Download: Shoutbox

Pete T

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi peeps i too have the same problem with the ajax refresh always on and when it comes to the shoutbox timing out i can't click the button to put me back on as that seems to be floating over the site and as you move up and down that follows.

I do have a little work around if you don't want to remove the shoutbox and start from fresh. it's simple and easy. Download 1.2.6 remove 1.2.7 from your server and upload 1.2.6 and your done. no need to downgrade or remove the mod... happy days :D

Hope this will work for you as it's done for me ;)

Version 1.2.6 and below will likely lead to resource issues and possibly getting your account suspended, downgrading is not a solution. I touched nothing with making the button move around the page like you're describing in this version, there is no reason 1.2.7 would cause that. It sounds like you probably have similar javascript issues that can be solved by running the steps I posted here.

For me i've not had anything coming back about my site being resource hungry ( can't say that for everyone ) so for me just doing that has helped me out and put the shoutbox back working without losing anything. I've only just seen that there was an upgrade so as you do download and install then after a while that's were i noticed i had a problem.

So as you do check the support topic and see if there's a fix, which i've not been able to see one so i seen if this would work for now until it can be fixed.

I will re-upload the new version and go through the steps you posted and will see if that helps.

As always great mod :D

Uploaded the files again and went through steps 2 and 3 refreshed the site and always well and working

For those who are still having trouble try deleting the shoutbox files and upload the new ones and go through the steps which michael posted and that should fix your problem.

There'd be nothing I could do about the issue of needing to save settings repeatedly to make them stick, that's all IP.Board.

I can't speak for whether or not you have to load from the database if using memcache, but that makes sense if the different caching methods maybe don't like to work with this app. Fortunately, you do have the choice of loading from DB or cache.

I can't speak for whether or not you have to load from the database if using memcache, but that makes sense if the different caching methods maybe don't like to work with this app. Fortunately, you do have the choice of loading from DB or cache.

bingo.
I don't think people remember or think about that setting which is why I mentioned.

Michael, i can't wait for you to release the bug-free and updated releases. I don't know about IPS hosted forums, but i've seen your mod on all the IPB forums i'm registered at, so you must be doing something right.

Also, can someone please tell me where is the option to remove the "Shoutbox" tab from the top forum menu, where it says "Forums, Members, Shoutbox". I don't see the need for the Shoutbox tab, since the shoutbox itself is already configured to show up in all forum pages. Also, i don't want to encourage my members to hangout only at the shoutbox page, as i would prefer they keep browsing the forums while participating in the omnipresent shoutbox. For my community, i want the focus to be on posting in the forums, but the shoutbox is somehow easier, faster and maybe more appropriate for trivial chats, so they both work well together.

What needs updated about this? I posted instructions about what people can do to fix their javascript errors and asked that they PM me if they do not work. To date I have received 0 PMs following up on that. As far as I can tell, this is the bug free and updated release. I'm seriously getting very tired of dealing with all of the "fix the bugs in this app!" posts, for this app no one pays a dime for, but you all expect me to take time out of my day to support, at the expense of my commercial products.

Like all applications, you can disable the tab from appearing in your navigation bar by editing the application in the Manage Applications & Modules page and using the Tab Permissions tab.

Set the ajax refresh rate higher if it's refreshing new shouts too soon for you to read through all of the old ones.

well then wouldnt that wait til that number to post all the shouts inbetween? the shoutbox (imo) should be instantly.

and we have members actively using it at all times. it would prolly not benefit to do it that way.

Archived