Features removed from 3.1.4

Dreamlander

The problem with IPs encouraging the editing of code is that people would quickly break something else and support would be overwhelmed.

Not if they gave instructions exactly what to change and everyone followed them. Or better yet... they should have left a lot of them in place, but as OPTIONS. That's what I keep doing when people don't like features in my apps is change them to optional, not strip them out for those who still want them.

I'm much more likely to post when someone else is online also. Or PM them sooner if they're on.

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure if this was already mentioned (13 pages is a lot to read through), but:

1. In ACP/Members, being able to filter by Unsuspended, Not Banned and Not Spam User,

2. Being able to filter out all 3 at the same time.

See. that's why they can't say they ahd good reasons for a lot of this. What benefit is there to removing a sort option int he acp????

Andddd there goes the green loading that never finishes and forces me to refresh again. The one they say isn't happening, but everyone reports it.

Very disappointed about the removal of the avatar galleries. A large percentage use them so now they will have a blank image. [img]

[/img]

Totally agree, this & the fact my members can't use images from their Photobucket accounts as an Avatar anymore is disgusting, incompetance is the word for the people who decided to remove these features.

amazes me that we all have paid hundreds of dollars for this software over the years with initial purchase & then renewing our licenses for Board, Gallery, Blog etc yet they go & change things & remove features that were part of the reason we purchased the software in the first place

I want the ability for my members to upload their Avatars to Photobucket or their own sites back so that they can insert the URL & host it where they want & not be forced into Gravatar crap because this is one of the many reasons I purchased this software 5+ years ago. so how about looking after your clients instead of peaving us off or in this case ripping us off by removing features already paid for

Well I'm not going to keep harping on the same complaints, but will just say that if they ever respond in here again it will just be to say everyone is wrong for wanting these things... Sometimes you have to realize that the customers are right. Or that they at least want something in enough numbers to warrant adding it back. They do sometimes finally admit that enough people want something back, but it's pretty rare.

I don't really understand why they merged avatars and photos honestly. Most everyone used something different for each.

And AGAIN the green loading thingy which never goes away. ahhhhhhhh.

Feature missing in 3.2 Option to disable images in posts (smilies and posted images etc.) [img]

[/img]

This is almost shocking. What a glaring, indefensible mistake this is. Here are three important reasons off the top of my head why this functionality is critical to some readers:

1. Browsing forums at work. Images call a great deal of attention to your activity.
2. Bandwidth. Not everyone rocks the FIOS connection IPS...
3. Racy avatars, etc... One may be interested in reading about their favorite sports teams, but would rather not have half naked chicks on their screen around their young kids. Now, there is no option to accommodate everyone.

As for topic descriptions. I just counted my two forums (one of which has 2 million posts). The index has 19/40 topic description utilization. The other one has 21/40. I guess I'm a "nobody" according to Matt. Thanks bud.

Regardless of their utility moving forward, I have 100,000's of posts that many/most won't make ANY sense without the appropriate topic descriptions in them. How the heck is this not obvious? Turn 'em off by default if you must, but don't tell me nobody is using them when they clearly are and don't make any accommodations to maintain backwards compatibility to display critical information that my readers chose to convey in that field.

Zone Plate - I totally agree. I work away from home a lot and sometimes I'm charged in the motel I'm in by the amount of bandwidth or I'm using my mobile phone as a modem. I pay like a $1 per 10 mb of bandwidth. Disabling avatars, images and signatures saves big time on bandwidth.

A lot of my members use topic descriptions. I know I do.

Yet another reason for me to stick with 3.1.4

3DKiwi

Zone Plate

- I totally agree. I work away from home a lot and sometimes I'm charged in the motel I'm in by the amount of bandwidth or I'm using my mobile phone as a modem. I pay like a $1 per 10 mb of bandwidth. Disabling avatars, images and signatures saves big time on bandwidth.

A lot of my members use topic descriptions. I know I do.

Yet another reason for me to stick with 3.1.4

3DKiwi

Yeah I am beginning to wish I hadn't updated to 3.2 now, although my community love a lot of the new features, the removal of topic descriptions & Avatars (Making them the personal Photo) are some of the things they are annoyed about & as stated already the removal of the allowance for members direct link to a hosted avatar on PB etc, they use Photobucket for their Avatars & Signatures, can still use PB for sigs but not for Avatars

on't really understand why they merged avatars and photos honestly. Most everyone used something different for each.

And AGAIN the green loading thingy which never goes away. ahhhhhhhh.

is that here or your forum?
I only see it with shoutbox enabled.

On this forum. I haven't tested as much on my own sites because nobody, and I mean nobody, posts there anymore unfrotunately.

Well if none of you made a suggestion in the suggestions area for some of these, make some. Because surely they're going to be forced into putting back the option to not show smilies, etc... if nothing else or too many will be complaining.

If their whole claim is that changes speed things up, then what is their excuse for forcing those images on everyone?

This is almost shocking. What a glaring, indefensible mistake this is. Here are three important reasons off the top of my head why this functionality is critical to some readers:

1. Browsing forums at work. Images call a great deal of attention to your activity.

3. Racy avatars, etc... One may be interested in reading about their favorite sports teams, but would rather not have half naked chicks on their screen around their young kids. Now, there is no option to accommodate everyone.

As for topic descriptions. I just counted my two forums (one of which has 2 million posts). The index has 19/40 topic description utilization. The other one has 21/40. I guess I'm a "nobody" according to Matt. Thanks bud.

Regardless of their utility moving forward, I have 100,000's of posts that many/most won't make ANY sense without the appropriate topic descriptions in them. How the heck is this not obvious? Turn 'em off by default if you must, but don't tell me nobody is using them when they clearly are and don't make any accommodations to maintain backwards compatibility to display critical information that my readers chose to convey in that field.

I hope they bring back this feature of disabling images. It's one of the most important feature for people browsing from work space and outside.

One of my forums for disabled people. They (and myself included) have various problems including vision and tremors, even if only very mildly or occasionally, and their movements may be slow. That means they wouldn't necessarily see the almost invisible links and buttons everywhere, and will then get disturbed and annoyed by things popping up at them when they hover over things. Their fingers can shake or slip on the mouse, meaning they might inadvertently click on an almost invisible link or button, or that they can't hold the hover long enough to click on it when (IF) it does become visible enough to them.

I'm already finding myself getting irritated here on this forum with the flickering of links/buttons when my mouse passes over them, or with having to click more often at times to get where what I want. One example is the lack of pagination in "Content I follow" where I know whatever I wanted to check was on, say, page 4 or wherever in 3.1.4, but I now have to click 3 times to get to it instead of once. This may sound petty to some of you, but when your fingers hurt all the time, it's not so petty to have repeatedly keep clicking.

Enlarging the editor now means dragging the corner... when before it was clicking a button. That can be even harder for someone with problem fingers than repeatedly clicking buttons.

Many of those members also disable images as it makes for easier reading for them (or for their reader software).

Nothing to do with being disabled, but I'm not happy about the avatar situation either.

These are only some of the various new features why I don't want to upgrade to 3.2. I've been using IPB/IPS forum software since version 1 and the days it came free with Fantastico. This is the first time I don't like a new version.

Some of us who may use our forums daily (or even all day, every day) might well get used to it, but some of my members tend to visit maybe once or twice a week, some maybe daily but not always daily and never for any great length of time. They won't get used to it and it (and some of the other features) will bother them.

On the subject of vision, the text in the post preview box (same in 3.1.4) is still too small and would continue to be a strain for me and some of my members, especially with longer posts. It's one of the few areas where I can't find how to change it without changing font size in other areas where it doesn't matter if the font size is smaller. They've increased the font size in the editor in 3.2 and in posts (now that's a good new feature), but not in the preview area, so we have to try to peer at it. I'd have thought the font size should be the same in the editor, preview area and post. At least in 2.x I could enlarge the font size for the preview.

Fast reply doesn't work properly? My previous post got stuck on "saving post"... had to refresh the page to see if my post went through or not...

Sheesh... I've just noticed the "View Auto Saved Content" in the Fast Reply box. Great idea (seriously, it is) but no way would I be able to explain these sort of new features to my members... They're just everyday people with varying disabilities, some of whom have never ever joined a forum before and are just looking for the support they might get from mine. Certain things need to be simple and obvious; I'd much prefer the option of being able to turn on or off certain features or easily change them.

Wow, I didn't realize they removed that. What in the world were they thinking? I'd like to know their justifications for this. Who the heck makes these decisions? -_-

Wow, I didn't realize they removed that. What in the world were they thinking? I'd like to know their justifications for this. Who the heck makes these decisions? -_-

With user notes their only reasonw as that they looked in databases and hardly anyone used it. That alone isn't justification if it's not harming anything. In case of this option missing there's nothing at all they could give for a reason other than if they claim nobody usesd it, yet it hurt nothing keeping it.

Personally, I love the new version and it has been a huge improvement over 3.1 however I believe IPS made a big mistake in removing so many small but useful features in a 3.x release. I could understand so many features being taken away in a 4.x release but this has been a big gamble.

For example... url avatars. I don't want to host images, reasons being they take up disk space, bandwidth, server resources etc. There are image hosting companies out there specifically there for that reason and we can't use them. Lets not forget avatars are now also shown on the board index now as well. There was nothing wrong with the old system and I have not seen a reason for removing it yet.

I really hope IPS adds a few of the most demanded features back. 3.2 will be so much better with them in my opinion.

Archived