Forum Description on Hover

Lewis P

Hello again.

I must say that I am impressed, but there are still a few problems:

1) I run an RP site, and as such we often have the need for very long descriptions. This hook does not work well with descriptions above a certain length, and will drop out of place.
2) This hook will not bring HTML into it from the board descriptions.

If you need to see what I'm on about, I can give you access to the test site that I'm currently using.

It looks good, so this removes it from the html as well ? That's not good for SEO. Also would it not be better if the description showed from the right of the text and went along horizontally ?

Good idea just needs some adjustments.

No no, what I mean is that it will not convert, say, if you have html in the forum description, it'll skip that forum's description completely. Or it seems to anyways.

Ah good to hear that there is no SEO issue with this mod for me anyway as long as search engines can still pick up the description.

Hello again.

1) I run an RP site, and as such we often have the need for very long descriptions. This hook does not work well with descriptions above a certain length, and will drop out of place.

If you need to see what I'm on about, I can give you access to the test site that I'm currently using.

For that first issue, it is a bug with IPB. http://community.invisionpower.com/tracker/issue-31089-multi-line-tool-tips/

Any bugs with the actual tooltip is a bug with IPB - I am only using inbuilt methods.

SEO shouldn't be affected at all. The description remains in the source and is amended with javascript after page load. Disable javascript in your browser and take a look. :)

Just about to upload the update with a fix for the blank names.

I'd also like to confirm that HTML (well.... linebreak, italic, underline, strikethrough, images at the very least) works perfectly well, and I haven't changed anything in this update to change that.

Edit: Updated

Hello again.

Just my words! please fix it :)

Just my words! please fix it :smile:

As I've already answered....

(1) Is not part of my hook - this is a default scripting function in IPB 3.2. Any problems, report it in the tracker as a bug.

(2) I can confirm that linebreaks, images, italics, underlines and strikethroughs work in the description tooltip. Anything else, and you're out of luck. It's a limitation of the tooltip function and HTML I believe.

:)

• 2 months later...

As I've already answered....

(1) Is not part of my hook - this is a default scripting function in IPB 3.2. Any problems, report it in the tracker as a bug.

(2) I can confirm that linebreaks, images, italics, underlines and strikethroughs work in the description tooltip. Anything else, and you're out of luck. It's a limitation of the tooltip function and HTML I believe.

:smile:

It's not working at all for me. I installed this Hook and I can't find any setting to configure. I cleared all browser cache and also ran Cache All function in ACP. However it's not showing any tool-tip like behavior!

There is no settings to configure. It just works!

To confirm, this hook does work correctly in IPB 3.2.1 - I'm using it on

here

. Are you sure you're using IPB 3.2.x?

I'm using latest version of IPB v3.2.1 and I installed it correctly. My category description contains 2 small paragraphs embedded in <p> tag. Even though I'm using HTML in category description, it should initiate the tooltip right?

Any further help would be appreciated. Thanks for your quick reply!

• 4 months later...

Archived