Features removed from 3.1.4

Dreamlander

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So there should be no PM anymore??? If someone wants a conversation then a notification is pointless. And the documentation tells modders to not send a PM directly, but use the notification system for everything. So I guess if someone wants to ask a person something they should send it in a notification with no way to respond?

I did not say that - but little point in having a PM telling me of a reply to a thread for example - far better to have it emailed to me or put in the notification dropdown.

If someone wishes to ask you something they can PM you as before and if you are online you can get a popup telling you about a PM and showing the start of that PM.

I did not say that - but little point in having a PM telling me of a reply to a thread for example - far better to have it emailed to me or put in the notification dropdown.

If someone wishes to ask you something they can PM you as before and if you are online you can get a popup telling you about a PM and showing the start of that PM.

yes, but you're thinking of it from a user standpoint. I'm talking about from a coding standpoint. This is for my review app and I'm thinking in some cases when the moderator needs toe xplain why a review is being declined or why it's deleted or something... the user should be able to respond. And if the moderator has to manually send it themselves I doubt they would ever want to bother with it. So I would think i should be sending default private emssages in that case rather than notifications. But the way the developer documentation is worded it makes it sound like you should never do a direct PM through the app.

I'm thinking I may have to keep using the PM feature and just use notifications where it's unlikely to need a response from the user. But see if it was still having PM as a valid option for notifications then I wouldn't have to do a thing other than notifications and the users could decide how to get them. As it is I'll have to keep using my PM function, which isn't so great really. It does seem to work, but I hate using a function I wrote myself to do what the IPB files are already designed to do. I would change it to use their files, but who knows if it can easily be done that way anymore.

I'v notice less stuff the faster the board,I have not upgrade as yet to 3.2 but i take out a lot of stuff from my 3.1.4 and it load faster also search engines get to index things much faster then coming in to road blocks,so lot features IPS remove is not much a big deal for my self because i've remove lot of mine also,and all those bottons ect do slow down a site,that's just my 2 cent on this.Bless

I'v notice less stuff the faster the board,I have not upgrade as yet to 3.2 but i take out a lot of stuff from my 3.1.4 and it load faster also search engines get to index things much faster then coming in to road blocks,so lot features IPS remove is not much a big deal for my self because i've remove lot of mine also,and all those bottons ect do slow down a site,that's just my 2 cent on this.Bless

Speed is very important to me and this would be in fact a reason for removing features but the question is how much faster is the software without the green icon showing if a user is online?

• Management

Speed is very important to me and this would be in fact a reason for removing features but the question is how much faster is the software without the green icon showing if a user is online?

It eliminates the need for a SQL query so it makes a difference :)

I take my online/offline out from my 3.1.4 months ago and put it in the userinfopane with text instead then a little man how it use to be,the way i see it if you want something special just do skin edits and make it happen then blaming IPS for removing stuff.

%7Boption%7D

I really want to know, what is the reason behind that "removal philosophy"? Why can't you leave those old options, for people who want them? Or you will convince me that this is not possible in new version?
Why you removed trash can forum? That was great tool, and avatars also? I have over 3000 members, who have external avatars, now all of them must change them, because you don't allow external avatar, for heavens sake - WHY?!
Topic descriptions - what is wrong with that? Why didn't you leave them?

You are talking about some speed issues ( 3.2. is faster, because it has not online/offline status ), and on the other hand you forced people to put avatars on their servers! Do you know how much bandwith and speed issues problems will that cause?

For those who say that some option is worthless - I can say, lot of new options are worthless to me also, but I will not say that, because someone always makes it useful for them and their community.

And most important thing - can I use old skin, from 3.1.4. version? This skin is personally disgusting to me. I presume answer is no. %7Boption%7D

I haven't checked new version more thoroughly, but I will definitely stay on 3.1.4. until you make some changes that will add features like in 3.1.4., and I'm not the only one.

You cannot think that 77 % of your customers are happy. Every customer must be happy - I know that is utopia, but that should be your goal, in practice maybe never achieved, but you must stream to it.

It eliminates the need for a SQL query so it makes a difference [img]

[/img]

yeah, but (just as staff has said to me many times) one query is never going to make much difference anyway. Or not likely to other than complicated queries maybe. When trying to make something faster I personally try to eliminate as many as possible too, but if one feature is really wanted by many it's not going to, on tis own, slow thigns down hugely. Remember in the beginning people were whining saying that 3.2 was slower than 3.1.

Also it's driving me insane how often this company site isn't working. Not only is it down for hours every day, but the fast reply never consistently works. I have to refresh and try again... as I am doing with this post.

Agree with those 2 posts above. Database in 3.2 get many more unexcepted injections an that was in 3.1.4 - because of that 3.1.4 is much faster and stabille than 3.2 - you have removed many features but still 3.2 is very slow ... and many users get blank pages and errors ...and problems ...your site here is slow and many times just white pages and loading ...loading ...

Think that you make many steps back with this 3.2 ver. Hope that will be fixed ... maybe not in ver 3.2.1 ...maybe in 3.2.x !

regards

bosss

Also it's driving me insane how often this company site isn't working. Not only is it down for hours every day, but the fast reply never consistently works. I have to refresh and try again... as I am doing with this post.

I noticed that too. Half time I get green icons while posting or loading topics.

Feature missing in 3.2

Option to disable images in posts (smilies and posted images etc.)

[img]

[/img]

I don't know if this has been addressed or not but I have to say my users will not like this at all. I wonder if this can be addressed with a hook.

I don't know if this has been addressed or not but I have to say my users will not like this at all. I wonder if this can be addressed with a hook.

I don't think it has been addressed yet, I have some unhappy members already cutting down on their visits from workplace.

See... they can't just keep claiming everything has a great reason when something like that is also taken out. No clue what their reason could be on that. Just to have less settings cluttering up a page is probably what they'll say. Losing clutter is not improtant if it means losing a lot of necessary functionality.

They removed the trash can forum; they didn't remove the ability to not have things permanently deleted. The new system has deleted posts and topics show up in the "ModeratorCP" now instead of a special forum. You can view all deleted content in one spot, and you can send it right back to where it came from if it shouldn't have been deleted. You can't do that with a trash can forum.

You can still get the popup for private messages, just not for notifications anymore. Since the actual notification text contains little if any new information over what you can see in the notification title and link, I don't really see the point in that anyway.

what if I as an admin want to delete something and not have it viewed in mod panel?
this is why I move it, as it works for what I need to accomplish.

My peeve... HOW, exactly, is IPContent custom Database "filter" a replacement for the SEARCH functionality 3.1.x had by DEFAULT???

And if the answer is "use global site search" tis a POOR replacement for the inline functionality present in 3.1.x.

yknowat... bullocks it... I WANTED this BACK, several others as well... for the love of ALL do NOT axe the core functionality on this one IPS %7Boption%7D .
[url=" Lives, for now.
I'm sure everyone will agree this shouldn't be forced into a custom query scenario.

Did v3.2.1 add back avatar galleries? It's too bad that 3.2 seems to be a step back though, at least myself and members like the new default skin. Avatar galleries would prevent a lot of big boards from upgrading. IPB/IPS should not remove features and functionality that other software still has and is relied on for many communities, if IPS wants IPB to remain attractive to those comparing the various features and options between the different board software before they decide which to purchase, good for the competition but not IPB/IPS.

These need to be core features of the software, telling us to seek out a hook to get removed functionality back is not good enough. There's always the chance support and updates being ceased if the developer disappears and then what will we do?

At least the size of avatars can be changed again, but for goodness sake IPS bring back the other previous functionality such as link to an avatar via url instead of uploading it.

The point of a forum, as opposed to a chat room, is that you don't have to be "online" to participate in a conversation. For example, I am often online but not on our forums here. Yet if someone posts a reply to a topic I am tracking I get an email and instantly read the topic. I would not want someone choosing not to post because the little indicator next to me name shows offline.

In a perfect world, I would agree with this.
But we're "social creatures", and we're actually more inclined to participate when we someone is on line. (it's a bit like walking into a bar on friday night: if you see nobody there, you normally leave too...)
After years of using and managing board, in my experience, people tend to participate more when they see other people on-line. (not to mention if they're popular people).
I'm a bit curious about the decision making process chosen by ipb to get rid of some features. It makes me wonder if it was decided at an internal meeting where the premise was "we've gotta speed up the board, and to do that, we need to get rid of some features which are not essential".
Personally, I think when features are removed, they should give instructions on how to add them back by manually editing the code, even if they're no longer supported.

Personally, I think when features are removed, they should give instructions on how to add them back by manually editing the code, even if they're no longer supported.

The problem with IPs encouraging the editing of code is that people would quickly break something else and support would be overwhelmed.

Archived