Download: Shoutbox

Pete T

Is /cache/skin_cache/cacheid_2/ writable? It should be CHMOD 0777 or 0755 depending on your server setup.

I actually got it to work, but can I use all the shoutboxs functions without those files? It seems to work fine without error. And yes it is chmod 0755. But nothing shows up.
  • Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought you said you got it to work. It won't work if the skin files aren't being built. :logik:

You said the skin folders are CHMOD 0755, do you know that that is the correct value? It's almost always supposed to be 0777, and should only be something different if your host has given you explicit instructions stating such. Do you have other skin files in those folders? How did you manage to get IP.Board installed if you can't get skin files to build?

I thought you said you got it to work. It won't work if the skin files aren't being built. :logik:

You said the skin folders are CHMOD 0755, do you know that that is the correct value? It's almost always supposed to be 0777, and should only be something different if your host has given you explicit instructions stating such. Do you have other skin files in those folders? How did you manage to get IP.Board installed if you can't get skin files to build?

It will let me CHMOD 0777. Should I recache with the 0777? And lately for some reason my site is really messed up, I get error messages all of the time. Like when I'm uninstalling a hook or something.

Unless you've been told otherwise, they should be 0777, set that then recache and see if it works.

Yes, it sounds like your site is messed up pretty badly. You should probably be opening a ticket to IPS about this so someone can check your site directly for what problems it might have.

Unless you've been told otherwise, they should be 0777, set that then recache and see if it works. Yes, it sounds like your site is messed up pretty badly. You should probably be opening a ticket to IPS about this so someone can check your site directly for what problems it might have.

My license expires in August, so if I ask past then I won't get help correct? And how long can I legally go without a license?

Correct, you only get support from IPS to help you with your site while your license is active. You can run your site without keeping your license active as long as you want, you just won't get support, new versions, or other license perks.

So then why is nulled versions illegal? I have never used one but if you can run an IP.Board site without an active license what is the difference (Not that I am going to switch to nulled, its just a question) I will probably renew my license a week or two after it runs out.

Because nulled versions are downloaded without paying for them, and IP.Board is a commercial product. You have to buy it if you want to use it, you just don't necessarily have to keep renewing your license. You just lose the licensed benefits.

If you've got other similar questions, please ask IPS directly, this is a support topic for this specific application.

Because nulled versions are downloaded without paying for them, and IP.Board is a commercial product. You have to buy it if you want to use it, you just don't necessarily have to keep renewing your license. You just lose the licensed benefits.

If you've got other similar questions, please ask IPS directly, this is a support topic for this specific application.

Okay man, thanks for all the help. I really appreciate it.

We where used to Inferno Shoutbox ... but now upgraded our site from ipb2.3.5 to ipb3.1.4 and had to install Shoutbox 1.1.4 ... it's cool but we're missing some features.
One of them is the use of the "/me" code ... this code gave us in example /me is very happy ... *'username' is very happy* (without the normal 'username': blablabla :smile: )
Can we implement the same in Shoutbox 1.1.4?

You can suggest new features here:

http://invisionfocus.com/tracker/project-7-shoutbox-feature-suggestions/

Note, though, any new features I'd add to this or any of my products will not happen at least until I get all existing products updated for IP.Board 3.2, and it would then only be in those new IP.Board 3.2 versions where I'd add new features.

Michael,

I know you're a very busy guy, and I appreciate all you do with these mods (I use several of your scripts).

When the shoutbox refreshes, it kicks the vertical scrollbar up a couple inches in Chrome. Is there anything that can be done to prevent this? The script works flawlessly in IE (of all browsers!), but Chrome is my browser of choice.

Anywho, if it can't be fixed, so be it... just thought I'd ask. Thanks!

Suggestion: When Shoutbox is not available for guests, they get an error message. Google bot reports it as 500 Internal server error. But should be better when error would be 403, not?

I think better solution would be something like "welcome page - if you want to see chat please register" for guests who don't have access to shoutbox.

Michael,

I know you're a very busy guy, and I appreciate all you do with these mods (I use several of your scripts).

When the shoutbox refreshes, it kicks the vertical scrollbar up a couple inches in Chrome. Is there anything that can be done to prevent this? The script works flawlessly in IE (of all browsers!), but Chrome is my browser of choice.

Anywho, if it can't be fixed, so be it... just thought I'd ask. Thanks!

Can you give me more details? Is this the global shoutbox hook, or the main shoutbox view? Screenshots maybe? I can't reproduce this.

Suggestion: When Shoutbox is not available for guests, they get an error message. Google bot reports it as 500 Internal server error. But should be better when error would be 403, not?

I think better solution would be something like "welcome page - if you want to see chat please register" for guests who don't have access to shoutbox.

It just calls the standard $this->registry->output->showError() function that is called hundreds of other places in IP.Board without specifically passing a 403 header code. Why is it so important that this particular app and this particular error should get a 403 error code when dozens of other places don't?

Why is it so important that this particular app and this particular error should get a 403 error code when dozens of other places don't?

Because Shoutbox is own application but topic is one little part of board. Welcome page looks more professional than simple ugly error page.

I disagree. It is an error page just like every other kind of error page, and explains why they are seeing that instead of what they expect. It is and error, and they should see an error page. I don't understand why the Shoutbox deserves its own unique error handling stuff to show a different kind of error page when nothing else does that, including any other third party apps I've ever seen.

Can you give me more details? Is this the global shoutbox hook, or the main shoutbox view? Screenshots maybe? I can't reproduce this.

Chrome 12.0.742.112 (up to date version according to the "About" box)
Windows 7

This problem happens in both views of the shoutbox, regardless of whether anybody has submitted any shouts or not.

Before Refresh:

%7Boption%7D

After Refresh:

%7Boption%7D

This happens regardless of whether the shoutbox is refreshed manually or on the automatic timer.

If there's something else I can share, please let me know, and thanks again!

Opera 12.0.742.112 (up to date version according to the "About" box)

Windows 7

This problem happens in both views of the shoutbox, regardless of whether anybody has submitted any shouts or not.

Before Refresh:

[img]

[/img]

After Refresh:

[img]

[/img]

This happens regardless of whether the shoutbox is refreshed manually or on the automatic timer.

If there's something else I can share, please let me know, and thanks again!

Yeah I've had the same problem since I installed it months ago. I've just learned to ignore it but some of my users have complained as well.

Archived