Avatar and Profile pic should be separate in 3.2

trancehed

I wouldn't be surprised if someone else has suggested this. And I mentioned it in another thread but I'm not sure if the staff saw it. Me and my forum members REALLY would like to continue having BOTH a profile pic, AND an avatar. That's the way it is in 3.1.x and I really don't see how taking that away is an improvement. Both serve different functions and this is really the only thing I dislike about the new software.

Thanks for listening!

/disagree

One central location is easier to understand for new comers and is more user friendly.

Agreed. I've received complaints that the profile picture is an annoying addition since most tend to just place their avatar there as well anyway, so it just creates an extra task when they want to change their avatar/general picture. A lot of users tend to remember who posted what based on visuals as well(that visual being an avatar) instead of remembering the username.

I see avatar only being the general image identity for a user as a great help for those of us that are more photographic/visual when it comes to memory.

Looking forward to this change in 3.2.

/agree

Our community also wants the ability to have profile pics and avatars

Agree as well. Why isn't there an option to allow the IPS customer to disable this themselves, instead of flat out removing it? So the people who look at profile pics and get all upset can go about their merry way and disable them, while us with communities who actually use them can continue to provide a consistent community experience.

Let me just say I just noticed the removal of avatars and I'm furious to say the least. This was a horrible decision -- avatars have been a part of bulletin board systems since the beginning and now IPB is trying to kill them. There is a large difference between the two - there is no gallery for users to choose from if they use a photo. I am not at all happy about this change.

I prefer both as well. One reason is for privacy. Some people are happy to upload a photo of their face into their profile so that people can see what they look like when someone views their profile but they don't want their face appearing in forum posts. I have it so that guests i.e. search engines can't view profiles. This prevents their photo ending up in a Google image search. Then like me, they have an avatar in the forum posts. Seems pretty logical to me.

Now what's happening and it's happening here with people like me just using an avatar. Other people don't know what I look like (that may be a good thing!!) I fail to see the progress in this.

3DKiwi

Taking away options that so many users enjoy is a mistake. Seeing that others have the opposing view I can see the validity of making it an option in the acp. But I think either way this will be one of those change that will upset a lot of people.

Apparently, there are many threads because it's something users want.

Apparently there are many threads because people who do not want avatars keep bumping these threads saying the issue has been decided already and there is no need for more topics on this.

The issue has been beaten to death and they are not coming back.
/bump

Archived