbox to version 1.1.4 and then shortly after that updated to 1.1.5, I don't know if this is a bug, but I know I did not have this when I was running pre 1.1.4, essentially what happens: soon as you scroll in the shoutbox with in a second or two the shoutbox goes right back to the top, this makes it extremely difficult to read previous shouts because before you even have time to read them the shoutbox is back at the top. Is this a bug, do you know how I could resolve this issue, I have looked through the settings and I can't seem to find one for this feature.... bug, feature I don't know [img]

[/img] Can you help ?

EDIT:

I actually notice this happens when the shoutbox is refreshed, so every time the shoutbox is refreshed your back at the top, this is very annoying when you have a faster refresh speed turned on, just thought I'd add this extra info.

The changes between 1.1.4 and 1.1.5 were just these two bug fixes:

http://invisionfocus...e-help-entries/
http://invisionfocus...es-not-refresh/

Neither one of those would cause an issue like what you're describing. I've not ever seen this occur, nor have I heard anyone mention this issue. I'd recommend looking at what else you might have changed between then and now.

Could you give me a suggestion how I could possibly diagnose this issue I have, essentially what happens is soon as a anyone shouts the shoutbox will scroll back up to the top, so if anyone is reading previous shouts it snaps the shoutbox back up to the stop. I am at a loss here because I just don't know how to diagnose this...

Thanks

The exact message:

[color=#000000]Shoutbox has been disabled

It's literally an all white page except for that string of text. When I view the source of the page, there's no coding, no nothing, just those words.

ETA: The shoutbox shows up on the main page but won't allow shouts. There's not even a button to attempt shouting.

Hello Michael.

First let me thank you for your incredible work. i been using yout shoutbox since more then 3 years. thanks so much for this great feature.

well is the first time that i post a feedback to your shoutbox. all i can say is... is the greatest feature ever.

buttt I in this moments i have a problem. Last week i changed webhost after the change of the webhost the users were getting a really weird error. They were getting 0's followed by a blank space.
and this only happens to users using Internet Explorer. a 0 appears everytime the shoutbox refresh.
I already try to upgrade to the latest shoutbox for board 3.2 and the upgrade was succefull installed.
but the users are still getting the 0's error. I already try to rebuild the cache but the problem persist.

post-154626-0-94081700-1331611561_thumb.

thanks.

OK, I believe I found the issue. When it is checking for new Shouts, and there aren't any new ones to display, it's returning an empty string to the AJAX methods that re-populate the Shoutbox. But something there is changing that empty value into a 0 for some reason, and then that's getting pushed out there as new data to display. I changed the javascript that would add new shouts onto the page to not do so when the new content it's told to display is 0. Let me know if that works.

You may need to do a hard browser refresh (Ctrl+F5) to see a difference.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling three more times. The second time I deleted all the files manually after uninstalling and reuploaded. The third time I deleted the shoutbox folder manually, redownloaded the app from the IPS marketplace to make sure it wasn't my files, and reuploaded/reinstalled. No luck so far.

I can't fathom what could have broken so thoroughly that I get that practically blank white screen in the admin end. When I enable permissions, I can see the input for adding a new shout, but when I type up a shout and click submit nothing happens. It's the weirdest mystery. My admins swear they didn't touch anything before it suddenly pooped out but I can't imagine it dying on its own.

Do you think it could be interference with a different app or hook? Any merit to the idea of me disabling hooks and seeing if one of them is making this mess? I don't see how any of my current hooks could affect the admin end of the app but I guess it's possible...?

Thanks. I love your apps, I have your Tutorials program, and I don't mean to be a pest ;P

I really don't know what to tell you. Like I said earlier, nothing I can find in this app or in IP.Board should be giving a message like that. Yes, it is conceivable that some other mod is conflicting, so it would be worth trying disabling them, but I wouldn't hold out too much hope of that fixing it.

OK, I believe I found the issue. When it is checking for new Shouts, and there aren't any new ones to display, it's returning an empty string to the AJAX methods that re-populate the Shoutbox. But something there is changing that empty value into a 0 for some reason, and then that's getting pushed out there as new data to display. I changed the javascript that would add new shouts onto the page to not do so when the new content it's told to display is 0. Let me know if that works.

You may need to do a hard browser refresh (Ctrl+F5) to see a difference.

Sorry for my late response, but yesterday was a long day in work... anyway yesterday night i was in the my forum and everything was perfect, also i was asking other users and they said the problem just gone away after what you did.

Thanks so much Michael.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling three more times. The second time I deleted all the files manually after uninstalling and reuploaded. The third time I deleted the shoutbox folder manually, redownloaded the app from the IPS marketplace to make sure it wasn't my files, and reuploaded/reinstalled. No luck so far.

I can't fathom what could have broken so thoroughly that I get that practically blank white screen in the admin end. When I enable permissions, I can see the input for adding a new shout, but when I type up a shout and click submit nothing happens. It's the weirdest mystery. My admins swear they didn't touch anything before it suddenly pooped out but I can't imagine it dying on its own.

Do you think it could be interference with a different app or hook? Any merit to the idea of me disabling hooks and seeing if one of them is making this mess? I don't see how any of my current hooks could affect the admin end of the app but I guess it's possible...?

Thanks. I love your apps, I have your Tutorials program, and I don't mean to be a pest ;P

Are you sure ur using the correct shoutbox for the correct IP.B .. remember there are two versions of the shoutbox the one for ip.board 3.2 and the one for board 3.1

here the link for board 3.1 http://community.invisionpower.com/files/file/2285-shoutbox-31/
and here the link for board 3.2 http://community.invisionpower.com/files/file/4320-shoutbox-32/

Drag the resizer area at the bottom of the list of shouts to your desired height. This is talked about in the Shoutbox FAQ:

Q. What's up with the blank area I see below the list of shouts in both the full Shoutbox app and the Global Shoutbox hook?

A. That is the resizer area. If you hover your mouse in this section, you should see your mouse cursor change. When it does so, click and hold to drag and drop this section, which will resize the Shoutbox enabling you to see more or fewer shouts as desired. Each user can resize this to their own desired height.

You can download the previous version from the previous versions section on the right side of the file in the Marketplace, but I don't understand why you'd want to. What changed that you don't like? It'd be better to undo whatever it is you'[re referring to rather then downgrade, since you'd have to uninstall (and remove all shouts) and reinstall, and then you;d lose all of the other new features and bug fixes.

Archived