Download: Shoutbox

Pete T

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dear Micheal.. Good sir,

I have read this forum and your forum until my eyes are crossed but cannot find a fix to this. (It might be a problem with the forum software after it was upgraded by IPS last week).

I upgraded from the earlier version of Shoutbox to 1.2.0, and it worked, but no hooks were installed when it upgraded. So, following advice on this thread, I uninstalled it and reinstalled it in the ACP. I even reuploaded all files and tried it several more times.

It installed all the hooks this time, but I'm getting this:

Guest : (08 August 2011 - 12:28 AM) Congratulations, you have successfully installed Shoutbox!

Now you need to setup the shoutbox permissions in ACP -> Members TAB -> Manage User Groups -> Edit a Group -> Shoutbox TAB

The problem is there is nowhere in my ACP to Edit a Group under Members/Manage User Groups, and certainly nowhere to allow user permissions for Shoutbox.

Any suggestions? Do you take paypal?? lol

The shoutbox REFRESH causes anything being typed in the reply/post box to be erased.

So lets say a member is typing a reply while the shoutbox AUTO Refreshes.... its erases there whole reply.

Im using the latest shoutbox version on 3.14

thanks.

Any idea or fixes?

It doesn't behave that way for me, I can't reproduce the issue. Neither the Global Shoutbox hook, nor the main Shoutbox view, or when letting it auto-refresh or clicking the Refresh button, do I ever see it blanking that out the text you've put into that box.

This application does require a significant amount of resources, especially on busy boards with the global hook on lots of pages, repeatedly pinging the server to see if there are new shouts. All I can really suggest is raising the shoutbox refresh rate to a higher value, so it refreshes less frequently, or only show the global shoutbox on selected pages.

The refresh rate is already at 30 seconds. Don't really think I want to lower it more. I changed it to only display on the forum index and my whole site sped up a lot. Is there a way to have it just show on the forum index, and say one of my forums (the main one). I assume it has to do with the page check setting but I'm a bit confused how to use that setting.

Set the "Hook to enable?" setting to either the top or bottom of each page, whichever you prefer. Then set the "Type of Page Check" setting to include the selected pages. Finally, put this in the "Pages list" setting:

app=forums,module=forums,section=boards

app=forums,module=forums,section=forums,f=1

Replace 1 with the ID# of the forum to display it in.

Set the "Hook to enable?" setting to either the top or bottom of each page, whichever you prefer. Then set the "Type of Page Check" setting to include the selected pages. Finally, put this in the "Pages list" setting:

app=forums,module=forums,section=boards

app=forums,module=forums,section=forums,f=1

Replace 1 with the ID# of the forum to display it in.

Thanks that worked..

You need to talk to IPS about that, the ability to edit a group is a core part of IP.Board, not something this application creates.

Micheal, thanks for the input. Just wanted to come back and let you know I got the issue resolved. I discovered it was working fine in Firefox, but IE8 would not give me those settings. The problem was that the margin was going off the right side of my browser so I could not see them, and it wouldn't give me a scroll bar across the bottom to reach them.

The CAUSE of that issue was that I was running IE8 in Compatability Mode for All Websites. When I turned off Compatability Mode, the problem disappeared.

Just wanted to let you know in case someone else ran into the same issue.

Thanks for all you do.

Michael, this may seem like an odd question, but where is the HTML code for the SB announcement?

I want to take it, change it a bit, and use it for a custom BBCode.

skin_shoutbox -> announcement

Hello Michael,

The SB itself works 1+++ . We only have a problem with the smilies - there are only some less shown to select and there is no "show all" button on theme 2 on all pages. If i click the shoutbox tab at the top the "show all " is shown but it don´t work - nothing happens if you click it.

http://community.invisionpower.com/topic/340044-download-shoutbox/page__view__findpost__p__2142259

Then you need to be posting in the support topic for version. It's hard enough for me to keep up with this app as it is.

hi mate,
I just wanted to say that I installed your shoutbox on a fresh 3.2 install.
I got the same error that the guy was havingFatal error: Call to a member function announcement() on a non-object in...
I followed your exact instructions and that worked.
Maybe this needs to be pushed forward...

Archived