Community

Eduardo Bautista

Zimbra or Exchange?

I am going to choose an email service for me and my staff members at a website I am currently developing. I want to know which is better and why. We will try to share contacts and the calendar will also be useful. Just want to know from your experiences which one would provide a better experience for us.

My colleagues might disagree with me, but in my opinion Exchange is best. However, the other thing to bear in mind is that hosting your own Exchange is expensive. You're usually looking at a minimum of $1000 for a Small Business Server install with only 5 CALs. However, you could sign up to Google Apps Premier ($50/user/year) which will allow you to use Exchange-like functionality (GA will actually even pretend to be an Exchange server if you want). You can also get Hosted Exchange for about $12/user/month with hosters like Rackspace.

My colleagues might disagree with me, but in my opinion Exchange is best. However, the other thing to bear in mind is that hosting your own Exchange is expensive. You're usually looking at a minimum of $1000 for a Small Business Server install with only 5 CALs. However, you could sign up to Google Apps Premier ($50/user/year) which will allow you to use Exchange-like functionality (GA will actually even pretend to be an Exchange server if you want). You can also get Hosted Exchange for about $12/user/month with hosters like Rackspace.

Yeah, I saw that Microsoft themselves give a service called Exchange Online where you pay $5 a month per user. I am probably going to look into it.

Exchange is hands down the best option for business use, anyone saying anything differently is just hating on MS.... The next best option would be google as mentioned above.

I am assuming that this would also make outlook the best email client as well.

Personally, I use either Outlook or Mail.app.

I am assuming that this would also make outlook the best email client as well.

With Exchange yes........ and actually for me with all mail yes it works very well, but the exchanges features in outlook, you will only find in outlook.

Exchange Webmail is pretty well done

Your options are basicly
Office 365 or BPOS-S (Buisness productivity suite standard) both come with Forefront Online for Anti-virus/spam filtering and they have region specific data centers (in Europe, Singapore and North America)

I recommend http://sherweb.com for exchange. They're not that expensive, usually around $7-$10 per month per mailbox depending on if you want ActiveSync or not. They take care of all the updates and spam related stuff. I would not recommend trying to do it yourself. We've done it before, and it's a nightmare.

I recommend

http://sherweb.com

for exchange. They're not that expensive, usually around $7-$10 per month per mailbox depending on if you want ActiveSync or not. They take care of all the updates and spam related stuff. I would not recommend trying to do it yourself. We've done it before, and it's a nightmare.

It's not a nightmare if you take the time to read documentation, RTFM.

If you have the time to manage it (after you took the time to learn it), then sure. But I already have enough hats (programming for too many projects by myself, support, helping other incompetent people, etc...). Some stuff you just have to sub out to people who specialize in the space. The Exchange server we did have running (I didn't set it up originally) is over a decade out of date and should have been retired a long time ago.

Cost wise it really depends on how many mail boxes you have. If you just have a few then Sherweb is the most cost effective option. If you have hundreds of people in your organization running your own server may be practical, if you can hire someone to manage it all.

For me personally I don't have time to manage at all. And since we only have a few boxes, it's much cheaper and more efficient. We don't have to deal with updates, they do it for us :).

If you have the time to manage it (after you took the time to learn it), then sure. But I already have enough hats (programming for too many projects by myself, support, helping other incompetent people, etc...). Some stuff you just have to sub out to people who specialize in the space. The Exchange server we did have running (I didn't set it up originally) is over a decade out of date and should have been retired a long time ago.

Cost wise it really depends on how many mail boxes you have. If you just have a few then Sherweb is the most cost effective option. If you have hundreds of people in your organization running your own server may be practical, if you can hire someone to manage it all.

For me personally I don't have time to manage at all. And since we only have a few boxes, it's much cheaper and more efficient. We don't have to deal with updates, they do it for us :smile:.

What Exchange version are you running :o The GUI makes things 100 times easier, if you don't read the documentation :o

We were running Exchange 2003. But the cost of buying a server (well over $1000) or renting one (over $100 per month) and licensing a copy of Windows Server that's compatible with the new version (has to be 64 bit) with Exchange support is too costly. And that doesn't even include maintenance, making sure the server is up to date to handle spam and security. Cheaper to get a mailbox for $7-$10 with all that included.

We were running Exchange 2003. But the cost of buying a server (well over $1000) or renting one (over $100 per month) and licensing a copy of Windows Server that's compatible with the new version (has to be 64 bit) with Exchange support is too costly. And that doesn't even include maintenance, making sure the server is up to date to handle spam and security. Cheaper to get a mailbox for $7-$10 with all that included.

But by renting it, don't some host providers also handle most of the spam and security for you?

I recommend

http://sherweb.com

for exchange. They're not that expensive, usually around $7-$10 per month per mailbox depending on if you want ActiveSync or not. They take care of all the updates and spam related stuff. I would not recommend trying to do it yourself. We've done it before, and it's a nightmare.

So sherweb over Microsoft's own Exchange Online?

But by renting it, don't some host providers also handle most of the spam and security for you?

Yes, isn't that the point? They handle it all for you. It's all up to date, and you don't have to manage any of it.

So sherweb over Microsoft's own Exchange Online?

Yes. One good reason is support. Microsoft support in anything is usually poor at best (Unless you're a big enterprise paying them a lot of money).

Yes, isn't that the point? They handle it all for you. It's all up to date, and you don't have to manage any of it.

Yes. One good reason is support. Microsoft support in anything is usually poor at best (Unless you're a big enterprise paying them a lot of money).

Incorrect, the only thing Premiere support gets you is Higher SLO's the support staff is the same... Microsoft also has multiple data centers, insane redundancy and includes Antivirus (Server & cloud), Spam Filtering and some other things as well..

Just saying I prefer a smaller well established company where I can talk to people actually from the company rather than an outsourced call center. I highly doubt anyone you call at Microsoft is actually in the states or otherwise (call center in India most likely). Just my preference anyway. I'm sure Microsoft has millions of dollars to throw at their servers.

Just saying I prefer a smaller well established company where I can talk to people actually from the company rather than an outsourced call center. I highly doubt anyone you call at Microsoft is actually in the states or otherwise (call center in India most likely). Just my preference anyway. I'm sure Microsoft has millions of dollars to throw at their servers.

Wrong... Sure they have some sources in India, but the support offices for FOPE/BPOS-S/D are currently in Texas.... While network operations is in Canada and in a Microsoft owned office..

Wrong... Sure they have some sources in India, but the support offices for FOPE/BPOS-S/D are currently in Texas.... While network operations is in Canada and in a Microsoft owned office..

We talking about Sherweb or Microsoft? I'm sure Sherweb has contacted out some help during off hours, but during the day I always get someone from their Canadian office. No such thing happens at Microsoft, at least with the different Microsoft products been a customer of.

As I've said before Sherweb is my preference. I'm speaking from my experience as a customer.

We talking about Sherweb or Microsoft? I'm sure Sherweb has contacted out some help during off hours, but during the day I always get someone from their Canadian office. No such thing happens at Microsoft, at least with the different Microsoft products been a customer of.

As I've said before Sherweb is my preference. I'm speaking from my experience as a customer.

I'm talking about Microsoft... Only one part of the "Exchange Online" family is using the Phillipeans which is Exchange Hosted Archive but all operations is based in Canada & United States

Currently Support for Office 365, Forefront Online, BPOS-S/D is in Texas and California with field offices in Canada for operational support

Just because someone has an accent, doesn't mean your not calling America :wink: