Download: Shoutbox

Pete T

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just upgraded my board from 3.1.4 to 3.2.3 and upgraded the shoutbox to the latest version, but I can't get it to appear on my forum's main page.

I did F5 and checked all the settings. Not sure what I am missing.

Check that the hook is enabled, check the hook's settings, recache the skins. Please read this topic, this issue has been covered a dozen or more times.

Sorry if this has already been covered - I tried to upgrade from 1.2.1 to 1.2.6 and although the files are in the correct places (AFAIK!) there is no upgrade showing on the Manage Applications page on the ACP.

Have I missed something?

Mark

If it doesn't show that an upgrade is available, then you have not successfully uploaded all of the new files.

All date formatting is done using PHP's built-in date formatting. That would be out of my control. It sounds more like a server level issue.

No worries, a few minutes after posting above, I remembered that my server is located somewhere in the USA, hence 2012 kicked in much later for the Shoutbox. Cheers.

Last year the Global Shoutbox caused my site to run so slow that I had to remove it (even though it was only visible to logged in members, not guests or search engine bots and running on a good server with lots of resources) which my members really miss. The main Shoutbox page seems less used now that members have to go to it to chat or catch up. IPS Support said its well known for using a lot of resources.

Are there any plans to improve the performance of the Global Shoutbox as I would love to see it back on my site?

I believe since it's such an important part of a forum, IPS should team up and develop this. Or better yet, offer this as a paid mod through collaboration with more developers. However, IPS already offers a paid chat system... which is awkward, to say the least. So, IPS would be glad to see the free shoutbox go out the front door.

Michael, i really really hope that you can hunt down and iron out all the bugs that are still in this mod, to lighten its load the server. Here is an idea, why not offer a Lite version of your mod? I think it's a terrific idea. Or better yet, add the Lite version as an option that can be enabled/disabled by the admin from the ACP. The Lite version should have the bare minimum set of options, with very basic chat functionality, in order to use as little server resources as possible. The admin can then enable sections of the shoutbox as needed, based on the resource usage per community.

IMO, and I easily can be wrong, most of the load is just due to how many people are refreshing/apps refresh rate. not sure the app itself can change how it queries which, again just an uneducated opinion, is what I think the real load is.

but I could be wrong.
LOL maybe a "Pro" version run off amazon clouds :) :)

FWIW: Mike actually has a couple of "todo" items to help reduce its resource usage, there were planned well before the 'hosted' guidelines change came in. :smile:

Most issues with Shoutbox imo are not due to the application itself, it has beem efficiently coded and he's done a great job with it. More so the use it gets and / or its configuration such as an ultra short refresh time or loading millions (well not quite) emoticons etc, although by its nature the more use it gets the more load it puts on.

I have suggested a compromise "idea" as such (Mike will be aware of what this is) although that was not practical unfortunately for anyone.

I've just uploaded a new version of this app which should hopefully bring it more in line with IPS's hosting requirements. In this version, the following things were changed:

• The default refresh rate for checking new shouts was raised from 30 seconds to 60 seconds
  • Code was added to prevent the refresh rates for checking for new shouts and for active users from being lowered lower than 30 seconds
  • Code was added to prevent the inactivity timeout from being increased past 30 minutes
  • The Global Shoutbox hook now does not need to auto-load all emoticons, they are fetched only when the Smilies button is clicked
  • The Global Shoutbox hook now does not need to load up any editor code, all uses of the editor are done only in the main Shoutbox app

In addition, a few bugs were fixed and new features added:

There is an open bug report about the archive, I don't know if that's the one you're referring to. This release wasn't about fixing every reported bug, it was about trying to address the IPS hosting issues. If there are other open bug reports you're concerned about, they'll be addressed in due time.

Archived