Message Fadeout Delay

MageLeif

I was about to make a post about this when 3.2 b1 was released and I figured out that this was done on purpose to make sure one would acknowledge an action had taken place after a click. Reducing it by 2 sec would be an improvement for those of use who don t like long message windows. As for basic users remember that most of them are as dumb as a carrot and some of them even think a mouse is a foot pedal (yeah I'm exagerating but you get the gist) so a longer popup helps the people who are slow to read things :).

The pop up is a tad too long at the moment and I bet it is done on purpose.

Does it really take 5 seconds to read "You are now signed in"?

And, in that particular case, why do you even NEED a message? Of course you're signed in, your name is at the top now. The only reason there should be a message is if something went wrong or if you NEED to know an action went through, like when you send reports.

For most users and you got to remember that a VERY very large majority of people are as dumb as a carrot when on "the internets", getting a feedback popup is very warranted for actions they do.

Again it needs to cater to the lowest common denominator (like that expression?) of your audience.

Myself I like the feedback window but as a power user 5 seconds is too long...for most of the derps I sometimes have to deal with when taking support calls its fine :smile:

(by derps I mean people like a lady I spoke with this week who was unable to tell me what OS or Browser she was running. When I asked her what Browser she was running she said "I don t have time to go into task manager and check what browser I am running"...from then on I wanted to cut myself badly. So remember that most people are not as savvy as you when it comes to "the internets"

If you start to have to provide this in a UI then why not the delay for every hovers on the site or how long it takes the Report button to change color.
These details are best left for you to tweak the files instead of having these be extra settings in the admin panel.
its not like this is hard to change

If you start to have to provide this in a UI then why not the delay for every hovers on the site or how long it takes the Report button to change color.

These details are best left for you to tweak the files instead of having these be extra settings in the admin panel.

its not like this is hard to change

Then tell him how to change it.

I haven t looked but it is obviously in the js folder either in the hovercard.js or ips.js javascripts. Do a search for 500 or 800 or whatever is the length of the popup...unless for some reason the timer is in the database but I bet you the delay setting is in one of those two files.

Again my point was more that if you start providing a ui for that element then you should also provide it for all other elements so you can ask ipb where this particular setting is in the .js files to modify it yourself...that is the issue.

One other thing to mention if you are planning on changing it on your forum, it is used a lot in IP.Board, 80 or so places, some of which have short "You have logged in" messages, some have longer and more important messages. It's also used my mod authors to display messages who have no easy way of changing that 5 seconds to their own delay :)

Or a "Click here to continue".

No because if you start adding required clicks to feedback actions then why even have a feedback action in the first place as a popup and not use the previous "you will be redirected" message?
Asking to click a popup that just confirmed an action is the sure way to irritate people if that is what you mean.

How about confirmations that you just clicked a URL...how annoying this would become imo.

Archived