Download: Shoutbox

Pete T

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Please perform the steps I listed in the post I linked you to above. In the few instances where people have said they did those steps and it still didn't work, when I tried those exact steps for them it fixed the problem. So please, take the time to do what I have outlined.

Hello,

I checked your website and every search term I could possibly think of on here, but I was wondering if there was an rss hook(?) that would make it so that every time I post an article on an external news (wordpress) website, it puts a shout with a link to the article.

Basically an RSS Shout feed or something.

Thank You!

OK, for all of those complaining that you can't shout because the buttons don't work, again I will re-emphasize that the cause of that is that the javascript code that handles the button clicks is not getting properly set on your install. Here are some steps to fix your installation.

[*]Verify that you have properly uploaded all files for the new version. Don't just assume that because you FTPed them that they successfully uploaded; most FTP programs will be very silent about any errors they had during the upload process and you may not necessarily know if a file failed to upload. At the very least, the following files should be downloaded from your site and compared with copies of the files from the download of this app to make sure they are the right version and same number of lines:

/public/js/shoutbox.js /admin/applications_addon/other/shoutbox/xml/shoutbox_root_css.xml /admin/applications_addon/other/shoutbox/xml/shoutbox_root_templates.xml

[*]Go to your Look & Feel -> Template Tools page in your Admin CP. In the 'Rebuild Master Skin Data' section, check the boxes for 'Rebuild HTML' and 'Rebuild CSS' on the left, and 'Shoutbox' on the right, then click the Rebuild button. [*]After that is done, back on that Look & Feel -> Template Tools page, at the top, click the button for Recaching all skin sets. [*]Next, go to the Look & Feel -> Manage Skin Sets & Templates page, go through each of your skins you use, and revert any customized skin templates in the 'skin_shoutbox' or 'skin_shoutbox_hooks' sections. A lot of javascript changed in this latest release, and if you customized any templates then the upgrade will not have applied them. [*]Finally, on your board itself, do a hard browser refresh (Ctrl+F5). [*]If the buttons still do not let you shout, then you either missed a step here somewhere, or something else is interfering. Feel free to PM me FTP and Admin CP details for your site explaining that these steps did not work for you, and I'll see what the problem is. Please actually do these steps before asking for help, though, I'm going to be a bit miffed if I fix the problem because you didn't follow this advice. Are all along been in but nothing changed

Hello,

I checked your website and every search term I could possibly think of on here, but I was wondering if there was an rss hook(?) that would make it so that every time I post an article on an external news (wordpress) website, it puts a shout with a link to the article.

Thank You!

I don't know of any such mod, no.

Are all along been in

but nothing changed

Then you have not done those steps correctly.

Hello,

Thank You!

if you have it generate a topic in ipboard then shoutbox extender will do that.
so if you post on that external site, an rss feed generates a forum topic (typical rss import) then shoutbox extender will see THAT topic, shout it and link to it.

if you have it generate a topic in ipboard then shoutbox extender will do that.

so if you post on that external site, an rss feed generates a forum topic (typical rss import) then shoutbox extender will see THAT topic, shout it and link to it.

Thanks! I'm going to try that!

Can I change the url from "shoutbox" to something else? If not, it's fine.

Like any application, you can modify the /extensions/furlTemplates.php file if you want to customize the URLs.

Also I noticed the "stop shouting" doesn't work correctly - it pretty much capitalizes every word, Like This. even if there is no SHOUTING.

That is it working correctly, that's exactly how the similar feature works in IP.Board. This is also discussed in the Shoutbox FAQ.

Like any application, you can modify the /extensions/furlTemplates.php file if you want to customize the URLs.

That is it working correctly, that's exactly how the similar feature works in IP.Board. This is also discussed in the Shoutbox FAQ.

1. So that's where it is! Thank you.
2. Oh, I'll stay with it turned off then because It Looks Awkward To Have Every Word Be Like This! :lol:

OK, for all of those complaining that you can't shout because the buttons don't work, again I will re-emphasize that the cause of that is that the javascript code that handles the button clicks is not getting properly set on your install. Here are some steps to fix your installation.[list=1] [*]Verify that you have properly uploaded all files for the new version. Don't just assume that because you FTPed them that they successfully uploaded; most FTP programs will be very silent about any errors they had during the upload process and you may not necessarily know if a file failed to upload. At the very least, the following files should be downloaded from your site and compared with copies of the files from the download of this app to make sure they are the right version and same number of lines:

• /public/js/shoutbox.js
  • /admin/applications_addon/other/shoutbox/xml/shoutbox_root_css.xml
  • /admin/applications_addon/other/shoutbox/xml/shoutbox_root_templates.xml

[/list]

I've followed every step to the letter. I uninstalled the shoutbox, deleted all the files from the FTP and reuploaded/ reinstalled as well. Still unable to get the javascript for the Edit Shout function to work properly. Is there any know hook or app that will interfere with the edit shout function?

loading javascript from google (acp-settings-advanced-cpu optimization) will in some cases.

using minify in css (acp-settings-general) may also.

hmm, I don't have the google setting enabled so it's not that. I disabled minify and it fixed a small issue I had with IP.Downloads oddly enough, but still no luck with the shoutbox.

I enabled it in the top of each page. But I like to exclude shoutbox from a specified page like Chat. What's the suitable command I have to write for that (CHAT)?

Thanks in advance!

app=ipchat

hmm, I don't have the google setting enabled so it's not that. I disabled minify and it fixed a small issue I had with IP.Downloads oddly enough, but still no luck with the shoutbox.

You almost certainly have not done the steps listed in the post you quoted then. Every time someone has said they've done those steps but said it didn't fix the issue, when I tried those same steps on their board it did fix it.

Is it possible to disable Youtube embedded video's and only show the URL in the shoutbox and not effect the embedding of youtube videos on the main forums?

If a user posts a youtube video on the forums then it's fine. I just want to disable youtube video's in the shoutbox. If a user posts a link to a youtube video in the shoutbox I just want it to post the actual URL and not the embedded video. Is this possible?

Thanks

Is it possible to disable Youtube embedded video's and only show the URL in the shoutbox and not effect the embedding of youtube videos on the main forums?

If a user posts a youtube video on the forums then it's fine. I just want to disable youtube video's in the shoutbox. If a user posts a link to a youtube video in the shoutbox I just want it to post the actual URL and not the embedded video. Is this possible?

Thanks

http://invisionfocus.com/tutorials/article/150-shoutbox-faq/

Q. Ugh, people keep posting things like Youtube videos, big images, and other stuff I don't want to allow, in the Shoutbox. How can I stop this?

Hi Michael,

I cannot grant those with ACP access the ability to update the announcement in the Shoutbox. Even with all permissions set for the member or group, it keeps giving them a denied error message.

Thanks

You don't need to post in both the support topic and the bug tracker. As I stated in the tracker report, since the announcement is a system setting, you'll need to grant restricted admin access to edit system settings as well.

Thanks

That question is answered in the Shoutbox FAQ:

Q. Ugh, people keep posting things like Youtube videos, big images, and other stuff I don't want to allow, in the Shoutbox. How can I stop this?

I've been having a problem that's been impacting my community in that the shoutbox is using too many system resources and it's causing an increase in my server loads. I'm wondering if there is an ideal configuration to improve performance for the shoutbox so that it's not pulling too many system resources?

The problem that I'm finding is that my forums generally pull about 1-5 server loads. However, the usage of the shoutbox can spike those loads between 5-30. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Try setting the refresh rate higher, and the timeout rate lower. Show the Global Shoutbox hook on fewer pages. Experiment with seeing if loading shouts from the database or cache is better for your setup.

No matter what you do, though, the fact of the matter is that in order to achieve what this app does, it takes a significant amount of resources. Not all servers can handle this.

Archived