Download: Shoutbox

Pete T

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, for all of those complaining that you can't shout because the buttons don't work, again I will re-emphasize that the cause of that is that the javascript code that handles the button clicks is not getting properly set on your install. Here are some steps to fix your installation.

1. Verify that you have properly uploaded all files for the new version. Don't just assume that because you FTPed them that they successfully uploaded; most FTP programs will be very silent about any errors they had during the upload process and you may not necessarily know if a file failed to upload. At the very least, the following files should be downloaded from your site and compared with copies of the files from the download of this app to make sure they are the right version and same number of lines:
  2. /public/js/shoutbox.js
  3. /admin/applications_addon/other/shoutbox/xml/shoutbox_root_css.xml
  4. /admin/applications_addon/other/shoutbox/xml/shoutbox_root_templates.xml [*]Go to your Look & Feel -> Template Tools page in your Admin CP. In the 'Rebuild Master Skin Data' section, check the boxes for 'Rebuild HTML' and 'Rebuild CSS' on the left, and 'Shoutbox' on the right, then click the Rebuild button. [*]After that is done, back on that Look & Feel -> Template Tools page, at the top, click the button for Recaching all skin sets. [*]Next, go to the Look & Feel -> Manage Skin Sets & Templates page, go through each of your skins you use, and revert any customized skin templates in the 'skin_shoutbox' or 'skin_shoutbox_hooks' sections. A lot of javascript changed in this latest release, and if you customized any templates then the upgrade will not have applied them. [*]Finally, on your board itself, do a hard browser refresh (Ctrl+F5). [*]If the buttons still do not let you shout, then you either missed a step here somewhere, or something else is interfering. Feel free to PM me FTP and Admin CP details for your site explaining that these steps did not work for you, and I'll see what the problem is. Please actually do these steps before asking for help, though, I'm going to be a bit miffed if I fix the problem because you didn't follow this advice.

I have just done a brand new install of the shoutbox on a brand new forums and i get the button issue where i cant use the chat.

So this cant be due to a issue on our part, can you please fix.

Regards

I have just done a brand new install of the shoutbox on a brand new forums and i get the button issue where i cant use the chat.

Regards

I just wasted time downloading a new copy of Shoutbox and installing it on my wamp install. It worked fine :o

Your doing something wrong. Verify those JS files actually got uploaded. If you still can't get it. PM me and we can fix this.

Regards

As I stated in the post you quoted, if you did all of this and it didn't work, I need you to PM me the info for your site. But I will reiterate what Connor just said above: you have missed at least one part of those steps if you're seeing this error.

Hi Michael,

I have installed the latest build and if I make the Shoutbox online I get this error

Fatal error: Call to a member function announcement() on a non-object in /home/mkdonscl/public_html/admin/applications_addon/other/shoutbox/sources/classes/library.php on line 391

If its offline the board works ok

I am using 3.2.3

Thanks

Conrad

I have a problem with chrome, when you submit shout, a loading bar appears in ipb, but it DOES NOT DISAPPEAR!

I use Chrome, I have Shoutbox. I can't duplicate that. Double check this post: http://community.invisionpower.com/index.php?app=forums&module=forums&section=findpost&pid=2219891

Also that loading box is part of the IPB Core. I don't think Shoutbox has any control over that. Besides firing it.

I have a problem with chrome, when you submit shout, a loading bar appears in ipb, but it DOES NOT DISAPPEAR!

There's no need to shout at me, please just state your issue and I'll do my best to assist you.

There's nothing in this app that should cause that to appear and sty there in Chrome but not in any other browser, it's likely an issue with Chrome having an old version of the javascript file cached. In any event, there is a setting in this app to disable that bar, (Other Apps -> Shoutbox -> Ajax Refresh -> 'Disable the refresh image?'), so you should be able to turn it off if it's an issue for you.

I just tested this in Chrome, I cannot reproduce any such issue with the ajax refresh bar staying and not going away. As I said, there's nothing in this app that checks the user-agent and would only do that in Chrome and not another browser. Therefore, I'm not convinced it's 'definitely' a bug in this app.

No, there is no pagination to the messages displayed. That wouldn't be feasible since people are likely to be adding more shouts as you're paging through. If you want to see a whole bunch of old messages at once you should be looking through an archive.

Hiya Mike, I have an issue. At first, I thought it was a skin problem so I contacted Bitter over at Final Prestige about it but from he could figure, it doesn't seem to be a skinning issue so he advised me to ask you about it. Here's the issue: I recently bought the skin "Xgame" from Bitter to use on my site and everything pretty much works out ok but I have issues with getting the shoutbox to come out right. Here's what happened:

%7Boption%7Dxgameerror01.jpg' alt='' class='ipsImage" alt="" class="ipsImage" width="1000" height="626">

With the other skin I have on my site, it comes out fine since the skin is a full width type but this is the only one I'm having issues with. Just wondering if you might have any suggestions as to what might cause this to happen?

:: Update ::
Okay, so I did some stuff you suggested for another issue (I think for buttons not working) and it seemed to have fixed the shoutbox on my site. But regardless, would be nice to know your take on this issue for future reference.

Okay, so I did some stuff you suggested for another issue (I think for buttons not working) and it seemed to have fixed the shoutbox on my site. But regardless, would be nice to know your take on this issue for future reference.

Try the other button method. Where the buttons are on the bottom instead of side. See if that fixes the display problem.

Archived