Features removed from 3.1.4

Dreamlander

After some time checking the new board here at Invision, i can say, that for the first time, iam a bit disappointed with the release of a new version, in this case, IPB 3.2.0

Too many features in 3.1.4, removed in 3.2.0

Topic Description - About 30% of theTopics in my board have one.
Animated Avatars - Many members in my board have them.
Status online/offline - Why?

Etc Etc

For the first time, iam afraid, my members will not like the new version.

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm thinking why ips had to remove the features from 3.1.4 in the new version, it looks to me like a downgrade.
Maybe they will consider and implement again these features, rather than finding and depeding of some hooks.
It's so simple, to resolve this and make peace to all, please make some options in control panel to enable or disable the features removed.And those who doesn't want it to disable and those who wants to enable them.

Hooks should not be made to replace these as what is the point of haveing a product if people don't voice what they want. If people voice there options very much IPB Devs will see that people want it and put it back in. But the only way it will work is if there is much much voiceing going on.

I'm thinking why ips had to remove the features from 3.1.4 in the new version, it looks to me like a downgrade.

Maybe they will consider and implement again these features, rather than finding and depeding of some hooks.

It's so simple, to resolve this and make peace to all, please make some options in control panel to enable or disable the features removed.And those who doesn't want it to disable and those who wants to enable them.

Give the power of choice back to Admins and communities not tells us what we want.

Give the power of choice back to Admins and communities not tells us what we want.

The biggest problem I see happening here is the fact that yes hooks can be made for these missing features but more often than not the hook author vanishes or stops supporting the hook when a new IPB version comes out :mad:

Ya that happens all the time. Some thing like that is why I am still using 2.3.6.

Forum Rules Link Removed: Major Headache for Forum Administrators

The biggest problem I see with IPB is going to prove to be a very major headache for those of us who run active forums. Some of you may have already discovered that IPS has removed the "forum rules' link from the top of the forums. This is a major mistake. I'm going to run into major problems when someone tries to look for the forum rules link but cannot find it because some gumby decided to place the link in the footer section, obscured with small font text and with font colors so light that you will skip right over it.

Forum Rules Link Removed: Major Headache for Forum Administrators

The biggest problem I see with IPB is going to prove to be a very major headache for those of us who run active forums. Some of you may have already discovered that IPS has removed the "forum rules' link from the top of the forums. This is a major mistake. I'm going to run into major problems when someone tries to look for the forum rules link but cannot find it because some gumby decided to place the link in the footer section, obscured with small font text and with font colors so light that you will skip right over it.

Yeah, that was a bad move. Because of this, administrators will probably now have to make a forum only dedicated to rules just to make sure everyone sees it. I really hope IPS changes their mind about this. This is getting very irritating now.

I have one of my community that has about 75k members.
I can safely say that not a single person ever read the Forums rules...ever (besides me).

If they had they would not bother tech support with question like
person: why am I getting error #1000 when trying to rsvp for an event?
tech: maybe because you did not validate the email confirmation you were sent when you registered your account
person: oh there is an email sent back?
tech: yes it is clearly written in the rules of the forum you have to agree when you register and it is also written in the first email you receive as well as the registration screen
person: yeah I know but nobody reads those as they serve no purpose
tech: you don t say... so anyway check your email and validate the account

Repeat this about 30 times a day and you will get an idea about how helpful forum rules are for us atm. if its more than one sentence people can t be bothered to read when registering :smile:

I have one of my community that has about 75k members.

I can safely say that not a single person ever read the Forums rules...ever (besides me).

If they had they would not bother tech support with question like

person: why am I getting error #1000 when trying to rsvp for an event?

tech: maybe because you did not validate the email confirmation you were sent when you registered your account

person: oh there is an email sent back?

tech: yes it is clearly written in the rules of the forum you have to agree when you register and it is also written in the first email you receive as well as the registration screen

person: yeah I know but nobody reads those as they serve no purpose

tech: you don t say... so anyway check your email and validate the account

Repeat this about 30 times a day and you will get an idea about how helpful forum rules are for us atm. if its more than one sentence people can t be bothered to read when registering :smile:

Why is validating the account a rule? If you ask me thats just bad admin setup. If you want them to register for them to use/do something there are 100 ways to do it.

They also removed the local time in member profiles. :mad:

That is not correct. Hover over the "Online" in Profile...

The person is referring to the FULL profile. What if the member has no posts? You wouldn't be able to hover over their online profile in topic view.

Yeah, that was a bad move. Because of this, administrators will probably now have to make a forum only dedicated to rules just to make sure everyone sees it. I really hope IPS changes their mind about this. This is getting very irritating now.

Or you can just edit your skin and place a link there. It really only takes less than 5 minutes.

Archived